: Upper pulley swap

vjjack04
05-28-11, 04:26 PM
Folks,
I am sure this topic has been much covered, but I have not been on this forum often, as of late. Can you point me to a thread which discusses changing the supercharger pulley and teh benfit? Thanks.

kirbyCTSV
05-28-11, 04:36 PM
Folks,
I am sure this topic has been much covered, but I have not been on this forum often, as of late. Can you point me to a thread which discusses changing the supercharger pulley and teh benfit? Thanks.

Tons of threads do a quick search. But u have 2 choices. Increase lower or decrease upper pulley to increase ur psi

DrumStix
05-28-11, 04:37 PM
Without doing a search myself I will just say that an upper pulley swap is a great mod and one of the first couple of things most people like to do to their V. You will see an increase of about 5 lbs of boost and with a CAI, be making in the 530-550 RHWP range. It's a pretty quick swap with a press and puller.
The same goes for a 9.55" lower pulley. It's about the same gain, but you change out your lower balancer. You do not need to take the front drive off of the supercharger to do this lower pulley mod.

Caddy Wagon
05-28-11, 04:38 PM
Upper pulley swap is cheaper.

vjjack04
05-28-11, 05:01 PM
Thanks guys. KDI thanks for the simple overview.

Domsz06
05-28-11, 07:50 PM
Upper pulley swap is cheaper.

but you can't do it in your garage and you can't go back to stock with the upper.

Caddy Wagon
05-28-11, 07:58 PM
but you can't do it in your garage and you can't go back to stock with the upper.

Sure you can. :)

Domsz06
05-28-11, 08:08 PM
Sure you can. :)

Ok, the avg person can't since they don't have a press to press it on and off. Is that better? :D

neuronbob
05-28-11, 08:11 PM
^^^^
Yes, that's more accurate. :)

Caddy Wagon
05-28-11, 08:33 PM
Ok, the avg person can't since they don't have a press to press it on and off. Is that better? :D

Perfect. ;)

Domsz06
05-28-11, 09:24 PM
^^^^
Yes, that's more accurate. :)

Perfect. ;)

u two really have a press in your garage?

CTSV4now
05-28-11, 09:41 PM
You can buy a snout with the pulley already pressed on from at least 2 vendors on this site, making the swap pretty simple.

Domsz06
05-28-11, 09:42 PM
You can buy a snout with the pulley already pressed on from at least 2 vendors on this site, making the swap pretty simple.

well yeah, but then it's not as cheap as just doing the lower where you can put rings on at will...

i mean isn't the upper snout and pulley around 800? which is the same as a lower?

once the aftermarket lower is on it's 6 bolts, takes like 5 min...

CTSV4now
05-28-11, 09:51 PM
Lower seems harder to do on your own and takes longer. The hardcore guys end up wanting more power and end up doing upper and lower.

Domsz06
05-28-11, 09:54 PM
Lower seems harder to do on your own and takes longer. The hardcore guys end up wanting more power and end up doing upper and lower.

i just thought everyone did the upper cuz of the cost. I did the lower in about 6 hours, and now that it's done it takes 5 min to pop a new pulley on. Your right though, I'll prob end up getting an upper now too once my ported blower, snout, and TB come back. With the New HX, meth and what not I might even have to get new injectors. I know I will with the cam... time will tell :) he he he

Caddy Wagon
05-28-11, 09:57 PM

I do. I've been wrenching on cars for almost 30 years and have collected a decent set of tools in the process. That being said, I had someone else install my upper since they had done a few already, plus they were doing some more work on the car at the same time.

Domsz06
05-28-11, 10:10 PM
I do. I've been wrenching on cars for almost 30 years and have collected a decent set of tools in the process. That being said, I had someone else install my upper since they had done a few already, plus they were doing some more work on the car at the same time.

way cool!! I have a good set of tools since I have been working on cars for the last 18 years, but I am not privy to a press yet. My company moves me around too much to where I can't get a good work shop to keep my own tools and the bigger tools...

Perhaps when I have children I'll stop moving...

vjjack04
05-29-11, 10:23 AM
Tons of threads do a quick search. But u have 2 choices. Increase lower or decrease upper pulley to increase ur psi

I have done a search and read through some. I am interested in something I can do relatively quick to increase power but not hurt MPG...

mrl859
05-29-11, 12:37 PM
I have done a search and read through some. I am interested in something I can do relatively quick to increase power but not hurt MPG...Is there such a thing?

550HP STSV
05-29-11, 12:55 PM
you drive a 550hp cadillac and you want miles per gallon?

mrl859
05-29-11, 04:12 PM
you drive a 550hp cadillac and you want miles per gallon? A guy can hope!

vjjack04
05-29-11, 05:23 PM
you drive a 550hp cadillac and you want miles per gallon?

ok, lets look at it like this: would be good to increase some power without depreciationg the MPG. Right now daily driving (its an automatic) gets my wife (it's her car) about 16.4 mpg. Regarldless, still interested in what replacing the blower pully would get me.

shade
05-29-11, 10:57 PM
Replacing the pulley will make the engine more efficient and wont sacrifice MPG much at all. Now when you step on it you'll pay for the increased horsepower.

Domsz06
05-29-11, 11:20 PM
I have 550 rwhp and get 19mpg on the hwy if I don't get on it.

Mods normally destroy mpg. U did buy a 556 crank hp car. If u want mpg buy the CTS lol. All seriousness u can get great mpg in these cars it just depends on driving habits.

dvandentop
05-30-11, 12:05 PM

i have one, harbor freight 12 ton press is only like $120

DrumStix
05-30-11, 07:28 PM
Replacing the pulley will make the engine more efficient and wont sacrifice MPG much at all. Now when you step on it you'll pay for the increased horsepower.

Exactly. I have 650 rwhp and get 22+ mpg combined city/freeway.

Drum

Domsz06
05-30-11, 07:31 PM

Drum

only cuz you drive 55 :) ha ha ha j/k

DrumStix
05-30-11, 08:37 PM
only cuz you drive 55 :) ha ha ha j/k

....waiting for you....

Domsz06
05-30-11, 09:14 PM
....waiting for you....

bwahahahahahaha! soon I will be hanging up there with ya :)

DrumStix
05-30-11, 11:51 PM
bwahahahahahaha! soon I will be hanging up there with ya :)

Not with what is coming for my car. :cool:

laynrockers
05-31-11, 02:42 AM

Drum

Holy Shi* I have had my V for about 3 months and after resetting I am AV. 12.9 I admit I can't get my foot out of it but that's a huge difference. What modes do you have ?

I did a post about this a while back but never really got an answere. Was looking for mods or anything to get a few more MPG's On my old votec 5.3 throttle body spacers were good for a few. And usually a tune can gives an extra few as well.

Domsz06
05-31-11, 08:06 AM
Holy Shi* I have had my V for about 3 months and after resetting I am AV. 12.9 I admit I can't get my foot out of it but that's a huge difference. What modes do you have ?

I did a post about this a while back but never really got an answere. Was looking for mods or anything to get a few more MPG's On my old votec 5.3 throttle body spacers were good for a few. And usually a tune can gives an extra few as well.

he is pushing 650rwhp.

cam
ported blower
injectors
other stuff...