: Guess what! Another wheel clicking thread!

King335i
05-23-11, 11:41 PM
Sorry to populate every 70 or so threads with a thread of my own about this damned wheel clicking issue, but I think this is such a stupid problem for a car of this caliber to have. The CTS-V is near automotive perfection, but these tacky issues keep arising like isolator rattle, squeaky (and leaky) Ultraview sunroofs, and the infamous clicking wheels.

Now, I know some people have had the issue resolved, and others don't seem to mind it. But we do have a voice here as a compendium of Cadillac owners, and this issue of wheel clicking, while it may seem minor to some, is nonetheless a quality control issue which has yet to be resolved to most customer's satisfaction.

/rant

So, any news on a possible fix for this issue?

baabootoo
05-23-11, 11:55 PM
I just wish someone lived near me so I could diagnose it!

dvandentop
05-24-11, 12:15 AM
i still have it on my factory 09 wheels and now also with my 11 black diamond edition wheels so no improvement there

EricVonHa
05-24-11, 12:41 AM
Everyone, the lug-bolt wheel torque is 140lb/ft. Yes, you read this correctly. 140lb/ft.

If you're going to do this yourself ; gradually tighten the lugs in a star pattern making 2-3 passes in order to achieve the desired torque.

Hope this helps.

cadillacandalambo
05-24-11, 03:30 AM
lmfao, my 11 coupe does the same thing when i fully turn the wheels left or right, easy fix = turn up the radio lol lol

King335i
05-24-11, 05:44 AM
lmfao, my 11 coupe does the same thing when i fully turn the wheels left or right, easy fix = turn up the radio lol lol

Call me vain, but I am embarrassed that my $70K+ luxury sports rocket even emits a sound like that. One has to wonder at what point GM just accepts that as passable quality..

Domsz06
05-24-11, 06:43 AM
Never had the problem so guess I can't help here. My car is a rocket and no noises. Guess it might bother me, but I doubt it. Even the 6 figure cars i have driven have issues. Idk. Guess I can't feel the pain cuz I have never heard it.....

cbloveday
05-24-11, 07:50 AM
Nothing yet with 24,000 miles. I torque too 158 ft lbs in star pattern.

Kadonny
05-24-11, 08:28 AM
I guess I just don't get it. If you follow the TSB instructions to the tee, the clicking is gone.

I swap summer/winter rims twice a year, both are stock wheels. I had the clicking when the car was new. Now, the dealer performs the TSB each time I swap wheels and the car has been quiet as a church mouse since.

4DR_ZR1
05-24-11, 09:03 AM
Everyone, the lug-bolt wheel torque is 140lb/ft. Yes, you read this correctly. 140lb/ft.

If you're going to do this yourself ; gradually tighten the lugs in a star pattern making 2-3 passes in order to achieve the desired torque.

Hope this helps.
^^^ What he said.

This issue always confuses me. Being OCD about my V, I'm always pulling the wheels to clean them.
And the dealer managed to screw up 2 right side wheels and had to replace them, so I have a mix of the old and new style wheels on the front.

But throughout all the tire and wheel replacements or normal cleaning, I have never had a clicking wheel in 2 yrs. But... I firmly believe that the wheels must be evenly drawn up against the rotor by hand and then progressively torqued down, without the weight of the car. I do the 158 ft lbs, but never had a problem at 140.

ewill3rd
05-24-11, 09:17 AM
I had a pretty good record of fixing these, sadly I don't work on them anymore.
I used to disassemble the brakes and clean the rotor mounting faces and the hubs, put a thin layer of anti-sieze compound on the mating surfaces and reassemble everything torquing the lug nuts to 140 lb. ft.
GM says that you need only clean the outside of the rotor hats and the wheel with alcohol and re-torque the lugs... EVERY OIL CHANGE.
They have actually added time to the oil change operation to submit for warranty claims to get paid for this procedure.

Some of the ones I did may be clicking again but you can ask around on the forum. I know I fixed several for members.

e6t
05-24-11, 11:23 AM
THE ONLY REAL FIX IS TO CHANGE THE HUBS. From GM, this will be happening when new assemblies are ready... I believe they will be two-piece brembos and will be available to those that have the clicking issue issue.

yacht lights
05-24-11, 12:08 PM
^ thats what my dealer has on order on my wagon. My boy has the 4 door with the same problem

Domsz06
05-24-11, 02:24 PM
i to have taken mine off many times, put different wheels on, put z06 wheels on and then put mine back on. No clicking. I do like others have and torque to 156, no issues. Guess I'm just lucky.

Domsz06
05-24-11, 02:33 PM
Sorry to populate every 70 or so threads with a thread of my own about this damned wheel clicking issue, but I think this is such a stupid problem for a car of this caliber to have. The CTS-V is near automotive perfection, but these tacky issues keep arising like isolator rattle, squeaky (and leaky) Ultraview sunroofs, and the infamous clicking wheels.

Now, I know some people have had the issue resolved, and others don't seem to mind it. But we do have a voice here as a compendium of Cadillac owners, and this issue of wheel clicking, while it may seem minor to some, is nonetheless a quality control issue which has yet to be resolved to most customer's satisfaction.

/rant

So, any news on a possible fix for this issue?

I think you need to take a step back and look at it from GM's perspective. They have a bad to the bone product but there are a few things (minor) that will bug people. They go ahead and send the car out, make money and have to take care of a few people who have these issues, or fix things for them to keep em happy, but for the whole they are making an AWESOME product and majority love it.

Have you ever seen fight club? You know where Ed Norton says and talks about how a recall is decided? I look at it from that perspective. They can sit and make a KILLING on us, selling this car and help their company get back into the black. Yeah there are gonna be some issues, what company does't have em, and also there will be some pissed off people that jump ship. You know what? There are also those people that go get pissed off on other forums. Are you a member of any other forums? I'm on a couple BMW sights since I almost bought an M3, and let me tell you what there are just as many small issues on one off cars there as there are here. They get fed up and leave bmw and come to caddy, or MB, or Lexus. It's one big circle.

Same thing happens in companies, people retire, new hires get jobs and some get fed up with their boss and quit. The big thing here is having a Good dealer take care of you and ease the pain. I know it really sucks King that your wheels click, have you exhausted all possibilities? tried the cleaning, torquing, lubing etc? and by that I mean actually doing it? I'm sure your dealer is confident, but do it yourself and know it's done right. My rotors were rusting, so I painted them to match the rest of my rims, torqued it all down and still no squeek... Like I said maybe Im just lucky.

Hope you get your's fixed, and i was just standing on my soap box. I'm stepping down now.

TTYL

King335i
05-26-11, 12:32 AM
Well, nobody's arguing that the product isn't awesome, it is. But that doesn't change the fact that myself, and many others are unhappy with the "fix" to this problem. I know the clicking thing is merely a noise, but it's not a minor problem. It sounds cheap and tacky, and smacks of poor engineering; nothing on a Cadillac should fit that description.

I am a member on NAGTROC, MBWorld, E90POST, 6MT, JeepGarage, and here. So, in other words, I have seen the problems you're referring to. Hell, I had my 335i when BMW decided to drop the nightmare that is progman 29.2 on us, basically killing all the alluring aspects of the N54. And sure people do get fed up and leave, but I'll tell you one thing, I never had such a crappy, annoying problem with my 335i.

I thank you for your compassion, thankfully I do have a fairly competent dealer that has tried to no avail to help me with this issue. They performed the TSB twice, and a friend of mine who owns a BMW shop tried his hand at fixing the problem as well by doing pretty much what the TSB states. Maybe I have bad luck, maybe you have good luck, who knows. No need to step down from your soap box though, all the points you made were valid. However, I still fail to see how any of it rectifies the situation that I, and others, find ourselves in. Personally I cringe every time I hear that noise, it makes me shudder and even more so it almost makes me regret in some small way, just for a split-second, having bought the car. Without the clicking, this car would be automotive zen.

Domsz06
05-26-11, 08:15 AM
I had a pretty good record of fixing these, sadly I don't work on them anymore.
I used to disassemble the brakes and clean the rotor mounting faces and the hubs, put a thin layer of anti-sieze compound on the mating surfaces and reassemble everything torquing the lug nuts to 140 lb. ft.
GM says that you need only clean the outside of the rotor hats and the wheel with alcohol and re-torque the lugs... EVERY OIL CHANGE.
They have actually added time to the oil change operation to submit for warranty claims to get paid for this procedure.

Some of the ones I did may be clicking again but you can ask around on the forum. I know I fixed several for members.

King335i,

Have you tried this way?

I wish I could hear one to hear what they sound like, but no one around TX that I know of has this issue....