: Diagnostic fee? Service Engine soon....

rnkath08
05-26-11, 11:21 AM
Thoughts....
So, the Service Engine Soon prompt came on Friday, called the dealer, got the car in today. In addition, the past two days there has been a pop sound when I start it, much like an electrical pop sound....they tell me I have the GMMP warranty and that if no codes show, I'll pay a $36 diagnostic fee.
Ok, so they just called. Definitely electrical, the car showed multiple codes, and basically there are corroded electrical conducts that need to be cleaned ($72) and then she said and $72 for the diagnostic fee for the service engine and the electrical question. I said I don't think so....you plug in the meter and a grocery slip paper full of codes popped out....and that to me indicates a fixable problem....which now you want to charge for 2 diagnostics????
So, told her to go speak to her mgr, and have him call me, because the labor I agree with, but the diagnostic fee not so much.....anyone???......thoughts, suggestions, am I wrong????

turnne
05-26-11, 12:37 PM
I would think if it was a covered failure...then the diagnostic should be covered as well

Though I am not sure how GMPP works

Warren

dkozloski
05-26-11, 12:55 PM
It's called the Cadillac tax.

caddyfat2
05-26-11, 03:56 PM
Yeah you pay it or get bumped off. LOL
Seriously tho my car is still under warranty and I was told by the dealer that the diagnostic charge would be waived on my car if it was fixed there.

bbjorklund99
05-26-11, 06:58 PM
You should ask him if the vaseline is included or if that is extra too!

rnkath08
05-26-11, 07:06 PM
as it turns out, they took off the $72 diagnostic, cleaned the battery terminals and some connections under the drivers side rug as well. The mgr and I had a go round about how the diagnostic is what helps them interpret what to do to fix the codes, I said it's a full warranty I paid thru the nose for, I thought if no codes prompted then I'd be charged the diagnostic...It worked out okay, but I think I'll call the warranty number just to ask a few questions for next time.

ddalder
05-26-11, 10:44 PM
I've never had a problem with GMPP warranties (on my other GM cars), one of which is still active. Much of this depends on which warranty you have as each covers a progressive list of items (there are three different levels). I've only ever purchase the GMPP Total Plus (top level) and sadly (depending on how you look at it) have never come out behind. I pay a deductible for each "work order" which is a fixed rate regardless of whether it goes in for one problem or ten. I have never been charged a "diagnostic" fee. What I have been told, and this applies to factory warranties now as well, is that if the dealer cannot duplicate the problem then I'll be responsible for all charges. GMPP's top plan will cover most items and there is very little I've ever had to pay for (except the deductible).

rnkath08
05-27-11, 09:21 AM
I bought the same thing, top level, $200 deductible for repairs, covers me to 72k miles or 6 years, going to find the paperwork and call to ask a few questions, just want to make sure I'm on the right page should anything else happen.