: Where's Ralph?

RBraczyk
10-12-04, 09:51 PM
Haven't seen him around. Is he just lurking or did he go somewhere :confused: .

tru504187211
10-12-04, 10:00 PM
I could have sworn he said he was taking a little vacation...

Elvis
10-12-04, 10:19 PM
I could have sworn he said he was taking a little vacation...

Yeah, I forgot where, but he did say something about being gone this week. Check the Supafly b'day thread. It's in there somewhere.

barge master
10-13-04, 07:15 AM
Monday was Thanksgiving Day in Canada.

RBraczyk
10-13-04, 10:39 AM
Canada has a thanksgiving day :confused:

T_Dogg8
10-13-04, 10:55 AM
i think ralph said he was going to visit his parent's and fiance maybe??

RBraczyk
10-13-04, 10:58 AM
Sounds like fun :eek:

barge master
10-13-04, 11:15 AM
Canada has a thanksgiving day :confused:
They have it but I don't know if they do the traditional turkey thing that we do.

brougham
10-13-04, 11:19 AM
Monday was Thanksgiving Day in Canada.

Yeah it was :yup:

airbalancer
10-13-04, 12:46 PM
from goverement of Canada web site about Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving and Remembrance Day
The first Thanksgiving Day in Canada after Confederation was observed on April 15, 1872, to celebrate the recovery of The Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII) from a serious illness.

No record is found of a Thanksgiving Day between 1872 and 1879.

From 1879 to 1898, both inclusive, it was observed on a Thursday in November. In 1899, it was fixed on a Thursday in October, where it stayed until 1907, with the exception of 1901 and 1904 when the date was fixed on a Thursday in November.

From 1908 to 1921, it was observed on a Monday in October, the exact date being appointed by proclamation.

From 1921 to 1930, the Armistice Day Act provided that Thanksgiving would be observed on Armistice Day, which was fixed by statute on the Monday of the week in which November 11 fell.

In 1931, Parliament adopted an Act to amend the Armistice Day Act, providing that the day should be observed on November 11 and that the day should be known as "Remembrance Day".

Accordingly, the old practice was resumed of fixing Thanksgiving Day by proclamation, and it has been since 1931 on the second Monday of October, with the exception of 1935 where, after Thanksgiving Day had been fixed on October 14, it was decided to hold the general election on that date. A new proclamation was issued deferring the observance to October 24, a Thursday. This resulted in a great deal of controversy and the practice of observance on a Thursday was not pursued in future years.

From 1936 to 1956, inclusive, a proclamation was issued yearly to appoint the second Monday of October as Thanksgiving Day. In 1957, a proclamation was issued fixing permanently Thanksgiving Day on that day, thus eliminating the necessity of an annual proclamation.

Prior to 1867, there had been proclamations issued in Canada, the first one recorded being for 1799. The following is a list of the dates of the proclamations and observance of General Thanksgiving Days, and reasons therefore.

Proclamation and Observance of General Thanksgiving Days and reasons therefore.

daacon
10-13-04, 12:54 PM
yep we have Turkey and Ham and pumpkin pie .......
football (CFL) on the tube
Bellies full of food and drink :p

I thnik the US Thanksgiving is a much bigger National Holiday and I also read somewhere it is the biggest shopping weekend all year (getting ready for Christmas)

The forecast here is for snow on Sunday :eek:

RBraczyk
10-13-04, 02:52 PM
Dear god no snow yet. I betcha thanksgiving here started the obese american way.

airbalancer
10-13-04, 03:10 PM
I thnik the US Thanksgiving is a much bigger National Holiday and I also read somewhere it is the biggest shopping weekend all year (getting ready for Christmas)

The forecast here is for snow on Sunday :eek:

I think reason more people travel to family for the US thankgiving because it falls on a Thursday so alot of people have a longer weekend and the the good people north of the great lakes at Xmas have Boxing Day off, the day after Xmas, while in the States they work Boxing day.
I should be in Mexico for the US thanksgiving this November traveling to the ruins.

Ralph is Saskatchewan , which is like the twilight zone. He may be traped in there

daacon
10-13-04, 04:16 PM
Ralph is Saskatchewan , which is like the twilight zone. He may be traped in there

:histeric: :histeric: :histeric:

One of the only places that does not do the Day Light Savings switch. If Ralph stood on a High Ladder he could probably see my place (very very flat province).

My dad use to live There (MooseJaw - and no not "many" igloos there )- from my place it was 489 miles east on YellowHead highway , then take a right ...wish I had the caddy then :getaway:

Ralph
10-13-04, 11:20 PM
:p Nice to be missed, and I'm not talking about a .44 mag either. :disappoin

Instead of Turkey my Mom got a 9 pound chicken! :hmm: Something missing on the tube....oh ya.....HOCKEY!!! :rolleyes2

Ralph
10-13-04, 11:23 PM
:histeric: :histeric: :histeric:

One of the only places that does not do the Day Light Savings switch. If Ralph stood on a High Ladder he could probably see my place (very very flat province).

My dad use to live There (MooseJaw - and no not "many" igloos there )- from my place it was 489 miles east on YellowHead highway , then take a right ...wish I had the caddy then :getaway:

I don't mind the fact that we don't have to set our watches back. I think the golfers want an extra hour to play or something but I don't want to get out of bed before it's light out! That just sucks in the winter. :crying:

RBraczyk
10-13-04, 11:29 PM
YAAAAAAAAY!!!! My favorite canadien is back! How did it go?

Ralph
10-13-04, 11:35 PM
YAAAAAAAAY!!!! My favorite canadien is back! How did it go?

Not bad and thank you for the appreciation. :halo:

Other than the 9 pound chicken and almost choking on a bone, I missed you guys too. My fiance will be taking classes and working weekends for a couple more months unless she gets this one good job she applied for here. Not much else I suppose. The Caddy ran terrific but I noticed a little more road noise than my old Grand Marquis.

I will be pm'ing you soon about something so check your box in a bit. :yup:

T_Dogg8
10-14-04, 07:59 AM
welcome back ralph. chicken on thanksgiving??? that sounds like something my mom would try to pull. i make it very clear turkey on thanksgiving and ham AND turkey on christmas :D

RBraczyk
10-14-04, 11:19 AM
Yea, Its just me and my dad on Thanksgiving 90% of the time so its just chicken with enough stuffing to fill a 20 pound turkey. Probably not healty, but tastes better. Turkey is overrated anyways. Doesn't stay as moist as chicken.

barge master
10-14-04, 01:43 PM
How warm is it getting during the day up there at this time of year Ralph??

Ralph
10-14-04, 10:17 PM
welcome back ralph. chicken on thanksgiving??? that sounds like something my mom would try to pull. i make it very clear turkey on thanksgiving and ham AND turkey on christmas :D

LOL! Well, there were only 3 of us this year so it didn't matter too much. Like RB said, turkey is kinda dry at times. :) (do you guys have "Butterballs")

Ralph
10-14-04, 10:20 PM
How warm is it getting during the day up there at this time of year Ralph??

That's the strange thing about the praries. A few days ago I was able to wear shorts (I hate jeans!) because it was oddly +25 C or 77 F. Today it was only 10 C or 50 F. I try to wear shorts until the first snow which unfortunately is supposed to be this weekend. :rolleyes2

Stoneage_Caddy
10-14-04, 11:00 PM
LOL! Well, there were only 3 of us this year so it didn't matter too much. Like RB said, turkey is kinda dry at times. :) (do you guys have "Butterballs")

only when the butterfinger candy bar ends up in the wrong pocket :eek:

seems like we can get that brand of turkey , its been awhile since weve had one of them

Elvis
10-14-04, 11:20 PM
With all this varmint slaying I've been doing lately, I asked a friend of mine (who knows about such things) what I would have to do if I wanted to hunt turkeys.

1) I've gotta get a damn license?!?!?!?

2) The turkeys you find in the wild aren't anywhere NEAR as big as the ones you buy in the store.

3) Turkey season is in MAY! WTF good does that do me? I want a turkey for Thanksgiving, dammit!!!

Ralph
10-14-04, 11:23 PM
only when the butterfinger candy bar ends up in the wrong pocket :eek:

LOL! It's a crying shame that you can't get the proper beer (Molson) to wash that dry bird down. I feel sorry for you guys. :lildevil:

Ralph
10-14-04, 11:27 PM
With all this varmint slaying I've been doing lately, I asked a friend of mine (who knows about such things) what I would have to do if I wanted to hunt turkeys.

1) I've gotta get a damn license?!?!?!?

2) The turkeys you find in the wild aren't anywhere NEAR as big as the ones you buy in the store.

3) Turkey season is in MAY! WTF good does that do me? I want a turkey for Thanksgiving, dammit!!!

But what if you become overrun with wild turkeys? Are you allowed to slay them if they became a pest? :histeric: We don't need any special permits to hunt here, only a general hunting liscense. Also, I heard on the car radio the other day that there are no laws here to hunt "exotic" animals. Now what they mean by "exotics" I have NO IDEA. :confused:

Elvis
10-14-04, 11:35 PM
I suppose that if one wandered onto my property, I could get away with it. If he pecked around in the flower bed, Momma would put out a contract on him.

The problem with turkeys is that they're really smart and hard to hunt. You've gotta do the camo thing, hide in the bushes and be really still and quiet. I prefer spotlights and lawn chairs.

Ralph
10-14-04, 11:42 PM
I prefer spotlights and lawn chairs.
We prefer shotguns and skidoos. Preferably shotguns resting on the skidoo's windshield. :sneaky: I think the closest thing to turkey is sharp-tailed grouse, and we have plenty of those.

T_Dogg8
10-15-04, 07:35 AM
we do have molson here and recently (at least i hadn't seen it here before) we've gotten molson XXX. now that stuff can put you down quick. a six pack of that will put you to bed.

as far as the turkey, i guess you're not cooking it right :) plus i love leftover turkey sandwiches. does anyone else get that 'pre-cut' spiral ham?? that stuff is good.

airbalancer
10-15-04, 07:37 AM
LOL! It's a crying shame that you can't get the proper beer (Molson) to wash that dry bird down. I feel sorry for you guys. :lildevil:
Do have any small beer makes in Green Rider land? I usually buy Lakeport Honey Brown,$24 for a 24 case got like that price, the big Molson is like $38 a case. I like it better then the big boys.
The wife will not buy a butterball as it has to much junk put into it, probably no butter either.
One Thanksgiving wife made only 6 pumpkins pies and 6 cans of whip cream.
It turned into a food fight, but after 10 years the kids still talk about that day

Elvis
10-15-04, 01:45 PM
We prefer shotguns and skidoos. Preferably shotguns resting on the skidoo's windshield. :sneaky: I think the closest thing to turkey is sharp-tailed grouse, and we have plenty of those.

I'm really not much of a hunter, but I could do grouse or pheasant. I used to have a springer spaniel that would have been great at flushing. She wasn't very good at the retrieving part, she wanted me to chase her.

I've been told that pheasants make a lot of noise flapping their wings, sound like a plane taking off. Never seen one, so I dunno.

Ralph
10-15-04, 05:23 PM
Do have any small beer makes in Green Rider land?

Actually I live down the street from "Great Western" brewery. Can you get that in Ontario? I hear they are growing, and everyonce in a while they have a big party for the employees outside. I should invite myself. :sneaky:

Ralph
10-15-04, 05:28 PM
I'm really not much of a hunter, but I could do grouse or pheasant. I used to have a springer spaniel that would have been great at flushing. She wasn't very good at the retrieving part, she wanted me to chase her.

I've been told that pheasants make a lot of noise flapping their wings, sound like a plane taking off. Never seen one, so I dunno.

I don't hunt anymore either. No more place to do it really. Mostly gophers when we had a hobby farm. (quarter section) I became quite a good shot with the Squires Bingham M-16 in .22 cal I had until the govt. deemed it illegal and I had to get rid of it! (military-look-a-like law)

I've heard that noise they make when they flap their wings. It's like a drum beating faintly and it gets extremely fast. My Dad was a well known nature photographer in Sask. on the side and I have some incredible slides of one and you cannot even see the wings when the flap, etc.

Ralph
10-15-04, 05:58 PM
Speaking of missing people, where the heck are you RB???

airbalancer
10-15-04, 09:59 PM
Actually I live down the street from "Great Western" brewery. Can you get that in Ontario? I hear they are growing, and everyonce in a while they have a big party for the employees outside. I should invite myself. :sneaky:

Have not seen that brand yet

Ralph
10-16-04, 04:40 AM
Lakeport Honey Brown

I've never heard of this beer! Where is it from, Ontario?

airbalancer
10-16-04, 08:47 AM
http://www.lakeportbeverage.ca/online/cold_beer.html here a link to their site
I think Wee Willy is the brand for you

Wee Willy is a premium Scottish-style dark beer made from the choicest hops and roasted barley. Wee Willy is brewed to the same standards as Scottish imports but at only a fraction of the import price.
24 pack - 341mL bottles
6 pack - 341mL bottles
$29.30
$7.95