: HIR Bulbs for High Beams

CTBB
05-24-11, 11:37 AM
I just purchased a set of HIR Lows & Highs for my Subaru SVX, and was wondering if anyone was using them as High Beams on the STS to compliment the HIDs? I've been somewhat disappointed every time I've hit the High Beams on this car, and see that the 9011 (65W) bulb can be fitted to the Cad. Anyone?

Here's a link to my vendor: http://store.candlepower.com/9011.html
and here's a nice explanation of the technology: http://hirheadlights.com/index.htm
I bought from Candlepower with special 4 bulbs for $100 and free shipping if this interests you for possible application on another vehicle. The tabs have to be ground a bit to fit in the lamp, but wiring is P&P.

Glenn

EChas3
05-24-11, 08:49 PM
I have the HID's and they are plenty bright. My wife doesn't have that option and hers are real good, too. Bulbs do sometimes fade as they age. I'd replace the originals rather than upgrade.

ddalder
05-24-11, 09:08 PM
So personally, I like the HIR bulbs (for what they are). My Bonneville (GXP) uses the HIR-1 as a stock high beam. When a friend and I compared our Bonneville's side-by-side, we found quite a difference. His (an SSEi) used the standard 9006/9005 configuration while mine is 9006/HIR-1. Despite the SSEi using all four lamps with high beams activated, the GXP shuts off the low beams and only turns on the HIR-1's. My car still far outperformed his with a brighter and slightly whiter light.

I since upgraded my GXP low beams to the HIR-2 which is the "equivalent" of the 9006. The Nissan Maxima also uses the HIR-2 as stock in some model years. I also found quite a difference between the HIR-2 and 9006.

http://www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10781

I'm using the genuine Toshiba HIR bulbs though. I understand these are no longer in production and a "replacement" is available by another manufacturer. I don't have any experience with these however. I was thinking of installing the HIR-1's in place of my 9005's but unless I can find more Toshiba bulbs, I probably won't.

turnne
05-24-11, 09:10 PM
I have the HID's and they are plenty bright. My wife doesn't have that option and hers are real good, too. Bulbs do sometimes fade as they age. I'd replace the originals rather than upgrade.

I think what he meant he was disappointed that the high beams were not HID on the STS..ie..Bi Xenon like in the other makes

Something that I have wondered myself as well...since that technology was around before the latest STS was introduced

Warren

CTBB
05-24-11, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the replies folks. Yes, I said compliment the HID lows, which are very satisfactory. I used the HIR-1's and HIR-2's on my previous SVX and was very pleased with the results compared to some of the rube goldberg HID conversions some owners were using, or using 9005 bulbs as low beams (very short life) . They were the original Toshiba bulbs, but 3 of 4 were lost in the crash that cost me that wonderful Limited Edition '93 (one of 301!) The latest Low beam 9012 bulb is made by Philips and very highly recommended by my friend and lighting guru Daniel Stern Lighting Consultant, my original source. Think it will be my next upgrade to this wonderful vehicle. I LOVE this STS!!

Glenn