: MPG - With Spare Tire Kit VS Without Kit

Kuya
05-24-11, 09:04 AM
I am contemplating getting the spare tire kit, as I will be doing a long haul this December . . . 99% chance all will be fine, but it's that 1% chance that I blow a tire, and can't find a replacement immediately and have to sit overnight at a garage/dealer. . . and ultimately miss our cruise. That 1% has me steaming mad that the SRX does not come with the spare . . but alas, what can ya do.

So, my question is . . .for those who HAVE installed the Spare Tire Kit . . . did your MPG change any? If so, what was the difference?

I currently get 18.2 MPG on short trips to work, and about 22 MPG on long highway trips (according to the dash-information)

Wondering what carrying a spare around will do, if anything, to my MPG.

Smokin' SRX
05-24-11, 10:41 AM
.0000025 MPG difference, or like a big meal w/dessert! Not to worry. If you were tying onto the roof rack, then we'd have a "drag' loss. LOL

SS

cz9h3d
05-24-11, 05:44 PM
It will cost you $10 over the life of your car ;)
These (and all) items can/do impact the EPA window labels. All the mass of every option does eventually add up, and rounding up from 22.51mpg vs. down from 22.49 is a pretty big deal for a window label!

To me the bigger issue is whether you'll miss the underfloor storage (potentially everyday if you use it) vs. the peace of mind of a compact spare (and for the rare chance you'll need it - when it's very important!).

JimmyH
05-24-11, 06:30 PM
I always chuckle a little when hypermiling experts tell you to take the spare out.

Kuya
05-24-11, 10:29 PM
$10 over the life of the car . . . done. I will install the spare tire kit and no worries.

I highly doubt I will miss the underfloor storage . . it is so small really and I will probably always forget it is even there. I had storage like that in my previous car. . think I opened it twice the entire 6 years I owned the car.

You are correct . . . I will possibly never ever have need for the spare . . . but for me it is a must have. I will be driving from NY yo Florida in December to make our Cruise . . . an un-repairable blow out . . with the risk of being stuck overnight while they locate a tire . . is just not an option. At least if I have the spare, I hit onstar . . have someone get me on my way . . . and maybe even see if they can help me locate a tire on my path . . .

It will cost you $10 over the life of your car ;)
These (and all) items can/do impact the EPA window labels. All the mass of every option does eventually add up, and rounding up from 22.51mpg vs. down from 22.49 is a pretty big deal for a window label!

To me the bigger issue is whether you'll miss the underfloor storage (potentially everyday if you use it) vs. the peace of mind of a compact spare (and for the rare chance you'll need it - when it's very important!).

PJ1520
05-25-11, 12:14 PM
.0000025 MPG difference........
SS

Just fill the spare with helium and your mileage will improve. :lildevil:

PJ

TRMN8R1
05-26-11, 09:38 AM
Are you kidding? Really? If you're concerned over what impact there is to adding a spare tire kit over safety, etc, my suggestion is to buy a bicycle for transportation.....................

Smokin' SRX
05-26-11, 10:42 AM
dup.

Smokin' SRX
05-26-11, 10:43 AM
I'm with you. Just skip a latte once a week.! LOL But Kuya isn't a hyper-miler................but she musta spoke to one and just didn't honestly know. Much auto mis-info abounds out there. Remember the "miracles" of Nitrogen in tires??

SS

RippyPartsDept
05-26-11, 11:42 AM
this was linked in another thread... i figured it might be good reading for some
http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2011/May/0520_cruze

Kuya
05-26-11, 12:16 PM
I have read and reread this article, and I still don't understand any real benefit of ditching the spare tire.

If dropping 26 pounds, only saves a few dollars a year in gas . . well that's nothing to write home about.

And a quote from the article:

"If a tire is too severely damaged to be repaired with the inflator kit, drivers can press the blue OnStar button on the rearview mirror to request emergency roadside assistance."

For me - that is not an option. RSA does not bring a tire with them. Who has time to be flat-bedded to a dealership on a Sunday evening, being stuck and helpless until Monday . . that is IF they have a tire in stock.

Personally, I would much rather pay the additional $400 and have a spare. Maybe I will never ever need it. But $400 is acceptable to ensure that I will not be stuck, on my vacation, in the middle of nowhere . . waiting for a tire. It at least gives me the option to move on to the next town that DOES have a tire in stock.

That's just my opinion :)

this was linked in another thread... i figured it might be good reading for some
http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2011/May/0520_cruze

RippyPartsDept
05-26-11, 01:11 PM
sure, and you're entitled to that opinion...

the spare tire is an option that can be added at the factory or after the fact if your car did not have that option added at the factory

Smokin' SRX
05-26-11, 03:38 PM
Wish it was offered me at time of sale. Only Fleet sales do that.

I fully intend to take mine out at lease end, and sell it on Ebay!~ Unless I keep the X! Just save the OEM plasto-styro molded thingy.

Get some of my $ back. Best of all worlds!

SS