: y VS 9 ENGINE???

fredcrn
10-13-04, 02:20 AM
Can someone please explain the difference between the Y and the 9 engine. I'm sure I read here there was, but can't remember. My VIN tells me I have a 9, based on 8th figure of the VIN, right?
Thanks
Fred

Ranger
10-13-04, 11:38 AM
The only difference is the intake cam and 25 more HP on the vin 9. The vin y has more torque and HP til about 4000 RPM then the vin 9 overtakes it. Final drive ratio is also different.

Geno Castellano
10-13-04, 11:42 AM
Cam timing is the reason for the power difference. The intake cams are the only difference between the LD8 and the L37 engines from 1993-1999. On the 2000 and later engines both the intake and exhaust cams are different.

ljklaiber
10-13-04, 05:40 PM
I might add that the final drive gear ratio is taller in the sls and shorter in the sts. My 95 sls is better in roll on races than in stop and go. My wife loves her new Accord EX Coupe. Quick off the line! Caddy wins the roll on....Love ya Gal! Never race yer WIFE!!!...LOL

CadiJeff
10-13-04, 05:46 PM
Geno whats the deal w/ the 05 northstar nhp? 290 hp and 285lb-ft
what is the difference there and why? Those #s are worse than my 94 etc!

Geno Castellano
10-13-04, 11:45 PM
There are some differences in the horsepower rating procedures that went into place. The SAE standards for testing "advertised power" are changing to commonize certain features, eliminate ambiguities in test setup, etcetera. That results in lower advertised power numbers in most cases. For instance, the engine has to be tested now with the complete accessory drive system in place where as before it was not and the power for the generator, etcetera was mathemitically corrected. The engine makes the same power as it always did. It's just the rating system being phased in. It's only "lesser" on paper...

CadiJeff
10-14-04, 12:51 AM
ah so every one got screwed, or should I say torqued? lol

fredcrn
10-14-04, 04:33 AM
Thanks for the info.
Fred

Geno Castellano
10-14-04, 01:07 PM
ah so every one got screwed, or should I say torqued? lol

Nobody got screwed at all, actually. The engine is still at the same power level and the car performs the same. Just the advertised (on paper) power number used for marketing is slightly lower.

RAD
10-14-04, 02:34 PM
...Possibly an influence on insurance companies with a resulting benfit on premiums, or is the impact too slight?

Nobody got screwed at all, actually. The engine is still at the same power level and the car performs the same. Just the advertised (on paper) power number used for marketing is slightly lower.

CadiJeff
10-14-04, 05:32 PM

I say screwed because 300 hp/295 torque sounds alot better than 285 hp/280 torque
and by everyone i meant car mfgs