: AM antenna options?

Qnsryck
05-27-11, 12:25 PM
Dealer told me the reason my AM radio reception is so crappy is because I put tint on the rear window. Removing the tint isn't an option due to damaging the rest of the defrost lines. Does anyone know of another way I can install or modify an AM antenna?

baabootoo
05-28-11, 12:31 AM
There's still AM radio??????????? :) I would just disconnect the wire that goes to the window lead, and install a different antenna. It's probably under the rear package shelf, right? Now, you'd just need to figure where to mount it for decent reception.

GMX322V S/C
05-28-11, 11:02 AM
The radio antennas are screened on to the backlight. The OP may have installed metallic-based tint, which can affect mobile phone transmissions also (which is one of the reasons why I run ceramic-based tint).

Unfortunately, if the tint is metallic-based, the passenger compartment effectively has a Faraday Shield around it. There may be an antenna you can mount at the top of a door window opening, but it's going to be ugly...

Qnsryck
05-28-11, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately that's what I was afraid of.

mrl859
05-28-11, 06:43 PM
Shouldn't a good tint shop be able to remove the tint?

PhxTriode
05-28-11, 10:18 PM
The radio antennas are screened on to the backlight. The OP may have installed metallic-based tint, which can affect mobile phone transmissions also (which is one of the reasons why I run ceramic-based tint).

Unfortunately, if the tint is metallic-based, the passenger compartment effectively has a Faraday Shield around it. There may be an antenna you can mount at the top of a door window opening, but it's going to be ugly...

Great info