: Presidential Limo defeated by a bump in Ireland...

Playdrv4me
05-24-11, 06:12 AM
http://www.rawstory.com/rawreplay/2011/05/obamas-car-gets-stuck-outside-u-s-embassy-in-dublin/

Fortunately for GM, the coverage I saw on CBS is stating the car got high centered on a "speed bump"... Of course, the only thing resembling a speed control hump is well past the rear axle by the time this occurs, and if you watch carefully something violent appears to happen to the front suspension. There's also a very audible grinding sound at about the 20 second mark. Particularly embarrassing considering the vehicle leading the motorcade.

Vidaroo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo5zH0Il8B0

Stingroo
05-24-11, 06:28 AM
I don't hear this mythical grinding sound around 20 seconds. I hear an emergency horn or something at 22 though....

Playdrv4me
05-24-11, 06:32 AM
Turn up your speakers, brah. I have no trouble hearing it right at :21 after she zooms in, and THEN the siren.

Playdrv4me
05-24-11, 06:43 AM
The more mechanically inclined can certainly add to this, but judging by the way the wheels are practically tucked up inside the fenders, it would almost seem like an airbag style suspension system failed, or went into an emergency failure position. Perhaps caused by (perceived) unusual angles of axle travel right at that moment that the computer saw as "out of range" (Range Rovers will drop to the bumpstops when a fault is detected in the air ride suspension for example). Considering that this vehicle rides on what is essentially a heavy duty truck platform, it's certainly conceivable that a similar truck based air bladder suspension would be used.

Nevertheless an embarrassing situation when your vehicle is at the center of the world's stage at any given moment, supposedly protecting the leader of the free world.

ThumperPup
05-24-11, 08:03 AM
dang i am not listening for any noise or anyting at 20seconds im just laughing at how funny that is lol

Destroyer
05-24-11, 08:12 AM
That is downright humiliating! Do they have AAA in Ireland?:bouncy:

Submariner409
05-24-11, 09:59 AM
PPPPPP - Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance - (old submarine adage...............)

There's no speed bump - just a pretty decent hump after coming up out of the courtyard. Looks like the Beemer did a scrape job too. You would think someone - maybe the driver of that 5 ton bus - would have checked out the exit and said "No way !".

FWIW, look real hard at the center of the driveway - there's an iron pad there: the center lock holes for the gates. That's one of the culprits.

thebigjimsho
05-24-11, 11:19 AM
Any noob schmuck who has driven a limo for even just a short time would know to not even try that ramp. Maybe I should send my application to the White House...

ga_etc
05-24-11, 01:06 PM
It definitely looks like the front suspension failed, for whatever reason. If it were to remain at the correct ride hight the car wouldn't have gotten stuck. It would have scraped like hell, but it would have continued on.

Why would the driver attempt an angle like that in something so damn HEAVY at anything more than a snail's pace anyway? You know good and well that the suspension is going to give, like it's supposed to, and when it does the car is going to bottom out. STOOPID.

orconn
05-24-11, 01:36 PM
Any noob schmuck who has driven a limo for even just a short time would know to not even try that ramp. Maybe I should send my application to the White House...

I would have to agree with Jim that clearance situation should have been checked out prior to trying to use that exit. Some poor advance person or Secret Service detail person is sure to get reamed but good. The BMW di also hag up on the rideg housing the apparatus to open and shut the electric gates, I am surprised this hadn't been a problem before. Ah well, just one more "hangup" for the administration!

maeng9981
05-24-11, 03:07 PM
So, conclusion looks like:

Something underbody got caught by the gate thing in the middle of the ramp, stopped the limo violently, and the front suspensions detected an "error" mode and went to default mode. Not GM's fault, whoever planned to get limos out of the building using that exit obviously did not know how limos work.

Now this is something more embarrassing....... (highly suspecting CKP's, haha!, watch around 1:25)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX4-a7VBr4c

Kev
05-24-11, 03:38 PM
Any noob schmuck who has driven a limo for even just a short time would know to not even try that ramp. Maybe I should send my application to the White House...I can imagine the conversation in the car;

Secret Service Agent in Charge; "Exit through the South gate."

Driver; "The car won't make it out that gate with this load."

Secret Service Agent in Charge; "I said exit through the South gate!"

Driver; "Yes, sir!"

**** SCHREECH-CLUNK!!! ***

creeker
05-24-11, 04:54 PM
i can imagine the conversation in the car;

secret service agent in charge; "exit through the south gate."

driver; "the car won't make it out that gate with this load."

secret service agent in charge; "i said exit through the south gate!"

driver; "yes, sir!"

**** schreech-clunk!!! ***

as donald trump would say, your fired !!

Jesda
05-24-11, 07:12 PM
The limos use diesel truck engines as far as I know. Anyone know why W's limo stalled?

Im surprised the presidential limo doesnt have a function that allows it to raise its suspension on demand by several inches.

Sevillian273
05-24-11, 09:23 PM
Is there a follow-up to this video? I wanna see the presidential tow truck!

Ranger
05-24-11, 09:30 PM
I just watch that for the first time. :histeric: Funny and humiliating at the same time.

I can imagine the conversation in the car;

Secret Service Agent in Charge; "Exit through the South gate."

Driver; "The car won't make it out that gate with this load."

Secret Service Agent in Charge; "I said exit through the South gate!"

Driver; "Yes, sir!"

**** SCHREECH-CLUNK!!! ***

Yomama; WTF was that?!

thebigjimsho
05-24-11, 10:51 PM
It definitely looks like the front suspension failed, for whatever reason. If it were to remain at the correct ride hight the car wouldn't have gotten stuck. It would have scraped like hell, but it would have continued on.

Absolutely not! Not even close. That Bimmer bottomed out. The limo has an extra 5 feet of wheelbase and it's FWD. As soon as it pivots on the bump, it's dead in the water. My Town Car L won't make certain driveways because of a sudden, steep egress. I would've seen that and said back the F up. In the Town Car, nevermind the limo.

As for the bang, I can almost guarantee that was the frame rails of that thing clanging. With the stretch, and ALL that extra weight, that thing is beefed to high heaven. I also wouldn't be surprised if the suspension is designed to tuck down like that. Maybe bottoming out fooled a defense mechanism into thinking the limo was under attack...

Ranger
05-24-11, 10:54 PM
Future presidential limos will probably be Hummers after this.

orconn
05-24-11, 11:13 PM
Future Presidential limos will probably hydrolic chassis hieght control just for situations like this ..... meanwhile it's back to the drawing boards!

Playdrv4me
05-24-11, 11:14 PM
Maybe bottoming out fooled a defense mechanism into thinking the limo was under attack...

This is basically what I assumed in my previous post. Whether or not it was by design is the real question.

ga_etc
05-25-11, 12:15 AM
Absolutely not! Not even close. That Bimmer bottomed out. The limo has an extra 5 feet of wheelbase and it's FWD. As soon as it pivots on the bump, it's dead in the water. My Town Car L won't make certain driveways because of a sudden, steep egress. I would've seen that and said back the F up. In the Town Car, nevermind the limo.

As for the bang, I can almost guarantee that was the frame rails of that thing clanging. With the stretch, and ALL that extra weight, that thing is beefed to high heaven. I also wouldn't be surprised if the suspension is designed to tuck down like that. Maybe bottoming out fooled a defense mechanism into thinking the limo was under attack...

I just watched it back, with sound this time. When I heard the impact I went back and watched the video more closely. There's something in the center of the driveway, a metal gate clasp I'm assuming, that the car hung on.

cadillac kevin
05-25-11, 12:21 AM

wouldnt the limo be rwd given it is a heavy duty GM truck chassis? or at the least AWD/ 4wd. I cant imagine a fwd anything being able to move given it weighs at least 7 tons.

thebigjimsho
05-25-11, 12:25 AM
Possibly. I know that most Cadillac limos are FWD...

Kev
05-25-11, 12:37 AM
Possibly. I know that most Cadillac limos are FWD...I remember reading something about this new Pres limo, the basic shape and emblems are about the only things in common with any other Cadillac. It's built to withstand some pretty heavy artillery.

I'm sure the Secret Service detail were freaking out on the inside with that first limo high centered, one sitting duck and blocking the president's limo behind. I'd bet the Brit PM got a kick out of the whole Three Stooges fiasco. Probably thinking it served Obama right for the blatant disrespect he showed the prime minister when he first visited the White House.

Aron9000
05-25-11, 12:55 AM
The presidential limo is based on a GM medium duty truck chassis, the Chevy Kodiak. This is the same chassis they use on roll back wreckers, electric company trucks with the boom, box trucks, etc. I'm betting that the president's limo is RWD with a durmax diesel/allison automatic like your 1 ton chevy truck.

That is extremely embarassing IMO. Any idiot should've figured out the limo would high center right there pulling out.

Playdrv4me
05-25-11, 03:42 AM
Yeah it shares virtually nothing functional but perhaps headlights and tail lights with the G chassis of the DTS. It's a complete HD platform underneath. Never thought it was FWD.

Playdrv4me
05-25-11, 03:51 AM
I just watched it back, with sound this time. When I heard the impact I went back and watched the video more closely. There's something in the center of the driveway, a metal gate clasp I'm assuming, that the car hung on.

I still don't think the car got "hung up" on anything, at least not at the point where the front suspension collapsed. The only reason it hits the ground is BECAUSE the suspension failed after it went over that piece of metal that the gates latch on to when closed. Its just a thin strip of metal and should have no effect on a vehicle passing over so I don't think that piece was the direct cause. It's possible that if that piece of metal was loose though, that the car's computer felt a loss of traction passing over it, combined with the unusual angles of both of the axles right at that moment, and it went into some kind of protection mode immediately as a result.

It's really hard to say, and I do agree with Jim that if the car had continued moving it very likely would have gotten caught up eventually, but NOT that close to the front of the car. I just don't see it.

Another consideration is whether that's the only way into and out of that Embassy compound. Because if it is, then it means the cars got in there and they should have been able to get out.

Stoneage_Caddy
05-25-11, 08:16 AM
I watched it myself .....
look at the lower rear controll arms. they contact the highest part of the "bump" just before the front suspension collapses. Problem here is someone decided to mount the controll arms way to low .... I think the front suspension is sitting on the bump stops just becuse the front "axel" is supporting 90% of the car weight after the thing got hung up .

I worked on the year 2000 deville based president limos . I have been told there all gone now , so i can say that those limos had 275 hp northstars (not the 300hp engine) , front wheel drive , and were based on the caddy commercial chassis available that year. Dont laugh but i did find a K&N air filter hiding under the hood. What amazed me the most was how thick the doors on it were, it was downright tanklike.

The new limo that we see in the video , that is an animal all its own , very much in tradition of the regan limos.

thebigjimsho
05-25-11, 04:08 PM
I still don't think the car got "hung up" on anything, at least not at the point where the front suspension collapsed. The only reason it hits the ground is BECAUSE the suspension failed after it went over that piece of metal that the gates latch on to when closed. Its just a thin strip of metal and should have no effect on a vehicle passing over so I don't think that piece was the direct cause. It's possible that if that piece of metal was loose though, that the car's computer felt a loss of traction passing over it, combined with the unusual angles of both of the axles right at that moment, and it went into some kind of protection mode immediately as a result.

It's really hard to say, and I do agree with Jim that if the car had continued moving it very likely would have gotten caught up eventually, but NOT that close to the front of the car. I just don't see it.

Another consideration is whether that's the only way into and out of that Embassy compound. Because if it is, then it means the cars got in there and they should have been able to get out.
Watch how the Bimmer scrapes as it passes over and then scrapes its chin as it makes the road. My Town Car L is of similar length. There are ramps like that I just won't approach. I'm VERY familiar with the driveshaft scrape.

I've done plenty of driving in a 6 and even longer 9 passenger stretch. Even with RWD, it's not making that. Unless you floor it on approach. Those limos would NEVER make it, failed suspension or nay...

drewsdeville
05-25-11, 04:11 PM
So, if these cars couldn't make it out of the gate, how'd the manage to get in?

thebigjimsho
05-25-11, 04:19 PM
I don't know, but, of course, these palaces are restricted to only one way out and in. It's a mystery...

Jesda
05-25-11, 07:31 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/01/005obamalimo.jpg

CadillacCastle
05-26-11, 08:35 AM
I bet the 1996 Fleetwood limos woundn't have bottomed out.

The-Dullahan
05-26-11, 07:23 PM
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs15/f/2007/083/7/d/Irish_Pride_by_introspectre.jpg

DouglasJRizzo
05-26-11, 08:57 PM
to my knowledge the presidential limos are gasoline fueled big block chevy truck motors, not diesel. the rattle and smoke of even the best diesel just won't cut it for this duty.

Destroyer
05-26-11, 09:06 PM
to my knowledge the presidential limos are gasoline fueled big block chevy truck motors, not diesel. the rattle and smoke of even the best diesel just won't cut it for this duty.You mean, no Northstar?:cool2:

smooth_ride
05-27-11, 03:49 PM
President: "What's this requisition for?"

"We need another car we so we can do a test run on every route."

There goes your tax dollars...

thebigjimsho
05-27-11, 08:00 PM
President: "What's this requisition for?"

"We need another car we so we can do a test run on every route."

There goes your tax dollars...
Math. Measure approach angle, total obstacle height and distance. Not difficult.

DouglasJRizzo
05-28-11, 04:07 PM
You mean, no Northstar?:cool2:

It's my understanding that the engines are big block chevy truck engines. Northstar would've been interesting.

Quite frankly, I don't know why they didn't use a Lincoln Town Car. Would've made a better choice, only because of all the re-engineering to get a rear drive platform tough enough for this duty. Clinton's limos were the old FWB rear drive cars, although they were also big block chevy powered. Kinda odd when the 5.7 LT1 was making more power than the Chevy truck motor was.

orconn
05-28-11, 04:29 PM
It all comes down to torque, the Northstar V8 develops most of its' torque and horsepower at higher RPMs which really doesn't lend itself to the needs of a parade car or an ultra heavy vehicle. The Northstar engine is much better used in a more performance, higher speed potential vehicle. A truck engine would be better suited to lugging the weight involved in a Presidential limousine.

Kev
10-28-12, 04:28 PM
Is this an advertisement bump?

:coffee:

Submariner409
10-28-12, 05:56 PM
He's done this before, under different names. For now, he's gone. Keep your eyes open: He's a spammer and will be back.

talismandave
10-28-12, 10:31 PM
Who Orconn? I always had my suspicions....:suspect:

CadillacLuke24
10-28-12, 11:03 PM
Yeah me too. Such a troublemaker :duck:

I think they should have Carbon Motors make the Presidential limo. The new one works functionally, I'm sure, but it looks like the morbidly obese bastard love child of a DTS and an Escalade. NOT GOOD. :nono:

Kev
10-29-12, 10:24 AM
Hey, at least it doesn't look like the Pope-Mobubble!

:coffee: