: Will a cam put me at 600 RWHP?

whytediamond
05-23-11, 09:22 PM
Hey all, I have been toying with the idea of adding a cam and injectors to my current set up of upper pulley, cat back exhaust, partial CAI with airbox mod & K&N and ported snout. Im 562RWHP now, u think a cam and injectors will put me at 600? And which cam, GT9 or LS9 and what size injector? Thanks. I thought I was done after the above mods but......well u guys know the deal...lol.

wait4me
05-23-11, 09:37 PM
We have a cam that will get you to 600 no problem. Cam, titanium retainers, springs good to 670 lift, locks, seals, sprocket, ls3 upgraded tensioner, and injectors would cost $1105 for everything. It would be a custom cam to your specs/other mods you have done.

Injectors would be 1000cc or close depending on your goals.

You need the sprocket and timing chain tensioner upgrade it is mandatory as the stock ones break really easy.

If you want all that installed at our shop it is only $800 bucks with tuning. ;)

whytediamond
05-23-11, 09:49 PM
We have a cam that will get you to 600 no problem. Cam, titanium retainers, springs good to 670 lift, locks, seals, sprocket, ls3 upgraded tensioner, and injectors would cost $1105 for everything. It would be a custom cam to your specs/other mods you have done.

You need the sprocket and timing chain tensioner upgrade it is mandatory as the stock ones break really easy.

If you want all that installed at our shop it is only $800 bucks with tuning. ;)

Thats not too bad, $1100.00 for all. Unfortunately im too far from you for the install but I have a shop here that ive been dealing with. That sounds like a worth while mod, will it be noticeable at idle or still sound like stock? Also is this better for my set up rather than adding just heads or long tube headers? I don't plan on changing the bottom end and still want a reliable motor that wont blow up due to it being over stressed. Thanks. Oh and 1000cc is how many pound injectors?

DrumStix
05-23-11, 10:26 PM
Do you want a smooth idle or chop? A lot of lift is not necessary, you will just stress the crap out of the valve train. Neither is a lot of split as that will just create emissions, decrease engine vacuum, mileage and drivibility. If you are only going with a street setup you should not push the cam specs to the moon in our opinion. There are so many other ways to get there rather than change the street manners of your Cadillac right off the bat. If you want to push it to the limits, sure, but it sounds like you just want 600 RWHP.
A full New Era CAI will give you another 20 and a simple little $96 OEM LS9 cam will give you you +30 or so. Broken timing chain tensioners will not an issue and you can dependably take you car on trips across the Yukon. I make 650 with this setup and a ported blower.

whytediamond
05-23-11, 10:35 PM
Do you want a smooth idle or chop? A lot of lift is not necessary, you will just stress the crap out of the valve train. Neither is a lot of split as that will just create emissions, decrease engine vacuum, mileage and drivibility. If you are only going with a street setup you should not push the cam specs to the moon in our opinion. There are so many other ways to get there rather than change the street manners of your Cadillac right off the bat. If you want to push it to the limits, sure, but it sounds like you just want 600 RWHP.
A full New Era CAI will give you another 20 and a simple little $96 OEM LS9 cam will give you you +30 or so. Broken timing chain tensioners will not an issue and you can dependably take you car on trips across the Yukon. I make 650 with this setup and a ported blower.

Yes, I do not want more than 600 RWHP as I dont want to stress the motor too much. Although I like the sound of the chopy idle, I think I would prefer a smooth one. So 30 RWHP for the cam, that sounds about perfect, do I need springs, rockers and retainers ETC with this cam as well? What about injectors...my tuner said I was 97% maxed out now, is it 62lb i need? feel free to PM a price. Thanks.

DrumStix
05-23-11, 11:39 PM
Yes, I do not want more than 600 RWHP as I dont want to stress the motor too much. Although I like the sound of the chopy idle, I think I would prefer a smooth one. So 30 RWHP for the cam, that sounds about perfect, do I need springs, rockers and retainers ETC with this cam as well? What about injectors...my tuner said I was 97% maxed out now, is it 62lb i need? feel free to PM a price. Thanks.

Sure, I'll shoot you a PM.

KD Innovations

aj660
05-23-11, 11:45 PM
sounds good...

Razorecko
05-24-11, 02:51 AM
Jesse, when did you start replacing time chain tensioners ?

cbloveday
05-24-11, 08:01 AM
Raz, I know mine was broken and he installed a tensioner that is on the LS9.

We saw this immediately upon removing the cover.

He has seen more and more motors with the tensioner broken. The oem is a flimsy plastic on our cars

jamesdean65
05-24-11, 08:06 AM
wish u were on east coast.....

wait4me
05-24-11, 09:47 AM
Out of 200 plus cam installs we have done here at the shop on THESE ENGINES, i have personally seen 17 broken timing chain tensioners.. That is why i replace them. It is cheap and easy to put on so i just do it for everyone.

The cam to hit your goal would sound stock, It is just a little quicker ramping rate and 20 more lift than the Zr1 cam..

Razorecko
05-24-11, 11:20 AM
Out of 200 plus cam installs we have done here at the shop on THESE ENGINES, i have personally seen 17 broken timing chain tensioners.. That is why i replace them. It is cheap and easy to put on so i just do it for everyone.

The cam to hit your goal would sound stock, It is just a little quicker ramping rate and 20 more lift than the Zr1 cam..

k, gotcha. So its something you replace at every cam install :thumbsup: