: 94 brougham a/c question

renegaderob18
05-24-11, 05:56 PM
I just charged my a/c and the gauge says it is full both times when I checked it. It was 88 outside, 86 yesterday and 84 the day before. I keep the a/c set at 60 and on high and it is only coming out as cool cold air instead of ice cold air like it was last year. I am not sure as to why it is only cool instead of ice cold since it is reading a full charge. It takes about 5 to 7 minutes to just get the a/c to blow cool with it blowing on high set at 60 inside. Any ideas?

jayoldschool
05-24-11, 06:08 PM
Did you charge with the engine idling?

thefleetwoodguy
05-24-11, 06:18 PM
could be the control temp valve took a dump
located behind the glove box to the left
there are three marks on it see if
its closing the door completely
I just replaced one for a customer last week

renegaderob18
05-24-11, 06:24 PM
Yes, I did have the car idling and ac set at 60 and the ac on high when I charged it

jayoldschool
05-24-11, 10:54 PM
You are supposed to have the engine RPM at 2000 to charge properly. What's the pressure on the low side?

renegaderob18
05-25-11, 02:28 PM
the pressure was around 25 when just idling and then kicked up to 35 pds of pressure when ac kicked in at full blast

renegaderob18
05-25-11, 10:37 PM
Is there another name for the temp control valve or do you have a pic for it because the parts store don't know what I am talking about? I am looking at that because I added a second can of ac charge and it got a 33% cooler then what it was, but it still takes 7 minutes or so of driving before u feel it gets cold and it still doesn't get ice cold. So if I take off the black covering under the glove box then will I be able to stick my hand behind the glove box to feel the temp control valve or any other ideas?

thefleetwoodguy
05-26-11, 12:31 AM
the best way to access the temp c/v is to carefully remove
the little nylon cable from the outside left glove box, with some needle nose pliers
then at the top middle of the glove box theres a stop tab just gently push it back so it doesnt catch, the glove box should then go all the way forward
you can see the t/c/m to the left there are two screws that hold it on
if you have skinny hands you may be able to get to it from below, Im not sure
but like I said theres 3 positions marked on it, full open full close and 50/50 see link
I have used ones as well if it turns out thats what you need
http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-15-72971-Actuator-Assembly/dp/B0011YHOE4

renegaderob18
05-26-11, 05:15 PM
Took off the temp c/v and it was open all the way. When I turned it the other way it started getting hot like the heater was on, so I left it go and it opened the whole way and it still blew cold air out but not ice cold and when it hits above 85 outside is when it takes that 7 min or so in time to start getting cold, but never ice cold. The psi was at either 40 or 45 when I put the ac gauge on it. It was around 25 to 30 after the first can so I added the second can and it only got a little colder. Is there any other ideas out there that it might be?

jayoldschool
05-26-11, 05:36 PM
How long is the compressor staying on with the AC on MAX with the car idling? I think you are still low. I bet it is cycling on for about 1-3 seconds, then cycling off. Remember, charge at 2000 rpm. That compressor will suck down the freon like a frat boy drinking buds on spring break.

renegaderob18
05-27-11, 06:58 PM
Checked the compressor today twice for about 30-45sec each time with the ac on high and set at 60. The compressor ran the whole time and never shut off. Like I said the ac seems ice cold below 85 but as soon as it gets above 85 outside it only gets a little cold. Last year even in the high 90's it was ice cold. Are there anymore ideas to try?