: Iím not Convinced it the Head Gaskets again?

Keith Carlson
05-26-11, 06:07 PM
Itís finally summer in Minnesota with warm weather and this car does not smoke at all when it over heats. The engine will now over heat within 5 minutes of running. I get steam from the engine bay but thatís about it and the exhaust tips are dry?
What is the best way to flash the coolant system? Are there removable plugs on the motor?
Do you just disconnect a hose?

RippyPartsDept
05-26-11, 06:23 PM
keith, i seem to remember another thread you posted where we ran you through checking the purge line and checking the water pump belt tension and you did an exhaust gas test too, right?

i would suggest you do another exaust gas test, but this time since the car is overheating within minutes of running do the test from cold to overheat, and if it doesn't change the color of the fluid by the time it overheats then your headgaskets probably are fine

another thing to try is using a laser guided temp sensor you can check the radiator to see if parts or most of it is staying cool... a blocked up radiator could also cause overheating

Ranger
05-26-11, 10:03 PM
Where EXACTLY in the engine bay do you see this steam? That would go a long way in helping us help you pin point the leak.

Keith Carlson
05-27-11, 05:41 PM
I see the steam in the back side near the fire wall and a little near the throttle body. How do you flush the system? I have never done it on this car I’ve only added antifreeze so I want to get all the old coolant out of it and put in fresh and see what happens.

Ranger
05-27-11, 10:06 PM
Better find and fix the leak before you flush anything. It might be the two heater pipes that run along the rear head. They are known to rust through and leak and are a PITA to change.

You can't get all the coolant out of the engine. All you can do is drain it, fill it with water and keep doing that until it drains clear, but then you'll have to compensate for the water that is left in the engine when you add the coolant. A 50/50 mix will net you less than 50/50 because of the water left in the block.

postman2000
05-27-11, 10:09 PM
My 2000 Deville would overheat and not smoke at all when my headgaskets went.. The reason being on the Northstar it seems that alot of times the gasket will be comprimised in such that exhaust gas gets into the cooling system and burns up all the anti-freeze inside the cooling system.. No anti freeze= no smoke

Keith Carlson
05-28-11, 10:53 AM
Still no answer on how to flush the system? Are there plugs in the engine some ware??? Do you just remove a radiator hose???

RippyPartsDept
05-28-11, 12:13 PM
Still no answer on how to flush the system

post #5 ... i believe there is a 'drain cock' in the bottom of the radiator

Ranger
05-28-11, 01:19 PM
No drains on the block. Only on the radiator.