: Right Side CAT BAD

deucedude2003
05-23-11, 09:52 AM
Hey everyone,
My 2006 STS4 with the V-6 92000 miles had the check engine light come on (P0420 code) and the right hand catalytic converter began a nasty rattle, loose inside.
Where is a good and cheap place to buy the right hand conv. so I can replace it ASAP ???
Thanks!!!

1BadCadSTS
05-23-11, 09:59 AM
Isnt emissions warranty (pcm and cats) good for 8 years 80k?
Should be covered....

EDIT nvm noticed the 92k part, sorry. Best bet would be gmpartsdirect, lindsay cadillac, or rippy.

deucedude2003
05-23-11, 10:11 AM
If anyone can supply the part # that would be a big help too!
Thanks!

chazglenn3
05-23-11, 03:18 PM
There was an extension on the cat warranty to 200K miles. Have the dealer check your VIN.

1BadCadSTS
05-23-11, 03:57 PM
Only for V8s not for V6s

deucedude2003
05-23-11, 07:02 PM
Only for V8s not for V6s

Yeah,
I didn't see anything for the V6, but I'm still open for ideas?
Anyone?
Thanks!

chazglenn3
05-23-11, 08:55 PM
Well, that sucks...sorry.

deucedude2003
05-24-11, 07:51 AM
Thanks!
After some searching, it looks to be in the low 400$ range; time to bite the bullet...
On the plus side, it doesn't look to bad to change out.
Thanks again!

Ben777
05-26-11, 10:46 AM
Are the Cats on the N* bolted on or welded? Just curious. Also, has anyone hollowed there catsconv out?

Maximln
05-26-11, 01:22 PM
There was an extension on the cat warranty to 200K miles. Have the dealer check your VIN.

I have not heard of this. Why & when did this happen and also what models are affected?

Thanks,

Max

chazglenn3
05-26-11, 01:40 PM
The extension applies to 2004-2005 Cadillac SRX V8's and 2005 Cadillac STS V8 only. This is the owner letter text...

Owner Letter

October 2010

Dear General Motors Customer:

As the owner of a 2004-2005 model year Cadillac SRX or a 2005 model year Cadillac STS vehicle, equipped with a 4.6L engine, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2004-2005 model year Cadillac SRX and 2005 model year Cadillac STS vehicles, equipped with a 4.6L engine, may have a condition where the Check Engine light may illuminate, there may be a lack of engine power, or there may be an underbody noise due to the failure of the catalytic converter.

Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the catalytic converter assemblies. If this condition occurs on your 2004-2005 model year Cadillac SRX or 2005 model year Cadillac STS vehicle, equipped with a 4.6L engine, within 12 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 200,000 miles (320,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge . Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

What You Should Do: Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to contact your GM dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement: The enclosed form explains what reimbursement is available and how to request reimbursement if you have paid for repairs for the special coverage condition. Your request for reimbursement, including the information and documents mentioned on the enclosed form, must be received by GM by October 31, 2011.

If you have any questions or need any assistance to better understand related repairs, please contact your dealer. If you have questions related to a potential reimbursement, please contact the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.

1BadCadSTS
05-26-11, 02:01 PM
The cats are part of the exhaust manifold

Maximln
05-26-11, 02:50 PM
Thank you! I'm an 06 so I guess it doesn't affect me!

Max

The extension applies to 2004-2005 Cadillac SRX V8's and 2005 Cadillac STS V8 only. This is the owner letter text...

Owner Letter

October 2010

Dear General Motors Customer:

As the owner of a 2004-2005 model year Cadillac SRX or a 2005 model year Cadillac STS vehicle, equipped with a 4.6L engine, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2004-2005 model year Cadillac SRX and 2005 model year Cadillac STS vehicles, equipped with a 4.6L engine, may have a condition where the Check Engine light may illuminate, there may be a lack of engine power, or there may be an underbody noise due to the failure of the catalytic converter.

Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the catalytic converter assemblies. If this condition occurs on your 2004-2005 model year Cadillac SRX or 2005 model year Cadillac STS vehicle, equipped with a 4.6L engine, within 12 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 200,000 miles (320,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge . Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

What You Should Do: Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to contact your GM dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement: The enclosed form explains what reimbursement is available and how to request reimbursement if you have paid for repairs for the special coverage condition. Your request for reimbursement, including the information and documents mentioned on the enclosed form, must be received by GM by October 31, 2011.

If you have any questions or need any assistance to better understand related repairs, please contact your dealer. If you have questions related to a potential reimbursement, please contact the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.

RippyPartsDept
05-26-11, 03:17 PM
RH CAT CONV
List Price: $339.47
Forum Discount: $297.04

while i'll gladly sell you one (i've got three in stock) these have such little markup in them that the discount isn't really all that much, so you might as well go get one from your local dealer if you plan on getting an OEM