: 4.5 will not go into timing mode, desperately seeking advice

Moondoggie
05-26-11, 08:31 PM
'89 Seville STS

Runs fine but won't pass California Smog because the tech says it won't go into TIMING MODE and he can't measure the static timing.

Self help at home in the driveway.....................

A + B jumped on ALDL
Driver Information Center reads TIMING MODE
Hook up timing light but no static timing, open the throttle and the timing advances. I'm using a Snap On digital timing light.

Additional information
The distributor was rebuilt by Tustin Cadillac years ago.

Timing light pickup on #6 plug wire reads harmonic balancer / crank pulley notch at 11-12 advanced at idle, same spark advance as indicated in diagnostic mode on DIC and what I expected to find on the #1 wire but did not.

Timing light pick on #1 wire reads 168-169 at idle. I can incrementally increase the timing light to 180 and still see the notch but when I hit 0 and above on the timing light the notch just disappears.

Any ideas? Two separate issues? Do I need to replace the brain? Look for continuity between the brain and the distributor? Something backwards in the distributor? A combination?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

HUF
05-27-11, 11:12 PM
Just a guess... the harmonic balancer consists of an inner and outer part separated with rubber. Sometimes the rubber gives up and the outer part moves with respect to the inner one. Are you sure the distributor was installed properly?

area310dude
06-07-11, 02:28 PM
Hi Moondoggie

Do you live in Orange County (Tustin)?

I'm not too far from you in the LA South Bay, San Pedro specifically.

I have the factory service manual for my Seville 4.9 L, and I think I have the 4.5 manual too.

Please let me know if i can xerox something for you, PM me if you have some 4.x needs or to compare notes on maintaining our 4.x 's here in SoCal.

Moondoggie
06-13-11, 02:18 PM
Hi 310 dude,

I'm on my way to Wilmington to pull another ECU for a swap, hope that helps my situation. I have the '89 shop manual. Once I get this problem worked out, if I don't sell the car, I'd love to get together and compare notes.