: Pertronix Ignition, slow start.

Fleetwood70
05-25-11, 11:43 PM
I installed Pertronix 3 ignitor with Flamethrower 3 coil, resistor wire is bypassed. Everything is working good, except, it takes about 2 seconds of cranking before the engine would start, hot or cold, with points it would start right away. Anyone knows what could be the problem?

jayoldschool
05-25-11, 11:56 PM
I know with the old version, it would have a brief time to energize the system. What happens when you turn it to RUN, pause 2 seconds, then START? Does that eliminate the 2 second crank time?

Fleetwood70
05-26-11, 01:41 AM
Yes, I tried waiting different lengths of time in RUN, still it cranks for a while before it starts.

Fleetwood70
05-26-11, 01:50 AM
I just remembered there were 2 wires going to the + coil, I bypassed the resistor wire but also didn't connect the other white wire back. Could this be a problem? Will try connecting it tomorrow to see what happens.

Fleetwood70
05-26-11, 12:37 PM
Connected second wire back, cranking voltage increased at coil from about 8.5v to 10v, starts faster. But I think it would be better if the Ignitor and coil got full 12v during cranking. Anyone knows how to do that?
Old coil had a capacitor mounted on the bracket and connected to coil (either + or -, don't remember), anyone know what was the point of it?

Submariner409
05-26-11, 12:49 PM
Hmmmm.........We run Pertronix Ignitors in our marine Olds 455's - 1970 to 1975 engines. Standard old Delco points distributors. The ignition switch is OFF-ACC-RUN-START. START supplies full system voltage to the Ignitor during cranking - about 10.5 to 11.5 volts. As soon as the engine starts you let the key pop back to RUN and the Ignitor gets a voltage drop to about 10 volts from a resistor in the IGN RUN wire.

These engines run a calibrated Quadrajet with electric choke and usually start within 2-3 seconds of Key:START.

Your voltages sound OK - have you re-checked the static and running ignition timing ?

EDIT: START wire goes to the distributor after the resistor. Run wire goes through the resistor. You'll probably never see 12+ volts on the system during cranking - it takes a lot of power to roll that engine..........

Fleetwood70
05-26-11, 01:48 PM
Ok, then everything is good I guess, it's that Pertronix was advertised that it develops more energy for quicker, easier starting, but in my experience, it doesn't start faster than points.
My timing is set at 36 BTDC with manifold vacuum at idle, about 12 BTDC initial timing.