: Leveling compressor

Daz77
05-23-11, 11:02 PM
My 95 Fleet compressor comes on every 5 minutes for 3-5 seconds when the car is off. Could this be the shocks or the compressor??? Will this type of compressor action kill my battery in the long run???

HUF
05-23-11, 11:13 PM
Do you mean the ignition is OFF or the engine is OFF? The compressor should not run with ignition OFF. You probably have a massive air leak. There are lines attached to the struts. You can see them without removing the rear wheels. Check the connection, spray some water.

csbuckn
05-24-11, 12:16 AM
I know the compressor has power with the ignition off. Thought I heard someone say it can run at anytime, even without the key in but I dont know if anyone here has seen theirs on with ignition off.

HUF
05-24-11, 12:41 AM
^ I think if it were the case I would hear compressor running without ignition ON at least once in 11 years of owning Cadillacs! lol

csbuckn
05-24-11, 01:20 AM
Yea, me neither. Think a relay or something is stuck?

HUF
05-24-11, 01:22 AM
Yea, me neither. Think a relay or something is stuck?
I do not know. Let the OP clarify the situation first.

brougham
05-24-11, 06:19 PM
The compressor shouldn't run at all with the ignition off. Whatever is wrong with it could also be making it run every few minutes, or it really could be a leak. I wouldn't assume it's a leak until the first part is sorted out.

Daz77
05-25-11, 12:52 AM
Yes, the car is completely off and the compressor lifts the car about 1". I measure the rear of the car last night and it was 19 1/2 inches from the ground. I stood on the rear bumper with the car completely off, the rear when down about a inch, then the compressor raised back up. Where is the fuse located???

HUF
05-25-11, 12:56 AM
There should be some fuses in the glove box. In some cases the same fuse serves several circuits, so pay attention.

csbuckn
05-25-11, 05:43 PM
Or unplug the compressor.

CadillacPimpinNOLA
05-25-11, 06:31 PM
my compressor on my 95 ran with the ignition off. if you sat on the rear bumper while talking to someone. it would raise it back up...i just pulled the fuse under the hood since i dont use it anymore

Cadillacboy
05-26-11, 12:35 PM
When I sit in the car I hear a sound coming from the back , it's like a whirrrriiing sound without the key in the ignition . It does happen sporadically lol

I was told I needed rear shocks , I think bad rear shocks causing the compresson on

Daz77
05-26-11, 09:37 PM
Tomorrow morning I'll be installing 2" coil spring spacers on the rear. That should take some stress off the shocks. Hopefully... I'll let yall know how it turns out.

jayoldschool
05-26-11, 09:42 PM
The compressor works with the ignition off. This is normal. For the compressor to run frequently, you have a slow leak. To run constantly (until shutdown occurs) it would be a large leak in the system. Spray your connections, then your lines, with soapy water and you will find your problem.

HUF
05-26-11, 11:44 PM
When I sit in the car I hear a sound coming from the back , it's like a whirrrriiing sound without the key in the ignition . It does happen sporadically lol

I was told I needed rear shocks , I think bad rear shocks causing the compresson onAll you might need is a small o-ring which is used in connection of air line to the shock. Just spray some water at the connection, you do not even have to remove the wheel to see whether that connection leaks air.

Cadillacboy
05-27-11, 10:13 AM
All you might need is a small o-ring which is used in connection of air line to the shock. Just spray some water at the connection, you do not even have to remove the wheel to see whether that connection leaks air.

Thanks , I will give it a try

jay's input was valuable as well . I didn't know if the compressor worked with the ignition off and this was normal

brougham
05-27-11, 06:15 PM
Thanks , I will give it a try

jay's input was valuable as well . I didn't know if the compressor worked with the ignition off and this was normal

That's something that must depend on body styles because 1991 doesn't do it and front wheel drive 1994s don't but earlier front wheel drive ones do too.

Daz77
05-28-11, 10:47 AM
Well, I installed the coil spring spacers yesterday and it wasn't that hard to install. I had a couple of my partners help me out and it took about an hour. The fleetwood is leveled now and ride exactly the same "Like a Cadillac". The 1.5" spacers took alot of pressure off the shocks and the shocks does not need to pumped up because most of the rear is being supported by the coil spring now instead of the shock trying to hold the rear up.

brougham
05-28-11, 02:03 PM
The springs are already supposed to support the car. The shocks are only there to maintain the height with a load in the car.