: Digital dash replacement

Broughamadrosis
10-12-04, 09:41 PM
I just picked up a 1990 Brougham - the odometer readout works fine for a while, and then it starts flashing all sorts of weird numbers, and then displays "Error", and then a minute later, it's back to normal.
The speedo and trip-odo work fine.

1st question - is it the display that's gone bad, or something else?

2nd - If I replace the display unit with a used one, will it show the correct mileage? - or the mileage that was on the used unit? (I've got a good-used one, but it's from a car with a bunch of miles)

Has anyone dealt with this issue before?

brougham
10-13-04, 12:10 PM
It's the digital dash part that's bad. Mine does that too but I most of the time I also can't see the trip meter. It's supposed to be a normal problem with them.

I don't know if the odometer stays with the dash or not. When I was calling places last year to try to get it fixed someone told me there were supposed to be 2 different kinds and one of them the milage was in the dash and with another one it stayed with the car but I don't know if that's true or not. Try changing it and see! :)

Barry Clark
10-14-04, 09:38 PM
haha. Mine does that. I find it funny until the thing dims. I will be sending mine to Atlanta Speedometer to have it repaired.

Adam
10-14-04, 10:20 PM
if you do have to replace it (which you probably will) see if you can get a different color instead of that ugly green. oh and let me know if you can.

Broughamadrosis
10-14-04, 10:33 PM
Did Atlanta Speedometer quote a cost to repair?
I found a place in Canada that will do it for $150.00 (plus shipping)

From what I've read, the mileage is recorded on a chip inside the cluster...

Barry Clark
10-14-04, 11:25 PM
Did Atlanta Speedometer quote a cost to repair?
I found a place in Canada that will do it for $150.00 (plus shipping)

From what I've read, the mileage is recorded on a chip inside the cluster...Nope. Just word of mouth. I hear the common cost of repair is about $100 to $150 USD.

brougham
10-15-04, 12:15 AM
if you do have to replace it (which you probably will) see if you can get a different color instead of that ugly green. oh and let me know if you can.

I like the green numbers. Any other colour would look strange.

Is that place in Canada the one that's a sponsor here?

Broughamadrosis
10-15-04, 10:02 AM
By gosh, it IS the same place... didn't even notice, just did a Google search and found it...

dsgb
10-16-04, 09:59 PM
I am currently putttin a digi instrument cluster from a 91 fleetwood brougham into my 83.Does anybody know how to get it to read the speed.

Barry Clark
10-16-04, 11:10 PM
I am currently putttin a digi instrument cluster from a 91 fleetwood brougham into my 83.Does anybody know how to get it to read the speed.Wow. If it doesn't work for you, just let me know. I might be interested in taking it off of your hands.