: Yo! Your car sucks!

orconn
05-26-11, 06:11 PM
While I realize we are all individualists here and value our own opinions above those of others, I have been wondering how much we feel about the cars we drive is effected by what others say, or what we think they are thinking.

So much of a cars image, at least initially, is formed by the advertising that the maker puts out about the car. But as we all know advertising can be deceptive and eventually a car will develop an identity on its' own merits, or at least one that characterizes it by a perception of who owns the car. Hence the Miata becomes a "chick" car, and to some others a car driven by "gay" guys. An Eldorado is the car of low level Mafia "wannabees" and other "gold chain" denizens of the Jersey Shore. BMW convertibles are driven by rich high school "Daddy's girls," while "C" class Mercedes are the province of Oriental status climbers, and Volvo sedans are driven by middle aged, newly arrived Oriental ladies just learning to drive!

While none of these stereotypes may be accurate in reality, many folks do believe to be they hold more than a little truth. What are your thoughts? How much does a car's "image" have to do with whether you would buy one? Would it keep you from owning a car whose image is different than the one you hold of yourself? While a car's image may effect a person's choice of a car for himself, I wonder how far or what weight a group's projection of a car model's image would have on your owning and driving a particular vehicle.

OffThaHorseCEO
05-26-11, 06:20 PM
no your car sucks

Stingroo
05-26-11, 06:21 PM
No, your car trucks:

http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2010/06/05/18/00/1968_chevrolet_el_camino-pic-4936962928647921267.jpeg

OffThaHorseCEO
05-26-11, 06:32 PM
no YOUR car ducks
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv220/austin99etc/IMG_20110525_210524.jpg

greencadillacmatt
05-26-11, 06:47 PM
No, YOUR car fu-nevermind.

dkozloski
05-26-11, 06:54 PM
Your car has a hill-holder switch under the clutch pedal.

OffThaHorseCEO
05-26-11, 07:51 PM
Your car has a hill-holder switch under the clutch pedal.

lolwut?

Sevillian273
05-26-11, 08:03 PM
I take other's opinions into consideration but ultimately, my own preference always takes hold and thats the way it should be. I realize that my gold E&G grille, 3.5" exhaust tips, loud camaro muffler, and (best of all) fake STS emblem are tacky and full of doucheness (is that a word? Well, It is now!) but I favor these add-ons over what is presented in the car's stock configuration. The Seville is not my dream car by any stretch but in my opinion, on this generation of Sevilles/Eldos ANYTHING is better than stock.

I'm ok with my car's configuration so if someone else (everyone!) isnt, the problem lies entirely within their own collective minds and is entirely out of my scope of giving a f*ck. :cool2:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Sevillian273#p/u/11/zhvWC-4lR5c

:ack:

cadillac kevin
05-26-11, 08:12 PM
or as I say- best f--king van ever (and you can take that however you like)
http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae356/jetthreatkevin/safari/P5231422.jpg
and yes I do give out free candy.

Night Wolf
05-26-11, 09:08 PM
^ Parking fail.

Jesda
05-26-11, 09:11 PM
Looks like a double victory to me

ryannel2003
05-26-11, 09:33 PM
^ Parking fail.

Holy crap where have you been?

thebigjimsho
05-26-11, 10:21 PM
^ Parking fail.
eyesight fail. ignorance succeed.

ga_etc
05-26-11, 10:21 PM
no YOUR car ducks
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv220/austin99etc/IMG_20110525_210524.jpg

It ducks like no other.

thebigjimsho
05-26-11, 10:25 PM
http://th188.photobucket.com/albums/z85/RWalters_pctech/th_MercuryMistress.jpg

Koooop
05-27-11, 01:05 AM
My car knocks.

greencadillacmatt
05-27-11, 01:40 AM
As long as what I'm driving makes me happy, I really could care less about what people think of it. I used to drive a little Chevrolet Cavalier. If I hadn't of crashed it, I'd still be driving it, because it made me happy. The Oldsmobile 88 that I bought as it's replacement was bought because I liked the size, the big cushy seats and suspension, and the price. Not because I was worried about what people would think of me driving around in it.

MauiV
05-27-11, 01:48 AM
Im gonna pick up a cane, alligator shoes and a leopard print hat and buy a Chrysler 300. Should I get some Daytons and Vogues too?

GizmoQ
05-27-11, 04:04 AM
Haven't needed the cane yet, got the shoes, and my favorite hat is a grey Panama. I'm long past needs and survival, so I drive what makes me feel good, everyone else be damned. Utility gets little consideration - if I need a truck, I'll borrow one from a friend. Greencadillacmatt said it best, so don't hate!

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad271/GizmoQ/Midwest%20Marauders/Carolinas/biltmorehouseprofile.jpg

OffThaHorseCEO
05-27-11, 10:13 AM
i dont think ANYONE is hating on an xlr-v

GizmoQ
05-27-11, 11:10 AM
i dont think ANYONE is hating on an xlr-v

The vette snobs do.

thebigjimsho
05-27-11, 12:16 PM
As long as what I'm driving makes me happy, I really could care less about what people think of it.
So you care, then?

Stingroo
05-27-11, 12:21 PM
Was waiting for that....

mhamilton
05-27-11, 12:22 PM
The vette snobs do.

Vette snobs, isn't that repetitive? :lildevil:

gdwriter
05-27-11, 12:26 PM
My car makes me feel like a million bucks, and I thoroughly enjoy driving it. That's all that matters. That I've gotten a number of compliments about it is a bonus.

gary88
05-27-11, 12:32 PM
Was waiting for that....

This sentence lacks a subject, and ellipses are supposed to consist of only three dots.

Stingroo
05-27-11, 12:33 PM
This sentence lacks a subject, and ellipses are supposed to consist of only three dots.

Next time I ask for your opinion... wait, has that ever happened?

The Tony Show
05-27-11, 12:34 PM
I'll be in the minority here and admit that I briefly waffled on purchasing my Mustang GT because of the crowd normally seen driving them. Most of the time I see a GT it's being driven by a 20-something white kid with a sideways ball cap, Miami Heat jersey tank top and sporting some ridiculous aftermarket.

I came to my senses and realized it's an awesome car and have thoroughly enjoyed it, but I do occasionally grimace when I pull up next to another one at a light and see what's driving it. :hide:

gdwriter
05-27-11, 12:36 PM
Unless it's the end of the sentence (which this arguably is), then the three ellipses are followed by a period.

Stingroo
05-27-11, 12:39 PM
Indeed. Gary D. knows his shit.

thebigjimsho
05-27-11, 12:40 PM
Unless it's the end of the sentence (which this arguably is), then the three ellipses are followed by a period.
If it has no subject then it isn't a sentence...(.)

thebigjimsho
05-27-11, 12:42 PM
I'll be in the minority here and admit that I briefly waffled on purchasing my Mustang GT because of the crowd normally seen driving them. Most of the time I see a GT it's being driven by a 20-something white kid with a sideways ball cap, Miami Heat jersey tank top and sporting some ridiculous aftermarket.

I came to my sense and realized it's an awesome car and have thoroughly enjoyed it, but I do occasionally grimace when I pull up next to another one at a light and see what's driving it. :hide:1 for 3. teeheehee

thebigjimsho
05-27-11, 12:44 PM
But, Roo, I still Like you. I hope you still Like me, too...

Stingroo
05-27-11, 12:46 PM
Occasionally.

The Tony Show
05-27-11, 12:59 PM
1 for 3. teeheehee

Most of them that I see have a 3 foot tall TYPE ARGH spoiler and fart cans, cheap azz chrome wheels from Tire Rack and vinyl all over the side.

My restraint in aftermarket will one day be legendary in the Mustang community.

maeng9981
05-27-11, 01:21 PM
People often say that only grandmas drive a Cadillac. It happens more since I have younger so-called friends who are more interested in civics. But do I care? They have never seen what a "granny" Cadillac can do..... heck, they choose Cadillac for a reason :)

OffThaHorseCEO
05-27-11, 01:33 PM
hey gdwriter (or anyone else who "knows their shit"), since this thread is already hilariously off topic (sorry orconn) theres something ive been wondering about for a LONG time.

I used to read books on a much more regular basis than i do now, but i have sinced increased the frequency of my book reading and i notice the same weird thing that i did before.

In a book with a lot of dialogue, i noticed what i always thought was forgetful use of whatever the hell the proper name for these are: "

so for example, say one guy was telling a story about something and he "talked" for like 10 minutes straight. this is what it looked like in just about every book i came across (dont worry i wiped it off)

"so we went to the aslfihsghsgoysgsglkdhg. dslgs dfgldhg dflhdfkjhd dfkjh dfgkjdhf gskdfjgh dfgjhdfgkljdglsjdhg sdgldfjg. dslgs dfgldhg dflhdfkjhd dfkjh dfgkjdhf gskdfjgh dfgjhdfgkljdglsjdhg sdgldfjg. dslgs dfgldhg dflhdfkjhd dfkjh dfgkjdhf gskdfjgh dfgjhdfgkljdglsjdhg sdgldfjg. dslgs dfgldhg dflhdfkjhd dfkjh dfgkjdhf gskdfjgh dfgjhdfgkljdglsjdhg sdgldfjg. dslgs dfgldhg dflhdfkjhd dfkjh dfgkjdhf gskdfjgh dfgjhdfgkljdglsjdhg sdgldfjg. dslgs dfgldhg dflhdfkjhd dfkjh dfgkjdhf gskdfjgh dfgjhdfgkljdglsjdhg sdgldfjg. dslgs dfgldhg dflhdfkjhd dfkjh dfgkjdhf gskdfjgh dfgjhdfgkljdglsjdhg sdgldfjg. dslgs dfgldhg dflhdfkjhd dfkjh dfgkjdhf gskdfjgh dfgjhdfgkljdglsjdhg sdgldfjg. dslgs dfgldhg dflhdfkjhd dfkjh dfgkjdhf gskdfjgh dfgjhdfgkljdglsjdhg sdgldfjg.

" dslgs dfgldhg dflhdfkjhd dfkjh dfgkjdhf gskdfjgh dfgjhdfgkljdglsjdhg sdgldfjg. dslgs dfgldhg dflhdfkjhd dfkjh dfgkjdhf gskdfjgh dfgjhdfgkljdglsjdhg sdgldfjg. dslgs dfgldhg dflhdfkjhd dfkjh dfgkjdhf gskdfjgh dfgjhdfgkljdglsjdhg sdgldfjg. dslgs dfgldhg dflhdfkjhd dfkjh dfgkjdhf gskdfjgh dfgjhdfgkljdglsjdhg sdgldfjg. dslgs dfgldhg dflhdfkjhd dfkjh dfgkjdhf gskdfjgh dfgjhdfgkljdglsjdhg sdgldfjg. dslgs dfgldhg dflhdfkjhd dfkjh dfgkjdhf gskdfjgh dfgjhdfgkljdglsjdhg sdgldfjg. dslgs dfgldhg dflhdfkjhd dfkjh dfgkjdhf gskdfjgh dfgjhdfgkljdglsjdhg sdgldfjg. dslgs dfgldhg dflhdfkjhd dfkjh dfgkjdhf gskdfjgh dfgjhdfgkljdglsjdhg sdgldfjg. dslgs dfgldhg dflhdfkjhd dfkjh dfgkjdhf gskdfjgh dfgjhdfgkljdglsjdhg sdgldfjg.

" dslgs dfgldhg dflhdfkjhd dfkjh dfgkjdhf gskdfjgh dfgjhdfgkljdglsjdhg sdgldfjg. dslgs dfgldhg dflhdfkjhd dfkjh dfgkjdhf gskdfjgh dfgjhdfgkljdglsjdhg sdgldfjg. dslgs dfgldhg dflhdfkjhd dfkjh dfgkjdhf gskdfjgh dfgjhdfgkljdglsjdhg sdgldfjg. dslgs dfgldhg dflhdfkjhd dfkjh dfgkjdhf gskdfjgh dfgjhdfgkljdglsjdhg sdgldfjg. dslgs dfgldhg dflhdfkjhd dfkjh dfgkjdhf gskdfjgh dfgjhdfgkljdglsjdhg sdgldfjg. dslgs dfgldhg dflhdfkjhd dfkjh dfgkjdhf gskdfjgh dfgjhdfgkljdglsjdhg sdgldfjg. dslgs dfgldhg dflhdfkjhd dfkjh dfgkjdhf gskdfjgh dfgjhdfgkljdglsjdhg sdgldfjg.

in other words, when the paragraph broke, there was no ending quotation marks, i could understand that because its one big quotation, but what got me was, there were opening quotation marks at the beginning of the next paragraph...wtf?

if it was only a sentence or two or four the quotation marks were "used right"

gdwriter
05-27-11, 03:17 PM
When the next paragraph is a continuation of that quotation, it doesn't end with a quotation mark, but the new one does to indicate a continuation of the quote from the same person. If the quote in the new paragraph is from a new speaker, then the preceding paragraph should end with a quotation mark.

Yes, I do know my shit. As a professional copywriter for 23 years, I damn well better. Not that I don't sometimes make mistakes, but I have a pretty effective method for proofreading to catch typos and other errors.

OffThaHorseCEO
05-27-11, 03:32 PM
i wasnt doubting you shit-knowledge if that was directed torwards me btw

gdwriter
05-27-11, 03:43 PM
No, it wasn't.

thebigjimsho
05-27-11, 07:58 PM
Most of them that I see have a 3 foot tall TYPE ARGH spoiler and fart cans, cheap azz chrome wheels from Tire Rack and vinyl all over the side.

My restraint in aftermarket will one day be legendary in the Mustang community.
You know I'm only kidding. Kinda. I may not liek your mods but they are not ricey...

Koooop
05-27-11, 10:03 PM
The vette snobs do.

I've been driving Vettes for a long time. I have been and in the future shall be considered a Vette snob.

Vette snobs absolutely do not hate on any XLR, we actually love the car! We just drive them and wonder WTF Cadillac was thinking by not putting an LS motor in the car!

I'll be driving my Dad's XLR out tonight (he's a bigger Vette snob than I am), he's been shopping for an XLR-V since the XLR is so cool but so lacking in the power dept. I love to drive the car too, so nice, so well put together, but so slow off the line.

Here is where the issue kicks in: Dad, WTF are you gonna buy an XLR-V for? The new Vette is right around the corner and you get an LS motor.

It's not a snob thing, it's a Cadillac thing, they had their head in the wrong location when they chose not to use an LS motor. If the XLR had an LS motor I'd have one, it's just not quick with that boat anchor it's equipped with (not the V, that's plenty quick). The supercharger is cool and all, but an LS motor would have been the panacea. I think Cadillac would have sold the pants of that car if it had an LS motor.

It's not a snob thing, it's an LS motor thing among the Vette crowd.

If the CTS-V1 had a Cadillac V8 motor in it I would not own the car. I also wanted the Vette color DSOM on it, but once Cadillac coughed up an LS6 motor I caved pretty quick. About 37 seconds after I bought the V, Red came out. @*^#!

I don't care what anyone thinks about my car, so long as I'm amused or seriously comfy I'm happy.

Destroyer
05-27-11, 10:30 PM
But, Roo, I still Like you. I hope you still Like me, too...How gay

cadillac kevin
05-27-11, 11:02 PM
I honestly don't care what people think of the cars I drive. granted I dont drive some POS civic ricer douchemobile and wear a sideways hat and fubu/southpole hoodie (low self esteem anyone?)
I hope my cars convey a positive impression of me, but if they don't, oh well. to some a cadillac is a gansta/ hip hop rapper car. to others it shows you are successful. to some a conversion van is creepy (free candy anyone?) but to others its a tricked out shaggin' van (wait thats still kinda creepy). anyways, people will perceive your vehicles and you however they want to. I dont care whether people think I'm a thug white rapper (M&M) or successful, or some creepy guy driving a van, because I know who I am... ....

Stingroo
05-27-11, 11:37 PM
Oh my god. A DSOM V would be just like... :drool: :drool: :drool:

Best color GM ever put on a car. Ever.

cadillac kevin
05-28-11, 12:05 AM
^ I disagree. I think the 1970's blue green metallic is better.

Koooop
05-28-11, 02:09 AM
Oh my god. A DSOM V would be just like... :drool: :drool: :drool:

Best color GM ever put on a car. Ever.

Hot lava edtion V! (It would make my wife choke, but I would dig it!).

Jesda
05-28-11, 04:06 AM
Roo is okay because he doesn't own cats.

Stingroo
05-28-11, 07:22 AM
(There are cats in our house).

CIWS
05-28-11, 07:33 AM
Saab is starting production back up thanks to some Chinese with capital.

OffThaHorseCEO
05-28-11, 10:46 AM
im racking my brains thinking of what dsom stands for, i know m is metallic

dark sunburst orange metallic?

thebigjimsho
05-28-11, 12:24 PM
How gay
Clueless, you are.

RippyPartsDept
05-28-11, 01:09 PM
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/2431/bianca6.jpg

'NUFF Said

Stingroo
05-28-11, 03:03 PM
im racking my brains thinking of what dsom stands for, i know m is metallic

dark sunburst orange metallic?

Daytona Sunset Orange Metallic.

:D!

Destroyer
05-28-11, 08:55 PM
Clueless, you are.If you say so, Yoda! :alchi::bouncy:

DouglasJRizzo
05-29-11, 07:45 AM
While I realize we are all individualists here and value our own opinions above those of others, I have been wondering how much we feel about the cars we drive is effected by what others say, or what we think they are thinking.

So much of a cars image, at least initially, is formed by the advertising that the maker puts out about the car. But as we all know advertising can be deceptive and eventually a car will develop an identity on its' own merits, or at least one that characterizes it by a perception of who owns the car. Hence the Miata becomes a "chick" car, and to some others a car driven by "gay" guys. An Eldorado is the car of low level Mafia "wannabees" and other "gold chain" denizens of the Jersey Shore. BMW convertibles are driven by rich high school "Daddy's girls," while "C" class Mercedes are the province of Oriental status climbers, and Volvo sedans are driven by middle aged, newly arrived Oriental ladies just learning to drive!

While none of these stereotypes may be accurate in reality, many folks do believe to be they hold more than a little truth. What are your thoughts? How much does a car's "image" have to do with whether you would buy one? Would it keep you from owning a car whose image is different than the one you hold of yourself? While a car's image may effect a person's choice of a car for himself, I wonder how far or what weight a group's projection of a car model's image would have on your owning and driving a particular vehicle.

I've never much cared for what others have thought about my rides. I bought them because I like them, not for what others say about them.

When everyone else was drooling over european sedans and ridiculing Cadillacs and Lincolns because they couldn't "do 140 on the autobahn" I cared not a bit. My FWB and DeVilles would always be classy and cool to me.

I love my 60s and 70s Thunderbirds because of their high flying style, and I've never really cared that they weren't a "two seater '55." In fact, the first generation Thunderbird is the version I like the least out of all of them.

I've always thought an Eldorado Convertible was just the height of cool and I don't give a damn what "gold chained" idiot has one. I like them and still aspire to have a Green '76 one day.

It goes on and on...

Fact is, I buy what I like. If I really cared about what others thought, I wouldn't own my hearses, but I love those vehicles and will never part with them.

Sevillian273
05-29-11, 08:04 AM
I love my 60s and 70s Thunderbirds because of their high flying style, and I've never really cared that they weren't a "two seater '55." In fact, the first generation Thunderbird is the version I like the least out of all of them.

:yeah:

The fact that the 'die-hards' dont accept the fixed-roof, 4-seater glamourbirds is a big plus in modern times because this way, they arent nearly as 'collectible' and therefore expensive to own and maintain. I love my '69 because I dont have to be afraid to drive it because it will probably never be worth more than 4 figures in any condition.

The only downside is that there is little aftermarket support outside of the engine so it may be hard to find parts, but at least when you do find that part, especially an original oem part, you dont have to pay an arm and a leg for it.

Its a classic car that you can own and enjoy for what it is - a car. So I thank the die-hard T-bird fanatics for ostracizing these fixed-roof beasts and making my ownership of one that much more possible! :thumbsup:

DouglasJRizzo
05-30-11, 07:23 AM
:yeah:

The fact that the 'die-hards' dont accept the fixed-roof, 4-seater glamourbirds is a big plus in modern times because this way, they arent nearly as 'collectible' and therefore expensive to own and maintain. I love my '69 because I dont have to be afraid to drive it because it will probably never be worth more than 4 figures in any condition.

The only downside is that there is little aftermarket support outside of the engine so it may be hard to find parts, but at least when you do find that part, especially an original oem part, you dont have to pay an arm and a leg for it.

Its a classic car that you can own and enjoy for what it is - a car. So I thank the die-hard T-bird fanatics for ostracizing these fixed-roof beasts and making my ownership of one that much more possible! :thumbsup:

I absolutely agree! My 67 is a one owner, 70k car with the window sticker still in the glove box. I bartered about $3k worth of work for it. Had it been a 55-57 it would've been nearly six figures. I love the 67, as I can take my family to the local Stewarts Root Beer, go out for drives, and never worry about it. Ditto for my "N-code" 429 powered '71 Special Brougham Thunderbird and my triple black '76.

The guys at the Thunderbird club turn their noses up at them, but I absolutely love those cars!

The hearses get the similar treatment. I've driven to Cadillac shows and received looks of horror. But, it's slowly changing. My 75 is a 16k original car and the 76 was a 6k car! Had they been any other model they would've been unreal expensive, but I got the 75 for $200 and the 76 for $500!!

cadillac kevin
05-30-11, 09:04 AM
I've seen 2 fairly rust free ~'67-70 style t-birds at the local junk yard. my heart sunk. I would have loved to have had one of those in my driveway. (1 is a 2 door, one is a 4 door). aside from the misc stuff (taillights, grille, rear bumpers) didnt look like anything was missing