: Another battery drain...

caddiedrummer
05-24-11, 05:07 PM
My wife has an 09 Escalade we bought new 15 months ago. Last month while out of town (of, course) the battery runs all the way down. I replace it. It runs fine for 3 weeks then the new battery runs down repeatedly.

Take it to dealer today and they are replacing DCM. Hope that works. I am ordering a heavy duty Odyessy battery like I use in my Ford GTs since they seem bullet proof.

h2kool4tn
05-24-11, 06:09 PM
I'm new to the Escalade, why do they run out of battery so quick? I have the premium version with power running board and stuff.... maybe opening the doors 50 times a day? Will installing a second battery void the warranty?

2007caddy
05-24-11, 07:21 PM
Read he sticky on the " Second Battery " setup or do a search on the site there are few good threads which are very helpful.....second battery setup (which) I have just prolongs the inevitable....both batteries will drain if the vehicle is left idle for 1-2 weeks while on vacation but it will prevent the battery drain while cleaning or working on your vehicle with the interior lights on...happy reading

2007XTSDub
05-24-11, 07:55 PM
Read he sticky on the " Second Battery " setup or do a search on the site there are few good threads which are very helpful.....second battery setup (which) I have just prolongs the inevitable....both batteries will drain if the vehicle is left idle for 1-2 weeks while on vacation but it will prevent the battery drain while cleaning or working on your vehicle with the interior lights on...happy reading

Or you can just switch all your lights to leds. They take less draw and are much brighter: )

Sent from Android.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-25-11, 01:07 PM
My wife has an 09 Escalade we bought new 15 months ago. Last month while out of town (of, course) the battery runs all the way down. I replace it. It runs fine for 3 weeks then the new battery runs down repeatedly.

Take it to dealer today and they are replacing DCM. Hope that works. I am ordering a heavy duty Odyessy battery like I use in my Ford GTs since they seem bullet proof.

Glad to see you're getting covered by your dealer. Hopefully this fix will get your vehicle all squared away and you'll able to enjoy it again and for a long time to come! h2kooltn, have you been having your batter run down on you recently? Have you spoken with your dealership yet? Thank you for your time.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

sparsons79
05-25-11, 09:56 PM
I was having the same When problem cleaning out the caddy listening to music and this past football season tailgating. So, I installed a yellowtop a few months ago and just installed a second battery (another yellowtop) when the amp and sub was installed.

Big Windy Ext
05-26-11, 05:22 PM
I didn't have a drain problem but I installed 2 red tops and all led lighting . I snowmobile and didn't need the Caddy Boy's truck wouldn't start in 20 below weather . Instead I was the hero jumping a Ford 250 after I remote started mine and let her warm the bum heater a bit . After you are done and the dealer throws in the hat do the two battery mod , worth every dime .

krieghoff
05-26-11, 05:31 PM
I have 2 batteries in my 2008 ESV and it helped.

If is sits over a week the battery will go dead!

The only way to make sure it will stay charged is to use a Battery Tender on it!

I only use my ESV for pulling a trailer and shooting sporting clays.

It sits all week and is only used on weekend.

If I don't use a Battery Tender it will not start.

With the Battery Tender I never have a problem with is starting.

MrHolland
05-26-11, 06:08 PM
I have 2 batteries in my 2008 ESV and it helped.

If is sits over a week the battery will go dead!

The only way to make sure it will stay charged is to use a Battery Tender on it!

I only use my ESV for pulling a trailer and shooting sporting clays.

It sits all week and is only used on weekend.

If I don't use a Battery Tender it will not start.

With the Battery Tender I never have a problem with is starting.

That doesnt sound right, I can let mine sit for a month and it'll start right up. Mine is a 2010 though and has that battery monitor whatever it is.........

krieghoff
05-26-11, 09:19 PM
It was the only thing that worked for me.

Never have to worry about.

I am guessing Cadillac figured out some way to fix it on the 2010.

Many people had battery problems on this forum.

h2kool4tn
05-27-11, 12:01 AM
I have seen the Solar Battery charger things selling on Ebay (the ones that plug into cig. lighters). Anyone used or tried them before?

2007caddy
05-27-11, 12:40 AM
Krieghoff is correct, I have two yellow tops and the battery drained after 1 week while on vacation...Lets see if Jeff Morris " Mr Customer Service " responds to this thread.

hcvone
05-27-11, 07:38 AM
I have two red tops in one truck, two Delco's in another truck, and two Die Hard's in the third truck, two of my trucks some times sit for 3-4 weeks without being started, and they start right up, if you are not able to start your truck after a week of sitting, and you have two batteries then there are some issues with your truck.

bstiffmanofsteel
05-27-11, 06:54 PM
You guys have finally convinced me to put a second battery in my Lade. Replaced the Delco battery with a yellow top today. Put the Delco in the second tray(It won't be there very long...) and ran all the proper wiring. I spent about $45 on wiring. Went to Napa and got the retainer negative wire and bolt. Bought 8 feet of positive from my favorite electronics store...

sparsons79
05-27-11, 11:19 PM
I found the cheapest Yellowtops to be at Sams Club. You can get them online cheap as well.

I have two red tops in one truck, two Delco's in another truck, and two Die Hard's in the third truck, two of my trucks some times sit for 3-4 weeks without being started, and they start right up, if you are not able to start your truck after a week of sitting, and you have two batteries then there are some issues with your truck.

2007caddy
05-28-11, 02:35 AM
Nothing wrong with my truck as per my dealer after I visited when both batteries died....go figure...we all know what the battery drain is tied to, therefore I will disconnect the fuse while on the vacation

Coop
05-28-11, 02:56 AM
Mine can sit for a week or longer and I have no problems starting it although adding a second battery is on the to do list.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-01-11, 04:53 PM
If anyone is experiencing this issue with your battery/batteries, please direct message me with your VIN so I can look into this for you.

Thank you!

Elizabeth, Cadillac Customer Service

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-02-11, 01:46 PM
It's not "common" for the battery on a 07-09 vehicle to "die" when it sits for a few days without being started. Late model GM vehicles with a properly functioning battery and electrical system, should be able to sit for about 10 days or longer and still have sufficient energy in the battery to start the vehicle. A newer vehicle, like the 2010 ESV, may be able to go 20+ days between starts.

With that said, there are several factors that come into play, including but not limited to:

1. Electrical "architecture" of the vehicle. All late model vehicles are equipped with electronic modules (computers) that consume small amounts of electrical power to maintain their memory, even when the vehicle is "off". This is a normal characteristic of all late model vehicles. This is one reason why the Owner's Manual suggests disconnecting the battery if the vehicle is used infrequently or not driven for an extended period of time. (See Owner's Manual, Section 7 - Battery).

2. Aftermarket electrical accessories. These accessories may add to the normal parasitic drain, decreasing the amount of time the vehicle can sit between starts. Improperly installed accessories could cause an excessive parasitic drain, leading to a dead battery within a few days, or less.

3. Your driving habits. Short trip driving (less than about 5 miles) is more stressful on a battery than driving the vehicle longer distances. Every time a vehicle is started, a significant amount of electrical energy is released by the battery to start the vehicle. This depleted energy needs to be replenished by the vehicle charging system. Longer driving distances allow the charging system to fully recharge the battery. Short trip driving may result in a battery with a low state of charge. Short driving/charging cycles can also shorten the useful life of the battery.

4. Battery condition. As mentioned above, short trip drive cycles can have an adverse affect on the battery. Over time, a battery that's subjected to repeat short driving/charging cycles will "die" sooner than a battery that is fully recharged during each drive cycle. Battery age is also a factor. All batteries deteriorate over time. A new battery is able to accept and "hold a charge" for a longer period of time than an older battery. Think about the battery in your cell phone. Does a 2 year old cell phone battery last as long between charges as a brand new cell phone battery? The same principle applies to vehicle batteries.

hcvone
06-02-11, 05:07 PM
It's not "common" for the battery on a 07-09 vehicle to "die" when it sits for a few days without being started. Late model GM vehicles with a properly functioning battery and electrical system, should be able to sit for about 10 days or longer and still have sufficient energy in the battery to start the vehicle. A newer vehicle, like the 2010 ESV, may be able to go 20+ days between starts.

With that said, there are several factors that come into play, including but not limited to:

1. Electrical "architecture" of the vehicle. All late model vehicles are equipped with electronic modules (computers) that consume small amounts of electrical power to maintain their memory, even when the vehicle is "off". This is a normal characteristic of all late model vehicles. This is one reason why the Owner's Manual suggests disconnecting the battery if the vehicle is used infrequently or not driven for an extended period of time. (See Owner's Manual, Section 7 - Battery).

2. Aftermarket electrical accessories. These accessories may add to the normal parasitic drain, decreasing the amount of time the vehicle can sit between starts. Improperly installed accessories could cause an excessive parasitic drain, leading to a dead battery within a few days, or less.

3. Your driving habits. Short trip driving (less than about 5 miles) is more stressful on a battery than driving the vehicle longer distances. Every time a vehicle is started, a significant amount of electrical energy is released by the battery to start the vehicle. This depleted energy needs to be replenished by the vehicle charging system. Longer driving distances allow the charging system to fully recharge the battery. Short trip driving may result in a battery with a low state of charge. Short driving/charging cycles can also shorten the useful life of the battery.

4. Battery condition. As mentioned above, short trip drive cycles can have an adverse affect on the battery. Over time, a battery that's subjected to repeat short driving/charging cycles will "die" sooner than a battery that is fully recharged during each drive cycle. Battery age is also a factor. All batteries deteriorate over time. A new battery is able to accept and "hold a charge" for a longer period of time than an older battery. Think about the battery in your cell phone. Does a 2 year old cell phone battery last as long between charges as a brand new cell phone battery? The same principle applies to vehicle batteries.

Not trying to start anything but I have owned or own 8 Escalade's since 2007, and everyone single one of them before I added the Tahoe police dual battery setup (yea I was the one who first did this dual batter thing in 2006) would not start after 2 weeks of sitting, that was after the dealer did the battery rundown software, replaced the stock battery with another Delco, it just a problem that Cadillac will do nothing about, like the poor paint finishes (orange peel) With the dual battery my trucks some times sit for 4-6 weeks and start every time. :)