: Car got caught in hail storm...

Howsitgoing
05-26-11, 07:56 PM
in Virginia Beach two days ago. I checked the weather as I do every morning and no mention of rain. I was about to leave work when I was nabbed for a last minute tasker. While waiting to brief my CO, the rain and hail hit. It was the first time the Caddy was in the rain since I have had it let alone hail.

I count about 10 - 12 dents in the roof and about 15 - 20 in the right rear quarter panel. I would have rather it been the trunk or hood but the synthetic material saved that.

It's going to be a pricey fix. Car goes into the shop on Tuesday for an estimate! Not even a year of ownership; rearended and now this! :banghead:

DoingOK
05-26-11, 08:21 PM
Damn......that sucks. Not sure if we got anything in Smithfield.....I've been in Annapolis.

haterinc
05-26-11, 08:55 PM
i've been wondering if i'd see this post... sucks man sorry to hear that. the resale on that V is going to be brutal. some ******* hit my escalade in a parking lot and drove off. he only scuffed the aftermarket brushguard on it and someone saw it and reported him to the police. long story short, he lied about it and couldn't pin it on him even though they had the vehicle and the plate he swore he didn't hit it and got off with it all. me? i had to take a hit when i got rid of that escalade because even though it was the aftermarket piece that got scuffed, the damn accident showed up on the lovely car fax and i could NOT figure out a way to get it off. it cost me about $4k.

ps that guy ended up getting what he had coming to him though when i stopped by to "chat" with him afterwards :lildevil:

rnpjstewart
05-26-11, 09:12 PM
I left Newport news and got caught in the same storm
However my coupe is not a DD
I live in Williamsburg
Sorry for the Damage, bnut that was some storm with pea size hail

Trapspeed
05-26-11, 10:26 PM
Man that just sucks. Having been in your shoes with a previous car I can tell you I know the feeling. Sorry man.

baabootoo
05-27-11, 01:02 AM
Ahhhhhhhh, it shouldn't be that much. Those people that can roll the dents out, from the inside, are miracle workers.

Domsz06
05-27-11, 09:35 AM
Ahhhhhhhh, it shouldn't be that much. Those people that can roll the dents out, from the inside, are miracle workers.

what he said. Don't go to a body shop, call the dent guy first. Normally it's like 50 bucks a quarter panel. Pea size dented your car? I can't believe that. Normally you have to have up to nickel to get dents. I can't tell you how many hail storms I have been through (born and raised in OK) and we never even worried about pea size.

Regardless I'm sorry it happened, I'd for sure go to the paintless dent guy first before you go to a body shop. If you get the paintless dent it also doesn't go on carfax. I had them fix my audi s5 hood when I slipped and fell and put a dent in it, he came to my house and fixed it and you can never tell.

cdog533
05-27-11, 12:50 PM
what he said. Don't go to a body shop, call the dent guy first. Normally it's like 50 bucks a quarter panel. Pea size dented your car? I can't believe that. Normally you have to have up to nickel to get dents. I can't tell you how many hail storms I have been through (born and raised in OK) and we never even worried about pea size.

Regardless I'm sorry it happened, I'd for sure go to the paintless dent guy first before you go to a body shop. If you get the paintless dent it also doesn't go on carfax. I had them fix my audi s5 hood when I slipped and fell and put a dent in it, he came to my house and fixed it and you can never tell.

Exactly. Don't paint/bondo it -- a paintless ding guy can get these out.

Also, sometimes the sun will pop them out on the roof if you leave it in hot sun all day.

NOLA-ZR1
05-27-11, 01:17 PM
Sorry to hear, damn.... Good Luck on whatever you choose to do. My 1 month old V is still in the shop after being keyed...

Tuna
05-27-11, 01:40 PM
Both my V's managed to get caught in the Hail not long after I bought them. It's not pretty all dented up.

My V1 was 3 months old when golf ball sized hail pummelled it leaving several hundred dimples. It spent a week in the shop.

Last month when I was in Texas with the new V Wagon, it got pea gravel sized hailed but didn't get hurt except for one scratch on the hood. I thought that was going to be messy.

If it looks like storms, I drive my Vette as the plastic cars don't seem to mind the hail much.

CTSV12
05-29-11, 01:41 AM
How in the heck did you get a scratch on the hood from hail?

PDR (paintless dent removal) is magic, but there are great, good, mediocre, and really bad PDR techs, so get a reference, and by all means ask them if they drill. If they say yes, get your car away from them ASAP.

bouser
05-29-11, 10:09 AM
Here in Florida, The shops use dry ice to remove them without a trace.:hmm:

Teutonaddict
05-29-11, 02:22 PM

PDR (paintless dent removal) is magic, but there are great, good, mediocre, and really bad PDR techs, so get a reference, and by all means ask them if they drill. If they say yes, get your car away from them ASAP.

Agree absolutely. I've had PDR work magic on an M5 and and X5 with wicked damage. >$8K in both cases, with golf ball + size hail. And they looked perfect when complete, without harming the factory original paint.

I had good luck using Angie's List to 'check references' for the best local PDR shop, and I'm glad I did. I was able to get to them and schedule the repairs before my insurance adjuster even saw my car--there literally were hundreds of vehicles damaged in my zip code with the last storm, and I didn't have to wait long for repairs as a result.

If you have a good PDR tech/shop, you can be made whole. Do your homework and take your time, and you'll be fine.

Tuna
05-30-11, 11:01 PM

That's a good question and I don't know the answer. I was trying to drive out of Sanderson, TX when the hail started and there wasn't any scratches on the hood when I left. When I got to Ft. Stockton, Tx; after driving through the hail and howling wind; there was a scratch on the hood. I don't know when it happened - either during the hail storm or at some point right after the hail.

Howsitgoing
06-01-11, 09:13 PM
Took the Caddy in for an estimate today. Looks like USAA uses Dent Doctor. Said it shouldn't be any issue to fix.

hulksdaddy
06-01-11, 10:18 PM
Took the Caddy in for an estimate today. Looks like USAA uses Dent Doctor. Said it shouldn't be any issue to fix.

Cool. Good luck bradda.

BTW, how about pics, before and after? Like to see what they can do.

Howsitgoing
06-13-11, 07:00 PM
Got the car back today. About 55 - 60 dents total. No painting required. Total cost was $1300. Other than another piece of trim, all is well again!

M5eater
06-13-11, 09:03 PM
VA hampton roads weather sucks. It's so freaking unpredictable and nearly anything from tornado's to hurricanes can happen, then you'll get idiots at vdot that dump 4 tons of sand/salt per sq inch in the winter since no one knows how to drive down here.

I feel your pain, glad everything worked out.