: XM Traffic and Weather?

Kuya
05-28-11, 08:30 PM
Ok . . some basic questions . . .

1. Can I get weather if I don't have XM Subscription?

2. Can I get just Traffic subscription without XM Radio?

3. If so, how do I get it? Never had any XM stuff before.

4. Is the Traffic and/or weather from XM worth it?

Thanks!

Caddybill
05-29-11, 02:19 AM
Kuya,
I think I might be able to help with this also. To answer your questions...
1. No
2. No
3. & 4. XM radio is worth it just for the vast selection of programming available across the country. You never drive out of range of a favorite station.
Now for the traffic and weather... I used it while I was able to get it free for the first 3 months. It seemed to give a lot of false traffic warnings on the route I traveled. I only had used it on a stretch of I40 between Cookeville and Nashville TN during the trial period. I did renew the XM radio w/o the traffic so far. If we do a lot of traveling driving this summer, I might try it again. The weather could be useful as it could give you weather for a destination ahead as well as the current location.
It all boils down to how much long distance traveling you are going to do and if you think the XM programming is worth the price.

stevec5375
05-29-11, 09:36 AM
Save yourself some money and get Pandora or Rhapsody apps on your Android-based or iPhone. Plug it into the Aux input and listen to whatever you want. Pandora is free! My biggest gripe about XM is that the music repeats too frequently. I realize that having to plug in your phone and mess with it is not as convenient as the radio approach, but hey, it's free and the selection is infinitely greater.

Kuya
05-29-11, 10:34 AM
Thanks guys, for some good information.

I don't really want the XM Radio . . . . I have never had any interest in it - especially when I can plug my iphone in and have full access to may playlists. But the Traffic and weather had my curiosity, but wasn't sure if you can get those alone.

I called the XM radio 800 number and they offered me a full 90 day trial, of which I may take, but have no interest in. She DID however tell me that YES, you can get just the traffic as a stand alone for $3.99/month . . and weather would make it about $5.99 a month. I may do that. I do a lot of long drives for vacations and many of them are in winter. It would be nice to know what's up ahead.

Caddybill
05-29-11, 11:23 PM
That's good information. I did not get an offer of traffic & or weather only, without radio. Maybe I didn't ask the right questions.

Thanks!:bouncy:

etexlady
05-30-11, 06:36 PM
You can press the OnStar phone button and say "weather" and a nice lady will give you a five day forecast for your location. It's part of the OnStar service.

I did renew the XM radio. I've had satellite radio in other cars for several years and enjoyed it. I'm kind of a news junkie and like to listen to CNN and other news channels. I tried using Pandora and Slacker radio apps on my iPhone but the signal dropped so much I gave up.

stevec5375
05-31-11, 07:26 PM
You can press the OnStar phone button and say "weather" and a nice lady will give you a five day forecast for your location. It's part of the OnStar service.

I did renew the XM radio. I've had satellite radio in other cars for several years and enjoyed it. I'm kind of a news junkie and like to listen to CNN and other news channels. I tried using Pandora and Slacker radio apps on my iPhone but the signal dropped so much I gave up.

If I'm not mistaken, the nice lady only gives you the five day forecast if you have the "Directions and Connections" package, but not with the "Safe and Sound" package. Also, I have not experienced the dropping-of-the-signal phenomenon for Pandora or Rhapsody. It's probably locale related.

It's a pity that Iridium, that satellite cell phone operation, did not make it. That would have been ideal.