: Aftermarket stereo unit compatibality with the premium Bose package for '05 STS

'05 STS in Missouri
05-24-11, 01:44 PM
I am looking to replace the stereo head unit in my '05 STS. However, my STS has the Bose premium package and their website says that you cannot change out the head unit for an aftermarket one. I've talked with several performance audio places and they seem to believe that it won't be a problem. Has anyone replaced their stereo head unit in an STS that has the Bose premium package and how (if at all) did it affect the sound quality? Did it require an entire stereo system change (speakers and all)? I need help with these questions. Thanks!

caddyfat2
05-24-11, 04:40 PM
I believe the Bose system is a 2 ohm system and it requires a whole system change to be right.

ddalder
05-24-11, 05:27 PM
Part of the problem you'll have is integration with other components in your car. The stereo systems activate or deactivate various personalization settings in other systems (door locking, seat recall positions, headlamp delay, and many others). If you remove your factory unit, you will no longer have control over these. What they are set at is how they will remain.

There are a couple of options... Some people will wire the factory stereo into the trunk with connections to the data bus and power so you can continue to access personalization settings.

You will also have problems with OnStar (if you use this), XM radio, steering wheel controls and warning chimes. These systems are integrated through the factory stereo. Additional aftermarket modules are often available (at least for OnStar and warning chimes) to preserve this functionality. Just remember that what you gain must offset the other problems you will experience.

'05 STS in Missouri
05-25-11, 11:38 AM
What about sound quality? When I talked to the people at BOSE, they told me that the sound quality could be significantly reduced or that the speakers might not function at all. However, when I spoke with the performance sound places, they said that with the proper wireing harnes, there wouldn't be any issues. I just want to make sure that I don't end up with a non-functioning $2000 stereo.

chazglenn3
05-25-11, 12:14 PM
The key issue (for you it seems) is that the Bose system is 2 ohm (maybe 1 ohm) as mentioned earlier. A wiring harness will not change the resistance, The stereo you buy will have to have the correct output. I'm sure that a head unit that meets the needs exists. I agree that the bigger problem is what the OEM stereo does other than play music.

EChas3
05-25-11, 09:07 PM
Perhaps it would be wiser to simply address your concerns with the Bose system. I think it sounds better than most OEM system and better than many aftermarket systems. What do you feel are its shortcomings?

'05 STS in Missouri
05-26-11, 07:17 AM
It doesn't have nav, bluetooth, or the ability to link with my iPhone.

chazglenn3
05-26-11, 09:47 AM
If your post above means you have a budget of $2000 for the head unit change, I believe you can retro fit the STS navigation unit into your car for that money or much less. I have seen the units on eBay for $650. This thread describes the install...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/181473-added-nav-non-nav-sts-100-a.html

mastadan20
05-26-11, 09:48 PM
If you you retro fit you car with a factory NAVI you wont get (voice) turn by turn capability.....you will just have to look at the navi to know how far or when u arrive at your destination...

mastadan20
05-26-11, 09:49 PM
If your post above means you have a budget of $2000 for the head unit change, I believe you can retro fit the STS navigation unit into your car for that money or much less. I have seen the units on eBay for $650. This thread describes the install...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/181473-added-nav-non-nav-sts-100-a.html

If you you retro fit you car with a factory NAVI you wont get (voice) turn by turn capability.....you will just have to look at the navi to know how far or when u arrive at your destination...

1BadCadSTS
05-26-11, 09:52 PM
Wrong you can no body has bothered to do it yet.

EChas3
05-26-11, 10:16 PM
It doesn't have nav, bluetooth, or the ability to link with my iPhone.

Sorry, you must have the base system. These aren't easy cars to upgrade. You could do add-in's for all but Nav and even the less pricey portable unit are very good.

But if you want in-built, you have a choice between two flawed options. Buy an OEM Nav on e-bay (or eq.) and live with some limitations or have your OEM head-end wired in the trunk & completely replace everything else. Exepnsive and a lot of work but some find joy n the chase.

I'd trade cars. It probably wouldn't cost much more. Decide what you really want and wait until you find it at the price you can afford. The longer it takes, the more you can afford.