: Insect Visor

The-Dullahan
05-24-11, 06:40 PM
You know those insect shield visor thingamajigs you see on the front of cars, mounted at the top of a grille to protect the car's hood from insects? Yeah, where can I get a good one for an 11th Brougham?

Angry Matt
05-24-11, 08:18 PM
You might have to go back to 1985. Are you going to get the little guy that peeks over the edge too? Honestly they probably all dried out and cracked over the years, but I'll keep my eye out at the yard.

sven914
05-24-11, 08:55 PM
You could always make one from plywood and plastic sheeting...

The-Dullahan
05-26-11, 12:07 AM
Nah, someone must still make one, I just didn't look too deeply, figuring someone here must know someplace. Honestly, it wasn't for my Hearse, but because I decided that in spite of recent exploits I still have parking space for another car and I was looking at some Broughams, including a few coupes. I went and looked at a Brougham today (link at bottom, lots of photos), seller asking $5,000 and I was ready to buy, in spite of not being particularly fond of EITHER the exterior or interior colours, but as it turns out, the car was actually a total bust in person.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-Cadillac-Fleetwood-Sedan-1-owner-70ks-truly-mint-/120727023196?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1c1be42e5c#v4-41

Stingroo
05-26-11, 12:12 AM
What happened to that sweet two-tone coupe?

sven914
05-26-11, 12:16 PM
\ I went and looked at a Brougham today (link at bottom, lots of photos), seller asking $5,000 and I was ready to buy, in spite of not being particularly fond of EITHER the exterior or interior colours, but as it turns out, the car was actually a total bust in person.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-Cadillac-Fleetwood-Sedan-1-owner-70ks-truly-mint-/120727023196?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1c1be42e5c#v4-41

What was wrong with it (besides the price)?

If it ran horribly, the PCV system isn't hooked up right and the engine has a massive vacuum leak.

http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq201/pinstr4car/1938%20Chevy%20%20DO%20NOT%20REMOVE/1987%20Cadi%20Fleetwood%20white/156.jpg

The-Dullahan
05-26-11, 07:36 PM
Suspension sucked, car could not drive without acting a bit TOO MUCH like a boat. It was clearly mechanical, as the bumping perfectly matched the speed of acceleration. I mean it, this was more than noticeable. There was also a hole in the rear carpet and the headliner in the back was...well, it was part scary, part sad...Likewise, though these two are minor, the Rearview mirror was ripped off of the windshield (I don't believe in those anyhow and refuse to put one into my Brougham) and the side mirrors were wedged in so they were completely impossible to use. No matter HOW you sit, the mirrors were permanently looking at their respective windows, turned as far in and down as possible. The levers were immobile, permanently stuck and even [graciously forceful] prying of the mirrors and sticks manually did nothing. Was cool to drive a Brougham that weighed a lot less than mine though.

The guy who runs the place and his wife are nice, should have arranged to speak with them. The salesman I got to deal with was less than credible and quite literally knew nothing about the car. He went around the car after I explained what driving it was like and shook it up and down, saying it was clearly just the shocks and that he could determine that, because the car should be impossible to rock at all, if they worked right. My car shakes that way if I vigorously bounce on the corners... He also insited the headliner would cots $80-$100 as a MAXIMUM and he would expect it to be a lot less. Earlier when I mentioned the mirror, before I even explained my opinions of the headliner, he told me that was his specialty in cars: replacing headliners. He also insisted the "bulbs" in the opera lamps just needed to be changed and showed me how the side panel comes off to get to them, which is a lie, because I know DAMN well how to get to the inside of the opera lamps and they don't have bulbs anyway. He also said that the 5.0 was a very rare engine and apparently had the opinion that it was CUSTOM ORDERED from the factory to be put in this very special car. He basically shat himself when I explained how much I knew about the car to my associates with me and insisted we go look at another, referencing what looks to be a pristine green with white leather and black vinyl roof brougham with five, count them FIVE wire wheels that I heard a rumour about. Turns out that car IS real, is being sold for $4k...but it's in Georgia. Plenty of cheaper Broughams nearby, I'll keep looking, because this car was...was just no.

Sting, I'll have to try to arrange to see the coupe.

cadillac kevin
05-26-11, 08:25 PM
that car looks decent, but definitely not 5k. I'd be hesitant of paying 3500 based on a few pictures. I'm not a fan of those door/ seat designs. looks like vinyl found in a caprice (I know door panels are vinyl, but they LOOK vinyl. I wouldnt doubt the 70k mileage based on cindition, but I'd say it hasnt been babied its whole life (floor looks a bit worn in pics, mirrors messed up, etc.) the description says its restored, but doesnt say whats been redone, so that makes me kinda leery.

sven914
05-26-11, 09:19 PM
You would think with all that bullshit about the engine, it would at least be an LG8.

steck
05-28-11, 09:16 AM
but as it turns out, the car was actually a total bust in person.

I;ve been watching that car. i love blue leather !!

what was wrong with it 'in person' ??

The-Dullahan
05-30-11, 12:26 AM
I thought I already answered that.

You can buy it if you don't care about little things like suspensions or having a headliner.