: Timesert - reg northstar sert kit or Big-sert?

Loose screw
10-12-04, 08:12 PM
I am going through my first and maybe only Northstar a 94 Concours with 147k miles (it spun a bearing -low oil, - the fools) but who nows what the future will bring. I can't find a used Timesert kit for sale and in talking with the company they also have a BIG-SERT. The kit repairs both the older northstar and the 2000 and newer head bolt threads and designed for repairing previously attempted thread repair that failed again.

All of my threads are still good but from what I have read - it is only a matter of time and reusing them will certainly weaken them and failure is very likely.

So which kit(s) do I need to I spend my lunch money on. Wouldn't the big-sert lock into stronger metal and repair ANY year northstar or condition (previously attempted repaire or not engine)? Why not just jump to the larger big-sert kit size?

Also do I really need to do the main bearing threads too? How often you they fail? Please someone address this question. It's a seperate kit and not cheep.

No lunch for me for a long while :crying:

Northstar first repair Time-sert kit $308.
Northstar second repair Big-sert kit $336.
Northstar main bearing Time-sert kit $275.

sts96
10-12-04, 08:56 PM
Mine was a first time repair so i used the regular kit. I wanted to leave myself a next step just in case of a problem. the serts are very strong. If you are doing bearings you will know if you need a repair there when you set the bearing bolts.
LOL sts96

haymaker
10-12-04, 09:35 PM
At $308.00 for the standard time-sert kit you won’t be missing nearly as many lunches as I did. I paid $470.00 for the standard kit about two months ago. I was quoted that price most places and better than $500.00 on the west coast.
Having completed the installation of the time-serts on my ’97 SLS using the standard kit I know that the kit worked fine. Not having used the big-sert kit I don’t have an opinion.
I nearly went the route of the big-sert kit but figured I would be giving up my ace in the hole. In other words if I made a mistake on one of the holes and the insert did not hold I could always go to the big-sert to fix the fix. After installing all twenty inserts I do believe it is possible to have a problem in at least one hole. I used a 10 amp ˝” drill, a lot of power. I toke a lot of care with each hole. You only drill a little more than 1” (the old threads) of material down near the bottom of the hole. I removed the drill and cleared the hole of shavings at least three times per hole. I think if you just blasted full power, full speed ahead and drilled the hole in one fast move and never removed the shavings the hole could end up being too large or a little out of round. No matter which case the insert may not hold during the head bolt installation. I had concern for that as a possible problem. Like I said if that had been a problem there would have been a fix (big-sert).
At to your existing threads still being good in the block, I thought many of mine were until I tried to install the plate fixture bolts that came with the kit. The bolts wouldn’t run down. Some wouldn’t even start. Yet only a day earlier the bolts backed right out no hint of a problem with the threads. It would be interesting to see if you could reinstall the old head gasket, heads and retighten the old bolts before you do the timeserting. I have a thread asking if anyone has ever successfully replaced the head gasket with out timeserting the block

As for the main bearing bolt threads I really don’t know if there is or ever has been a problem of reuse in that area. I expect bbob would know. Lol.

Ranger
10-12-04, 10:01 PM
I don't know if he still has it or how much he wants but here is one for sale.
http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=3539

Loose screw
10-13-04, 01:24 PM
Just for anyones info you can purchase direct from the factory and they have a web site: http://www.timesert.com/index.html

click on misc kits at the top

Geno Castellano
10-13-04, 04:40 PM
Unless there is a specific problem with the head bolt holes I would use the standard timesert kit. The bigserts require drilling the hole out even larger and there is limited to no extra clearance at the top of the block at the deck surface for the bigserts to my recollection so I would reserve them for a last ditch repair later on. There's rarely ever a problem with the main bolts. I certainly would not timesert them as a matter of course. The mains are just not subjected to the same loads and thermal cyling loads as the head bolts are.

CadiJeff
10-13-04, 05:10 PM
Geno just out of curiosity, are the timeserts a permanant fix? (they never need replaced reguardless of head removal again)

Geno Castellano
10-13-04, 05:30 PM
Geno just out of curiosity, are the timeserts a permanant fix? (they never need replaced reguardless of head removal again)

Timeserts are a permanent repair. The threads are better with the timesert inserts than they were when new. ;)

CadiJeff
10-13-04, 05:36 PM
why then are they not installed at the factory, or are they now

Geno Castellano
10-14-04, 12:44 AM
why then are they not installed at the factory, or are they now

They're just not needed in 99% of the engines. There are thousands and thousands of Northstars driving around without any head bolt problems. Probably a couple of million of them by now. The problem with the bolt holes usually only shows up when the engine is torn down for one reason or another for service of head gaskets or something. Putting timeserts into every bolt hole in every engine would be extremely costly and just isn't required. Since only a tiny fraction of a percentage of the engines built at the factory are ever dissassembled putting timeserts into all of them would be a waste.

CadiJeff
10-14-04, 12:49 AM
ok, cool thanks, your the man Geno!