: Painting the grills, vents, license plate trim, fog rings ect.

laynrockers
05-28-11, 01:59 PM
Looking to see if any of you have painted the small parts on your V. I am looking for a nice memorial day weekend project. If you know the correct paint and thinner ect. Please let me know.

looking to paint:

The front upper and lower grill.
Fog rings
rear plastic and rear license plate trim
side vents
window trim

I know many wrap some of these parts with Vinyl. Is painting easier or harder?

I have seen both way performed on this site but after reading both were done by shops not the owners.

Let me know. Hope you guys have a great weekend !!

Domsz06
05-28-11, 02:09 PM
i had all my stuff painted, and he custom blended the paint. From what he said it really doesn't matter about the paint, it's the proper prep work. chrome is hard to paint.

Fireverm
05-28-11, 06:18 PM
Looking to see if any of you have painted the small parts on your V. I am looking for a nice memorial day weekend project. If you know the correct paint and thinner ect. Please let me know.

looking to paint:

The front upper and lower grill.
Fog rings
rear plastic and rear license plate trim
side vents
window trim

I know many wrap some of these parts with Vinyl. Is painting easier or harder?

I have seen both way performed on this site but after reading both were done by shops not the owners.

Let me know. Hope you guys have a great weekend !!

I had all of that and more painted by a shop a few days ago. To take all of it off, prep, and paint only took him and one helper less than 6 hours. Vinyl won't require you to remove the parts but fades and scratches quicker and obviously the grills can't be done with vinyl.

njdevilz1
05-28-11, 11:35 PM
Vinyl won't require you to remove the parts but fades and scratches quicker .

With all due respect , I am going to have to agree to disagree with you on that statement.
I owned a 2008 Jeep SRT8 and had all of the chrome pieces wrapped in vinyl.
I had the vinyl on for 2 years, through 2 canadian winters , sat outside all day during the summer and did not have any fading issues at all. Did not see any scratches. In my opinion , it held up better than paint would( no chipping or flaking or peeling). Front spoiler lip that is about 4 inches off the ground had some slight pitting due to every day driving abuse from the road , but by no means was it any worse than the paint on the rest of the front spoiler...in fact I would say it held up as good if not better than the factory paint on the front spoiler.

Positives on vinyl -- do no have to remove pieces.
-- can always remove and go back to original
-- less $$$
-- more durable than painting ( unless superb job in prep work is done on chrome pieces prior)

Negatives -- cannot do certain pieces ( grill obviously)
-- more complex and small pieces with alot of weird angles etc. has potential to show some spots where vinyl ties in together to get full coverage upon very close inspection.

Personally having chrome deleted /blacked out 2 other vehicles and used both painting and vinyl wrap , I much rather prefer the vinyl.

Perhaps you had a negative experience with vinyl before due to using low quality stuff? I have never had any issues at all.

Not sure how well the side vent pieces would go though with having them wrapped. I am no expert but looks like it would be very hard to slap vinyl on those and covering everything properly. All the other pieces though would be easy-peasy japaneasy

thebigjimsho
05-29-11, 01:28 AM
I've got some Krylon Fusion waiting to go on my grilles.

laynrockers
05-29-11, 02:11 AM

Can't say this hasn't crossed my mind..

Fireverm
05-29-11, 02:40 AM
With all due respect , I am going to have to agree to disagree with you on that statement.
I had the vinyl on for 2 years, through 2 canadian winters , sat outside all day during the summer and did not have any fading issues at all. Did not see any scratches. In my opinion , it held up better than paint would( no chipping or flaking or peeling). Front spoiler lip that is about 4 inches off the ground had some slight pitting due to every day driving abuse from the road , but by no means was it any worse than the paint on the rest of the front spoiler...in fact I would say it held up as good if not better than the factory paint on the front spoiler.

-- less $$$
-- more durable than painting ( unless superb job in prep work is done on chrome pieces prior)

-- more complex and small pieces with alot of weird angles etc. has potential to show some spots where vinyl ties in together to get full coverage upon very close inspection.

Personally having chrome deleted /blacked out 2 other vehicles and used both painting and vinyl wrap , I much rather prefer the vinyl.

Perhaps you had a negative experience with vinyl before due to using low quality stuff? I have never had any issues at all.

Not sure how well the side vent pieces would go though with having them wrapped. I am no expert but looks like it would be very hard to slap vinyl on those and covering everything properly. All the other pieces though would be easy-peasy japaneasy

I live in Vegas and the extreme heat in the summers really does a number on the vinyl after a while.

Maxniman
05-29-11, 09:31 AM
i had all my stuff painted, and he custom blended the paint. From what he said it really doesn't matter about the paint, it's the proper prep work. chrome is hard to paint.

what shop did the work? thanks

Domsz06
05-30-11, 01:27 AM

-- less $$$

i agree.

please show the results, as I have thought about touching my custom painted grills up that way

I live in Vegas and the extreme heat in the summers really does a number on the vinyl after a while.

I live in Houston which is just as bad IMO and my Vinyl is on summer two and still looks brand new.

what shop did the work? thanks

my garage... :D

thebigjimsho
05-30-11, 01:29 PM
On the '04 I needed the grilles powdercoated because there was no other chrome or silver on the front and not much chrome throughout. So stock grilles looked like braces on a kid. On the V2, the grilles look much better integrated, color-wise. So I've been hemming and hawing over changing. But I'll probably do it anyway...

ProImaging
06-03-11, 03:39 PM
im thinking about doing the grill and small chrome pieces in carbon fiber. ive got two grill out of a dodge ram srt-10 that im getting ready to dip. hopefully this weekend. will take some before and after pics. see what you guys think.

jb_bgg
06-03-11, 04:31 PM
Front grills,brake ducts, valence guards, and rear valence all painted to match.

PhxTriode
06-03-11, 06:52 PM
or the inverse

jb_bgg
06-03-11, 07:23 PM
I went back and forth with leaving the chrome outlines on the grill. My son defintely likes your look better, I was on the fence and figured I can always vinyl tape it out later...