: New to the site, new to GM, and I have questions CTS or CTS-V?

GMDuramax
05-27-11, 10:47 PM
Hey Everyone! New to the site and Cadillac. Usually always owned forgien except for my 2500hd. Well, getting the itch and finally ready to get a new addition to the family. Only problem, narrowed it down to 2 machines. CTS 4 3.6DI Premium or CPO'd CTS-V. Now I have been back and forth from the dealer several times this week, trying to find a CTS and going back and forth whether I should go CPO'd or new on a CTS and such, and then today, I saw the most B-E-A-utiful CTS-V parked in front. It was Diamond Black limited edition something or other. Really wasn't paying attention to the salesman, just got lost in the paint and the Yellow calipers.
Now I figured if I were to go new and spend $52K, I'd might as well be paying for a V since CPO is about the same with 13K miles.
Now I originally wanted a CTS 4 3.6DI because I live in Jersey, we do get snow, and it is practical. But looking at the V, and especially in that color, even if I can get a CPO'd V in Black Ice for around the same price, I would only want it for the LSA 556HP motor and suh-weet looking interior. I know if I do get the V, I'll probably get a dedicated set of snow shoes just for winter. (I know some of you are probably cringing at the fact I am considering on taking this beast in the snow, salt and rain.) Salesguy tried talking me out of a CPO'd V, but told him it would be nice to own one.
So, my question to you guys is this. If you had the choice, would you pick a CPO'd CTS-V or New CTS 4 3.6DI? And for those of you who own a V, how do you like it, anything bother you about it?
Any information would be helpful. Thanks guys!

GMDuramax
05-27-11, 11:23 PM
Ahhh. I know that is what I am afraid of. I'm gonna try and be practical and then find out, wait I don't like it, I want a V. No it wasn't a CPO'd Special edition V, it was new sitting in the shade. When I was looking at the sticker, I was surprised to see that paint option adds $4900 to the sticker, plus it had the gun metal staggered 19's. So that V was blk/blk with blk wheels and YELLOW calipers(Really bright) I think it would look better with silver, imho. I thought I could get atleast 3.9 on 60 months from Ally, but apparently V's don't qualify for that program.

Ok so you're on the island, you guys got slammed with about as much snow as we did this year. Did you leave the stock shoes on? I forget whats on those staggered 19's Michy pilots? Now I know I wont be drive in 10 inches of snow, but how does it do on 3 to 6? Last time I had RWD was in 2003 in a 94 Nissan 300ZX, man was that thing horrible in anything but sun. Since then its always been front or AWD. Let me know your feedback, thanks again!

mrl859
05-27-11, 11:41 PM
The $4900 Black Diamoind paint option also includes the graphite colored wheels with yellow calipers and Recaro seats, so it's really not a bad value.

baabootoo
05-28-11, 01:03 AM
The stock tires are summer only, not near freezing either, and NO snow of any kind. You'll want different tires for sure without a doubt. There's a bunch of threads on that too.

GMDuramax
05-28-11, 09:07 AM
You know what? I didn't really think of it that way. And I am not sure why and it worries me, haha. I must have gotten lost by the LSA, all the V badging, and the suh-weet looking paint. When you boil it down, normally factory upgraded tire and wheel packages go for $3500 etc, so you are right, $4900 is not completely insane.

And that is what I also thought about the rubber around the corners. If I do get the V, I'll definitely need to invest $2500 to get a dedicated winter combo. I wonder if the stock 18" on the 08-09 CTS 4 Premium 3.6di would have enough offset to clear those HUGE calipers.

Was hard to sleep last night, dealer was going back and forth with payment options and such on both the CTS4 3.6DI and the V. I plan on having this machine for a long time and I also do not mind getting a CPO'd machine especially when the first owner took a $15-$20K hit on it and I don't have to pay that damn $2400 Gas Guzzler tax. I guess I just need to sit down and weight the options out, but we all know how that turns out. I mean here in Jersey, We do get snow, and a few times it was pretty bad. Now I don't plan on driving in it, but just afraid of snow covered roads that have been plowed and the V isn't gonna be able to move and inch and be completely useless. Even with snow shoes.

PremierJosh
05-28-11, 09:45 AM
Have you driven both cars? I'm on my second V2 and if someone else has to have this one I will get another. It just does everything so well and for $600 in parts you can have a extra 90hp. I would pick up a set of snow tires and never look back. FYI I just picked up my 11 Black Diamond Sedan for 65k if that helps you neg yourself into a better deal. I also got 3.9 from Ally.

Domsz06
05-28-11, 10:15 AM
v all the way. no if's and's or butts.

GMDuramax
05-28-11, 12:24 PM
Josh, Was your V new? $65K is incredible! Dealer showed me list and it was $72,890. If I bought that one then the final would be $69,980 and he's telling me that is invoice, plus $1k. Hmmmm:suspect:

And no, I haven't driven the V yet because at first I wasn't serious is getting it. It was something I thunk up yesterday morning. But after looking as CPO prices, it is doable for me. And yes, I could use the Duramax, but sometimes, like this past winter I would be at work and there would be no forecast for snow then all of a sudden 5 inches appear on the ground. I just want to know if I get the V and I put snow shoes on all 4 corners in December, will the V be ok in some snow if I get into a situation like this past winter. The Duramax is great and I used to drive it a lot, but that was before Diesel was $4.55/gal and it cost $188~$200 to fill up the tank (Aux tank + Primary) I know the gas mileage isnt the greatest on the V, What is it 13 city 19 highway? But even the 3.6 does 18 city 23 highway, so not that much difference. Dunno yet, but its the weekend and ill mull it over some Corona, Johnnie Black, and a few steaks and burgers and hopefully Monday my mind will either be clearer and hungover, don't know yet.:thumbsup:

jwall09
05-28-11, 01:05 PM
Josh, Was your V new? $65K is incredible! Dealer showed me list and it was $72,890. If I bought that one then the final would be $69,980 and he's telling me that is invoice, plus $1k. Hmmmm:suspect:

And no, I haven't driven the V yet because at first I wasn't serious is getting it. It was something I thunk up yesterday morning. But after looking as CPO prices, it is doable for me. And yes, I could use the Duramax, but sometimes, like this past winter I would be at work and there would be no forecast for snow then all of a sudden 5 inches appear on the ground. I just want to know if I get the V and I put snow shoes on all 4 corners in December, will the V be ok in some snow if I get into a situation like this past winter. The Duramax is great and I used to drive it a lot, but that was before Diesel was $4.55/gal and it cost $188~$200 to fill up the tank (Aux tank + Primary) I know the gas mileage isnt the greatest on the V, What is it 13 city 19 highway? But even the 3.6 does 18 city 23 highway, so not that much difference. Dunno yet, but its the weekend and ill mull it over some Corona, Johnnie Black, and a few steaks and burgers and hopefully Monday my mind will either be clearer and hungover, don't know yet.:thumbsup:

I lived in KC, which gets snow too. The thing about the V2 is how smooth the power curve is. If you put the snow tires on and drive cautiously, your in control and shouldn't have an issue. The car at 1-15% throttle is really smooth and shouldn't cause issues. its 25%+ that you awaken a monster!

What everyone is trying to say is, you don't even know how much you will love the V, until you get it and drive it daily. Drive it once and you will get an idea. It's like that older Cadillac commercial... When you turn the V on, it really does return the favor!

RLJ676
05-28-11, 01:54 PM
This is a no brainer, get the V. The only downside of the V would be gas mileage, if you can handle 15 or worse avg then do it.

I live in Detroit and we have plenty of snow, more than plenty this past year. I run Blizzak's, 255's all around and made it to work on days the office was empty. W/ proper snow tires a heavy car like this has no problems at all, better than a FWD w/ all seasons I'd say all day.

Also, you can get snow tires and swap them on your stock wheels so you'll only be out the $1100 or so for tires if you really don't want new wheels. Or you can do like I did and run the snows on the stocks and use it as an excuse to go w/ 20's for summer.

That said as a GM employee I'd be happy too if you bought a new CTS, and so would you. Nothing wrong at all w/ them either, but 556 hp is hard to argue with......

baabootoo
05-28-11, 02:56 PM
You can buy 18" wheels at Tire Rack that will fit, and probably a lot less than any Cadillac wheel. I still say if you can't get low-mid 20s in mileage on the highway, you're driving waaaaaaay too agressively.

tedcmiller
05-28-11, 03:06 PM
Get a V. There is no comparison between the CTS and the CTS-V. I have driven both (the CTS for a week) and I can tell you that the CTS-V handles well, has plenty of power, and stops well too. The CTS does none of these things as well.

elphil
05-28-11, 03:25 PM
I can understand your conflict. I drove a standard CTS (Wagon) for 15 months and then went to the V (Wagon). Two different vehicles. Not only the difference in straight line performance but a large difference in handling. The V's suspension is far more sophisticated then the standard CTS. I've been driving for 55 years and the V, without a doubt, is the best vehicle I've ever owned.

The advantages of the AWD standard CTS is you can drive it all year round with no change of tires and significantly better gas mileage. The fun factor of owning and driving a V, priceless.

JFJr
05-28-11, 03:29 PM
Remember why high performance cars are more desirable: they have the best drivetrains, suspensions and brakes, as compared to their standard stablemates. That gives the driver more options to stay out of trouble, and a lot more fun on the road. Also, 21 mpg on the highway is excellent for a 556 hp super sedan. Cadillac hit a home run with the "V" cars.

Jud
(Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk)

mrl859
05-28-11, 04:27 PM
You know what? I didn't really think of it that way. And I am not sure why and it worries me, haha. I must have gotten lost by the LSA, all the V badging, and the suh-weet looking paint. When you boil it down, normally factory upgraded tire and wheel packages go for $3500 etc, so you are right, $4900 is not completely insane.What I meant was that the graphite wheels are an $800 option, the Recaros are a $3400 option, and the premium paint colors (Grey, White, etc.) are a $995 option. So at $4900 for all three with the Black Diamond paint, it is actuall slightly cheaper than a la carte. Also, FYI, the gas guzzler tax is $1300 for the manual and $2600 for the (Baron) automatic.

mrl859
05-28-11, 04:30 PM
You might be able to guide your dealer to Allen Cadillac's web site. They have a Black Raven Coupe for $5717 off sticker before rebates. Maybe your dealer will match their discount......or come close?

Trapspeed
05-28-11, 04:35 PM
Drive both of them and the internal debate will be over in about 3.9 seconds. :thumbsup:

jojipoji
05-28-11, 05:23 PM
If you are into performance than it's obvious. If you want a luxury car than I'd go elsewhere. For 50k you can get a real nice Audi or Beemer. I would never buy a cts. But a ctsv heck yeah

JimmyH
05-28-11, 05:25 PM
Get all-season tires for the winter. If you get snow tires and they see any pavement, the V will burn them up in less than a full winter. Snow tires wear rapidly on anything but snow.

And the awd system on the CTS4 is not what it's cracked up to be. It's rear biased, so stabilitrak over powers the awd system in the snow anyway.

GMDuramax
05-29-11, 03:31 PM
You might be able to guide your dealer to Allen Cadillac's web site. They have a Black Raven Coupe for $5717 off sticker before rebates. Maybe your dealer will match their discount......or come close?

Yeah I looked on their website and saw that?!? How do they figure thay can take off $5700? I mean over at my dealer, the V was 71,890, then he starts telling me that they do volume and never get beat on price and tells me invoice is $69 and change. Now I am wondering if I can go to the dealer with the listing and tell them can they do it and if not, why can't they if this dealer can? Hmmm??? Ill have to take a ride to the dealer Tuesday and see what they say. Because if they can't, I don't mind paying $900 to have the V shipped to Jersey.