View Full Version : 4L60E & carbed 350 chevy?

cadillac kevin
05-23-11, 12:36 AM
is it possible to run a 4L60E behind a carbed 350 chevy? since I totaled my van (had a 4.3 with fuel injection), I am parting it out and it has a 4L60E (the elctronic version of the 700r4, which is the trans I was looking for). can I run it on a carbed engine since IIRC the 4L60E modifies shift points based on engine feedback (or something like that). would I need to make the engine a tbi or fuel injected 350 (vortec) or is there a way to control the trans without using the ECM/PCM of the engine? I figure if I can make use of this trans I will (since it works great and -more importantly- is free).

05-23-11, 02:31 AM
The "E" stands for "Electronic." You can't put anything with a brain behind something that is dumber than a box of rocks. That transmission needs a computer signal to operate.

05-23-11, 09:31 AM
GM makes a transmission controler box to allow the 4l80e and 4l60e to run in a vintage carbed vehicle in the GM Performance Parts catalog.

05-23-11, 10:32 AM
Yep, just buy the control box and you're set. I believe you can change your shift points with it also.

05-23-11, 06:17 PM
this works unless its that one out of a 95....something about a pump or something on that year....

05-23-11, 07:54 PM
I think you will find that control box is more expensive than a used 700R4.

cadillac kevin
05-23-11, 11:50 PM
jays right- $1k+ just to control a stupid trans. I could buy at least 5 700r4s for that. or a totaled vehicle with a good motor and trans and all the goodies to hook it all up.
this might sound stupid (I've never had experience with computer controlled engines and trans), but if I make a carbed 350 into a vortec 350 (change the top half of the motor) wouldnt the engine control the transmission (given I get all the plugs and sensors and computer etc?) I've been thinking about doing that anyways (putting in a vortec 350). only thing is I'd have to get to the junkyard really quick after a chevy truck got there. people take the vortec parts really quickly.

05-24-11, 02:33 PM
I'd say sell the 4l60e and go buy a 700R4

05-24-11, 02:50 PM
There are trans controllers in the $500-$600 range, if that's really the way you want to go.

cadillac kevin
05-24-11, 06:55 PM
If I cant find a vortec 350, I'll just pack the trans away since I still have a vehicle that might need one someday (my new safari van). I was just thinking about using it to save a couple hundred bucks on my (eventual) caddy drivetrain swap.