: Is mine just goofy?

Neutrocuted
05-27-11, 02:15 AM
Is mine just goofy :cookoo: or do all STS's take 2 presses of the button to fully open the sun roof?

If I press the button to the 2nd click to auto open, the roof slides back to around 3 inches from full open then stops. Then I have to press it again to get it to go to full open.

Is this how it is suppose to work? If it is, it sure is weird! I could understand stopping before closing to keep idiots :lolsign: from closing their or someone else's fingers in the thing.. but to open it??

Is it programmable?

jrrsmith18
05-27-11, 09:46 AM
nope, youre not alone our 06 and 08 sts does the same thing with their sunroofs.

chazglenn3
05-27-11, 10:09 AM
And my 1999 and 2000 STS were also the same. The first press opens to the buffeting limiting position...the second press is fully open. Try both positions while at freeway speeds...you will understand the difference.

Ludacrisvp
05-27-11, 11:14 AM
Yeah basically all caddy sunroofs operate this way. Like was said it's just to reduce wind noise at higher speeds. Even in the gigantic srx roof there is a stop point prior to fully open.

Sent from my unlocked jailbroken iPhone 4 iOS 4.2.1

Neutrocuted
05-27-11, 02:13 PM
Cool! But my CTS didn't do that, but then again, it wasn't push button. It had a dial. But as I remember, the dial had a detent that you had to go past to get to full open position. I will try it at speed and see if there is a difference in the buffeting.

Thanks Guys!

EChas3
05-27-11, 10:49 PM
This is intended to protect the passengers in back. A lot of forum members complain vigorously.

My only sunroof gripe is that they should have included closing the sunroof when closing all the windows via the remote. What's with that?

1_bad_cad
05-28-11, 12:34 AM
My sunroof automatically closes when the car turns off or goes into accessory mode, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the windows to close with the remote. Are all STS's supposed to do it for just ones that have that option?

Neutrocuted
05-28-11, 01:29 AM
I had a 2000 Lincoln LS V8 and it could open and close windows and sunroof with the fob.

The manual says that if the windows are down you can close the windows by holding the lock button down for more than 2 seconds and any open window (s) will express up until closed. I've tried it and it doesn't do it.

Can anyone else get it to work???

chazglenn3
05-28-11, 10:24 AM
Hmmm...haven't tried it yet. I'll have to see if it works after my shift today.

caddyfat2
05-28-11, 05:18 PM
My moonroof express opens and closes with one touch!

chazglenn3
05-28-11, 07:34 PM
Press it again after it is open and it will open the last couple of inches, too.

chazglenn3
05-28-11, 07:42 PM
My windows won't close with the remote either. Some further reading indicates that the early 2005 models were not activated but the newer ones were. Can someone with a 2006 or newer try it out? If so, maybe the dealer can activate it with the Tech 2.

Neutrocuted
05-29-11, 09:38 AM
Mine is an '06 and it doesn't do it. I've tried a few different ways (maybe not the right combination) like, get out of the car with the windows down, (1.) press and hold to lock and raise the windows... nope, (2.) press and release to lock first then hold... nope, and a couple of different combinations of #2 as far as timing between presses... nope, (3.) #1 and #2 with the sunroof open vs. closed... nope. Maybe a Tech 2 is the answer.
Orrrr, maybe it was on the tech wish list and, uhhhh... they forgot??? :duh:

And, the only difference I could tell between the 2 open sunroof positions is the first stop makes the wind blow onto the top of my head and the full open doesn't. No difference in buffeting, IMHO. The back windows make a big difference though.

EChas3
05-31-11, 04:45 PM
My 2006 is an early build (#111999) and it didn't work at first. The selling dealer's service writer told me they had to 'turn on the option'. My wife's 2007 always worked.

Forum members have reported that later build STS no longer have the option and owners of other early build STS report that theirs can't be 'turned on'.

In my humble opinion, this feature was designed into the STS from the start, but not enabled. For some period, it was enabled from the factory. Later, GM's lawyers decided it wasn't safe and deleted it. Good dealer service departments can enable it on 2005 & 2006 cars but good ones can be rare. I think owners of early STS that are told it can't be done have never visited a shop that has the know-how and is willing.

Any other opinions or facts to refute me?

chazglenn3
05-31-11, 10:03 PM
I think I will take my car by the dealer and see what they say.

Neutrocuted
06-01-11, 12:05 AM
My 2006 is an early build (#111999) and it didn't work at first. The selling dealer's service writer told me they had to 'turn on the option'. My wife's 2007 always worked.

Does yours work now? Did the dealer enable it? Does it also close the sunroof?

chazglenn3
06-01-11, 12:18 AM
None of them will close the sunroof.

Neutrocuted
06-01-11, 01:05 AM
At least none of GM's would more likely be correct. I had a 2000 Lincoln LS that would open or close all windows and the moonroof. Also, my Benz does it, except it doesn't use the radio signal, it uses infrared that you have to point right at the door handle, but it does also close and open the roof with the windows.

chazglenn3
06-01-11, 03:17 AM
I was saying none of the STS do.

Lifer
06-01-11, 12:48 PM
I have an early 06 STS (Oct 2005) and my sunroof does not close with the fob. It opens in two positions.

As a note, my afetrmarket sunroof in my 2000 Lincoln LS would close when I turned off the ignition. I could hit the button to keep it open if I were not exiting the car. I loved that auto-close feature. I knew it was closed when I walked away.

Neutrocuted
06-01-11, 01:04 PM
I get it now. Hope I didn't "come-off" wrong, didn't mean to. I am still curious if EChas3 got the dealer to program his to work. I think that's what he's saying.

Neutrocuted
06-01-11, 01:08 PM
I have an early 06 STS (Oct 2005) and my sunroof does not close with the fob. It opens in two positions.

As a note, my afetrmarket sunroof in my 2000 Lincoln LS would close when I turned off the ignition. I could hit the button to keep it open if I were not exiting the car. I loved that auto-close feature. I knew it was closed when I walked away.

Does it open with the fob???

chazglenn3
06-01-11, 06:09 PM
I get it now. Hope I didn't "come-off" wrong, didn't mean to. I am still curious if EChas3 got the dealer to program his to work. I think that's what he's saying.

No, you are cool. I would like to know as well, as I am planning to go by the dealer and would like to say that someone was able to have the feature activated.

EChas3
06-01-11, 11:03 PM
Lifer, I think your car can have the option enabled (with a Tech II?) so that you windows (if down) can be closed from up to 300' away by pressing and holding the fob's lock button.

I think it's stupid of Cadillac to:

1. Not include the sunroof (if equipped) in this feature
2. Delete this option in later builds.

chazglenn3
06-01-11, 11:48 PM
Oh come on Chas...did you get the feature activated in your car?????

EChas3
06-02-11, 12:38 AM
I said so before. Didn't you read my post #14?

"My 2006 is an early build (#111999) and it didn't work at first. The selling dealer's service writer told me they had to 'turn on the option'."

Yes, they turned it on. It works as designed. It would be great if GM had also enabled the sunroof close switch to react to the command to close the windows and close the sunroof, too. It probably wouldn't be all that hard for someone who understands the STS LAN.

Neutrocuted
06-02-11, 11:40 AM
Guess I'll be heading over to my friendly, knowledgeable, inexpensive, local (45 minute drive) Cadillac dealer, (my momma sez to always talk nice... especially when you want something!) and see about updating the Nav system, to fix the bluetooth, and reprogram the windows. (OMG, am I ever in for a fight!)

bbjorklund99
06-02-11, 01:23 PM
Neutrocuted, Good Luck! Let us know how it turns out.

Brad

Lifer
06-02-11, 04:20 PM
Lifer, I think your car can have the option enabled (with a Tech II?) so that you windows (if down) can be closed from up to 300' away by pressing and holding the fob's lock button.

I think it's stupid of Cadillac to:

1. Not include the sunroof (if equipped) in this feature
2. Delete this option in later builds.

My windows work with the fob, but not the sunroof.

Neutrocuted
06-02-11, 11:36 PM
Neutrocuted, Good Luck! Let us know how it turns out.

Brad

I will definitely give a blow-by-blow run down! lol!!

ddalder
06-03-11, 02:09 AM
I had a 2000 Lincoln LS V8 and it could open and close windows and sunroof with the fob.

The manual says that if the windows are down you can close the windows by holding the lock button down for more than 2 seconds and any open window (s) will express up until closed. I've tried it and it doesn't do it.

Can anyone else get it to work???
I had posted some time back about this issue. My dealership gave me a copy of the bulletin relating to this. Although it is documented in the 2005 manual, this feature is not available. Early production 2006 model year vehicles may not have this feature activated, but it is available. It can be turned on by reprogramming the RCDLR. Late production 2006 vehicles will have this activated at the plant. I don't recall the bulletin number, but it's somewhere in a previous post.

This is not simply a case of turning it on/off with a Tech2 menu option. Reprogramming of the module is required using the SPS (Service Programming System) to turn it on.

EChas3
06-03-11, 10:52 PM
DD - That probably accounts for the trouble some dealers have in activating the option. Fortunately, mine had no trouble reporgraming the RCDLR module.

chazglenn3
06-06-11, 10:09 AM
Guess that rules me out then...bummer.