: Fuse pull after running low-octane fuel?

zirotti
05-27-11, 08:10 PM
I am pretty sure the dealer filled the tank with low octane 87 when I took delivery. In my Camaro, there was a fuse you could pull to do a quick relearn after running 87 when you filled with 93. The V have the same thing?

Thanks guys.

Domsz06
05-27-11, 08:17 PM
I am pretty sure the dealer filled the tank with low octane 87 when I took delivery. In my Camaro, there was a fuse you could pull to do a quick relearn after running 87 when you filled with 93. The V have the same thing?

Thanks guys.

just put the 93 in it. The computer senses it and will readjust. If your stock it doesn't matter. The fuse pull for your camaro was false too, as it's computer does the same thing.

garfin
05-27-11, 08:48 PM
just put the 93 in it. The computer senses it and will readjust. If your stock it doesn't matter. The fuse pull for your camaro was false too, as it's computer does the same thing.

For whatever reason, the success of doing the fuse-pull on the L99 (automatic) 5th Gen Camaro SS is well-documented under these circumstances. It works, and the computer seems to have difficulty re-learning the tables for the higher octane gas without pulling the fuse. Interesting that it senses the lower octane fuel and backs off the power, but can't relearn when the good stuff is "reapplied"
I'm not sure if this is applicable to the LS3 (manual) cars. I don't think it is, but I could be mistaken.
It would make sense to try and pull the fuse in an A6 V if there's a noticeable loss of power after somebody put 87 in the tank... it couldn't hurt to try.

Best regards,

Elie

Domsz06
05-27-11, 09:21 PM
For whatever reason, the success of doing the fuse-pull on the L99 (automatic) 5th Gen Camaro SS is well-documented under these circumstances. It works, and the computer seems to have difficulty re-learning the tables for the higher octane gas without pulling the fuse. Interesting that it senses the lower octane fuel and backs off the power, but can't relearn when the good stuff is "reapplied"
I'm not sure if this is applicable to the LS3 (manual) cars. I don't think it is, but I could be mistaken.
It would make sense to try and pull the fuse in an A6 V if there's a noticeable loss of power after somebody put 87 in the tank... it couldn't hurt to try.

Best regards,

Elie

that's interesting...

I know before I modded if I was on the Hwy I ran 87 in it no issues. then i put 93 and still no issues and it dynoed at 460something before I modded it.

Pretty sure on our cars it doesn't matter.

garfin
05-27-11, 10:36 PM
that's interesting...

I know before I modded if I was on the Hwy I ran 87 in it no issues. then i put 93 and still no issues and it dynoed at 460something before I modded it.

Pretty sure on our cars it doesn't matter.

Hope you're right and you could very well be. I've certainly never heard of any other GM car with this issue, other than the L99 Camaro SS... and I'm really hoping this is an isolated case
Just glad the engineers figured this out on the Camaro - 'cuz there were an awful lot of frustrated/disappointed P.O.'ed customers - all because the dealers cheaped out and filled the cars up with crap to save a couple of bux on each vehicle. Guys were complaining they couldn't even chirp the tires on a WOT launch!!
I mean, how shortsighted can one be?!?

Best regards,

Elie

wait4me
05-27-11, 11:13 PM
The computer is always learning. It learns idles, fueling, spark, They all have cells that they work from and can apply percentages of corrections in each cell.

The spark percentage learning system is near that of the fueling ltrim system. Just slowed down alot.

The ltrim system for fuel and spark system have values that they are allowed to use for Ramping back in the target values. fueling is VERY fast for learning as it is very important. Spark, not so much. It will pull KR or torque reduction requests very fast, but the octane scaling functions learn slow. Every vehicle is different, every computer type is different. It is a user calibration value that the person in charge of that group would setup.
They could make it fast or slow to bring back the percentage, it is basically up to that original calibrator.