: Gas mileage

Ben777
05-23-11, 05:25 PM
Hey everyone, I got an 2005 STS N*8, the gas mileage I was told I would get would be around 26 on the highway, I was getting 17mpg, so I changed the air filter and plugs when I first got the car, and started using the Cruise control religiously and now I am getting 20 mpg, 300 miles to a full tank. But still seems like I could be getting more. Any tips to help. I read somewhere about an "in line fuel filter" Does this help? What about removing the resonator in the exhuast, that would help the exhaust flow a lot better. Any tips I would appreciate, for the gas MPG I am getting I should have just went with the CTS-V like I wanted haha.

Ben

1BadCadSTS
05-23-11, 06:22 PM
I have a Corsa and Volant and on a 600 mile road trip I netted 21 MPG all highway. I also have the V8 AWD. This isnt a Honda and thus I dont expect Honda fuel economy.

dkozloski
05-23-11, 06:47 PM
You'll get 26 MPG if you drive 55MPH and below. If you get right foot heavy you can expect to pay the piper.

malatu
05-23-11, 07:00 PM
Hey everyone, I got an 2005 STS N*8, the gas mileage I was told I would get would be around 26 on the highway, I was getting 17mpg, so I changed the air filter and plugs when I first got the car, and started using the Cruise control religiously and now I am getting 20 mpg, 300 miles to a full tank. But still seems like I could be getting more. Any tips to help. I read somewhere about an "in line fuel filter" Does this help? What about removing the resonator in the exhuast, that would help the exhaust flow a lot better. Any tips I would appreciate, for the gas MPG I am getting I should have just went with the CTS-V like I wanted haha.

Ben

I'm assuming you are not simply using 300 gallons to a tank to calculate your fuel mileage. That isn't accurate. Use the formula....... exact miles driven divided by exact gallons used. You can perform this with one fill up or multiple fill-ups.

EChas3
05-23-11, 09:56 PM
You were given inaccurate information but a used STS is still a great value. $1,000 buys a lot of gas.

Relax and enjoy a great performing luxury car,

Ben777
05-24-11, 11:29 AM
haha yeah I got around 300 miles to the last tank, I reset the trip odometer when I fill up and then divide that number by how many gallons I put in, and yes I was going about 55-63mph on the freeway. Whats frustrating is I was told when I bought the car it would avg 26 mpg on the freeway, def aint happening. Secondly, a lady I work with has a 96 Deville with the V8 and she averages 26 mpg and that car got 249k on it, mine has 69k lol And lastly, my 05 GTO got better gas mileage with a 6.0 in it, I just dont get it...HOWEVER, I will enjoy the ride, its def comfortable and I like it, thats one reason I want the CTS-V, that LS engine and the suspension has to be 10x better than the GTO's, cause it sucked lol....I got another question, when I have the auto lights on my bright lights will turn on and off randomly, has this happened to anyone else? I appreciate your help!
Ben

1BadCadSTS
05-24-11, 11:35 AM
Its called Intellibeam, its auto high beam system on cars with TT6 HID headlamps. You can shut it off by holding the button on the mirror closest to the drivers side for 5 seconds, a double flash will confirm shut off.

Ben777
05-24-11, 11:46 AM
SWEET!!!!! Can I do this during the day? Or does it have to be at night?

1BadCadSTS
05-24-11, 11:57 AM
Anytime, just press the button and hold should flash twice to indicate off, to re-enable press down until 1 flash.

Personally I think they work very well and have it enabled on my car.

Ben777
05-24-11, 12:09 PM
Cool, my problem is I will be driving on a main road at night that is well lit and my brights start going on, then the other drivers start flashing their brights at me haha, its just irritating thats all lol

EChas3
05-24-11, 07:43 PM
I don't recall having to hold the button of seeing the blink. I'll do some checking...

mckellyb
05-24-11, 08:14 PM
While I'm on my first tank, I can see I'm going to have to be very aware of my right foot to stay much above 22 MPG in a 20% city/80% highway commute here in N. Texas.

Gawd...the N* sounds so freakin' good....

EChas3
05-24-11, 08:51 PM
Above 2,000 RPM, a N* starts to breathe, and sucks the gas!

CTBB
05-24-11, 09:07 PM
You both may want to check your option list for performance axle ratios of 3.23 (GU5) or 3.42 (GU6), both of which will cost you at the pump. They can also get you in trouble at the stop-light GP, as the car JUMPS!!! I too was disappointed at the MPG, but have gotten used to driving the car and enjoy that little extra. I have the 3.23 ratio with limited slip (G80) and regularly pull about 21mpg at 75mpg for travel. Around town, I'd rather not discuss it.

Glenn

chazglenn3
05-24-11, 10:15 PM
Yeah, I have the 3.23 posi in my car too. Love it, but I just located a car for sale near me that I must take for a test drive. It is a RWD N* 1SG with ACC/HUD and the 3.42 posi!

mckellyb
05-24-11, 11:28 PM
In retrospect, I'm glad I have the 3.23 instead of the 3.42. I'm not going to notice the extra oomph off the line, but I will notice low MPG tank-after-tank. Even if it's only a couple of MPG, over 150K miles, it has a significant impact on your wallet.

Oh, and I'll be at the tire store less-often...maybe. Must. Keep. Traction. Control. "ON".

chazglenn3
05-25-11, 12:17 PM
I haven't had time to go drive the 3.42 car yet. I just want to see if I can feel the difference.

bbjorklund99
05-25-11, 12:26 PM
I have the 3.42 in my 06 STS V6. It has good acceleration and low end torque but the mileage is not quite as good as it could be.

chazglenn3
05-25-11, 03:55 PM
The car I want to drive is a Northstar.

EChas3
05-25-11, 08:59 PM
^^^^ Yeah that!

Ben777
05-26-11, 10:28 AM
Its called Intellibeam, its auto high beam system on cars with TT6 HID headlamps. You can shut it off by holding the button on the mirror closest to the drivers side for 5 seconds, a double flash will confirm shut off.

I did the trick to turn off the auto brights, it worked, thanks for the help!...now as for the engine, I should have went with the V6, the N*8 is nice, but it doesnt have nothing on the LS2 6.0 my GTO had, that thing had some balls!! I miss that power. But I am going to make this thing work, tinker with the induction and exhaust and see if I can pull a few more MPG's out this thing.

mhamilton
05-27-11, 12:44 PM
I still can't believe how bad the economy is in these RWD N* models. I would have bet anything with the VVT they could do better, but something else is clearly at play. Maybe aerodynamics? The old FWD N* with 3.72 final drive could get 23-24 mpg hwy. I just did 300 miles in my 3.11 geared N* LD8 and got 29 mpg. And that was cruise set to 75 mph, not drafting some truck at 45 mph.

Do the RWD models have an engine driven fan or electric (or both?)?

chazglenn3
05-27-11, 12:52 PM
The cars with performance packages (1SC, 1SF and 1SG) have engine driven and electric cooling fans. Cars without any of these packages have electric fans only.