: 81 deville: no battery charge but "no charge" light didn't came on

Adrian12
05-24-11, 04:07 AM
hi friends :)

i've a strange problem.

i drove my cad about 300 km with my optima yellow top battery and didn't recognize that my alternator is not charging.

i drove sometimes with lights and with high beams on at night i thaught "boah damn they are everything but not bright, low beams are better", radio, ac and everything on.

then car goes out and battery has enough voltage for ignition on, radio on and every function, but starter didn't do anything.

today i got a used but i hope good battery for low bucks and will try it out, the one i've in the car has only 20.000 km run so i don't understand how it could be bad!?

but the most important problem for me is: WHY DIDN'T CAME THE "NO CHARGE" light on.

with engine off and ignition on the light is on - so the bulp works, does this mean that the wire to the double-connector at the alternator works?
3 wires:
the big red one directly to the battery (no charge voltage directly at alternator, so wire shouldn't be the problem)
then 2 thin black wires on a double connector (one should go to the bulp i think, and the other goes directly to the battery)

is this ok?
what could be my problem, and how can i fix the problem with the not coming up "no charge" light

thanks for all your help :)

adrian

sven914
05-24-11, 09:37 AM
The no charge light does not always come on when the battery isn't being charged and if the bulb for the NO CHARGE lamp is burned out, the alternator will not charge the battery.

Adrian12
05-24-11, 10:24 AM
The no charge light does not always come on when the battery isn't being charged and if the bulb for the NO CHARGE lamp is burned out, the alternator will not charge the battery.

Hi
the bulp is OK, it works with ignition on...

so the wire to the alternator connector should be ok in my opinion.

but so i dont know why it didn't come on when alternator doesn't charge

jayoldschool
05-24-11, 10:31 AM
The alternator is likely working fine. The problem is probably a dead battery. Optimas don't like to be discharged. They are really bad for cars that sit for awhile.

Adrian12
05-24-11, 11:05 AM
The alternator is likely working fine. The problem is probably a dead battery. Optimas don't like to be discharged. They are really bad for cars that sit for awhile.

same problem was with a new banner battery too, so it must be alternator or wiring, but i the problem is the warning lamp.. it should work and i dont know what to check out and fix

sven914
05-24-11, 11:27 AM
Does the light come on at bulb check?

Adrian12
05-24-11, 01:40 PM
Does the light come on at bulb check?

yeah it does

now i put in an original alternator that was in an 80s cad with 368. my alternator seems to be from an other car but it is a delco part.

with original alternator bulb is on all time, so "no charge" is on... i tried with other battery, but it is still on. 2 bad alternators?

horrible, but i think i would rebuilt the original one :)

cadillac_al
05-25-11, 07:45 AM
Check the output of the alternator with a multi meter; it's either putting out or it isn't. In my experience if the charge light is off it is usually working fine.

Adrian12
05-29-11, 12:15 PM
hi again

on friday evening i got the rebuilt alternator: some diodes and bearings were bad.

i put it in and following:
ignition off -> no charge light is off (no 12 V on the bulp)
ignition on -> no charge light is on (bult test)
engine running -> no charge light is off

but there is only battery voltage? not 13-14 V of the alternator...
i tested the big red wire from battery to alternator and it is +12 V
then there is a 2-wire-connector on the alternator, one is directly +12 V (at the same point at alternator like the big red one) and has +12 V.
the other wire goes to the bulp and has with ignition on something about 1,5 - 1,8 V

is this correct? shouldnt be there much more voltage? this wire goes to the bulp, from the bulp to the ignition switch and then to the fusible link and starter....

could there be my problem? how does the wire work for put on the no charge light when alternator is bad?

or did the company a mistake on rebuilding my alternator?

thank a lot for all hints and help :)

adrian

Adrian12
05-31-11, 02:26 AM
sooooo

yesterday i was at the alternator repair shop. they tested my alternator and it is top. 14 volt and nearly 100 ampere (85 alternator).

he couldn't tell me about the problem in my car and i don't know too. service manual doesn't give some hints.....

hope someone can help me

Adrian12
05-31-11, 12:04 PM
soooo update

i got 5 hours to check all wires again and do other wires in it and so on...
but the problem is like this:
with connected battery i get around 12.5 V and with engine running and battery disconnected i get 14 V.

so i put out the optima yellow top battery and put in a banner battery and there is the same failure!?!?!?!?

2 bad batteries? but why can i start again again and again with these 2 batteries without getting them died?

or what could be the problem?

thanks a lot

Adrian12
06-01-11, 02:45 PM
I got a solution. I loose the red cable coming from alternator going to battery at battery side and put it short an often ont battery plus. Cable was sparkling and suddenly volt meter reada 14.4 V.i tried some starts and alternator works perfectly. I don't know why and what it was but it works.

Thanks a lot for all your help and ideas

Wheelman322
06-01-11, 05:41 PM

Absolutely...I bought 2 of them only to have them die & left in an unchargeable state after short stays @ shops.