: Timesert Failure

mark_a_us
05-25-11, 12:26 AM
I was torqing down the heads and one of the timeserts in my block pulled out. The bottom 1/4 inch is still in there. What can I do to fix this?

The timeserts were installed prior to my aquistion of the car and I had the engine apart because one of the cam sprockets came loose and destroyed the valves and pistons on one side. Everything is done, bearings, pistons, rings, etc. I was just finishing the last cylinder head when it let go and I am not sure if there are larger timeserts that would fix this or if there is another fix. Also what are the chances another one would let go?

ejguillot
05-25-11, 03:24 AM
Yes, there are larger timeserts (called "bigserts"). You'll be needing one of those and the kit to install them.

JoeTahoe
05-25-11, 05:05 AM
if it were mine I would stud all if it can be done, after the failed insert. You said you pulled one. I bet if the others are timeserted or helicoiled that they are not in very good shape. I would hate to see you have to pull the whole thing apart again after install. If they fail. I just noticed this is you first post. Welcome there are lots of very good people on this forum. The studs are from Jake at Northstar Performance. I have studded two Caddys with the help of this forum and Jake.

mark_a_us
05-25-11, 09:31 AM
I think the problem might have been with the installation, after a closer look the timesert that pulled out it looks like there were threads only about half way up the piece that pulled out. Also with the piece that is still in there I think it may have been installed deeper than it should have been. I wonder what the chances are of finding one here locally today :).

Stingroo
05-25-11, 09:35 AM
You're really close to Jake's new shop too, since you're in North Dakota.

Welcome to the boards.

JoeTahoe
05-25-11, 05:57 PM
I just noticed you are in fargo and like stingroo said I would get ahold of Jake at Northstar Performance he is in Altoona, he is the man on a Northstar