: Hub caps/wheel covers for '77 Coupe DeVille ??

-BEBOP-
05-26-11, 11:46 AM
What will fit them? I was told at one point that any 15" hub cap will work but that doesn't look like the case with my wheels. Any input?

Stingroo
05-26-11, 12:04 PM
Got a pic of your wheels? What makes them different from most other GM 15" steelies?

-BEBOP-
05-26-11, 12:14 PM
It just doesn't seem like there is enough lip on the rim for a typical hub cap to attach. Here's what I'm working with:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/drive_95bd/IMAG0028.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/drive_95bd/IMAG0131.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/drive_95bd/IMAG0132.jpg

sven914
05-26-11, 01:40 PM
Unfortunately, those are not the factory rims and the hubcaps don't look factory either. The rims and hubcaps might have been a special dealership option (like an E&G Grill), to make it look like the car has actual wire wheel rims and not cheap hubcaps. Look for any manufacture's inscriptions on the wheels or back of the hubcaps.

Stingroo
05-26-11, 02:53 PM
Wow those are some strange looking rims. If you really want to go the hubcap route, go to your local yard and ask for a matching set of 4 wheels from a Cadillac or a Caprice or something. That's what I would do.

csbuckn
05-26-11, 03:09 PM
Ill trade four hubcaps for those center pieces. The spokes unscrew from the chrome backround. You can put hubcaps on after you take the center spokes and cap off.

Stingroo
05-26-11, 03:28 PM
Wait.... so that's just a regular rim with a piece held onto it by the lugs, and THEN their custom "wheel like" hub cap applied?

Cool!

sven914
05-26-11, 03:47 PM
Ill trade four hubcaps for those center pieces. The spokes unscrew from the chrome backround. You can put hubcaps on after you take the center spokes and cap off.

You seem to know something about these things... Where did they come from, and where might I acquire a similar set?

csbuckn
05-26-11, 03:55 PM
I think they were a dealer option but thats all I know. I got some with that brown 90 I had but it only had 3 center spokes that were rusted out. I still have the rim and center caps but just need the spokes now. I dont really know to much about them but I've always wanted a set.

-BEBOP-
05-26-11, 06:54 PM
^So without the spokes on there, how would a normal hub cap attach? The lip of the rim isn't the same as steel wheels.

-BEBOP-
05-26-11, 07:23 PM
Or better yet will some wheels for a 91-96 Caprice fit my '77?? Not sure about the offset and what not.

csbuckn
05-26-11, 07:35 PM
They will fit.

DouglasJRizzo
05-26-11, 09:49 PM
the correct cover is a brushed stainless cover with a small cadillac emblem on a black background. the '77 covers are unique one year only pieces as the 78 and 79 covers were as well.

cadillac_al
05-27-11, 06:27 PM
If you want to go with original Cadillac hubcaps then you are going to find out the difference between Cadillac wheels and regular Chevy /Olds rims. The outside lip of a Cadillac wheel is deeper and sharper than the other GM wheels. All the tire shops used to carry the special wheel weights that go on them but I'll bet they are hard to find now. You can't put Cadillac hubcaps on a wheel with regular wheel weights. The Cadillac hubcap might grip onto a Chevy wheel pretty good and might stay for quite a while but I wouldn't trust it. I used to chase my hubcaps all the time on my old '70 Deville and those had a hard enough time gripping the Cadillac wheels.

The difference in the rims won't really show up well in pictures but you can definitely feel the difference if you can get your finger on it. If you know somebody with an older Cadillac maybe they can pop off a hubcap and show you the difference in the depth of the lip and the special weights they use. I'm sure most shops today would just static balance the wheels and put the weights on the back of the rim. That is not he correct way but would have to do until you could track down the correct weights. Once you can feel the difference in the wheel lip then you will know what you are looking for at the junkyard or wherever.

I may have to do some tire swapping on my 77 Fleetwood in the next month and I will have a better idea then on how hard it is or isn't to get the correct weights to balance them. Actually I used to save them all the time so I may be able to come up with my own if I have to.

-BEBOP-
05-27-11, 07:48 PM
Anybody seen these 15" wheels before??

http://images.craigslist.org/3k23m33p15V15O35U0b5382f7c5c23efe190d.jpg

A local guy has them for sale but doesn't know what year/model they are off of.

Stingroo
05-27-11, 09:15 PM
Best bet is to go check them out and measure the bolt pattern. 5x127mm is what you want.

If they're genuine Cadillac OEM wire wheels, they're worth quite a bit and probably worth grabbing.

-BEBOP-
06-01-11, 02:30 PM
Does anybody happen to know the smallest size wheel that will clear these brakes? I may be able to pick up a set of 13x7 wires with white walls for next to nothing