: Locating terminal for cadillac codes?

caddyshacks
05-22-11, 09:25 PM
Hello I`m having trouble locating the terminal to bring up the codes for my 87 Cadillac brougham. i have looked under the hood and cant find it. is it under in the car near where the fuses are? is it something i need to take apart or open up to get to? could someone explain in detail where it is so i can bring up the codes. thanks.

sven914
05-22-11, 10:21 PM
The ALDL link is in against the fire wall, in the center of the cabin. Get on the floor and look at the underside of the dash, above the transmission hump.

caddyshacks
05-23-11, 12:14 AM
Thanks ..found it. it blinked the code 12 twice than i got the code 32 a few times in a row. looking at the code list it says egr circuit fault? if i was reading everything correctly .

sven914
05-23-11, 12:21 AM
There is no 32. Check again.

caddyshacks
05-23-11, 12:11 PM
I`m trying to read the flashes. wouldnt 3 flashes pause 2 flashes represent 32?

sven914
05-23-11, 02:14 PM
According to my service manual, there is no 32. The EGR Valve is only monitored on CARB (California) compliant Cadillacs, and would be presented as a code 53.

On some cars, equipped with a 307 (like yours), code 32 indicates a malfunctioning Barometric Pressure sensor. Cadillac used the MAP sensor as a BARO sensor, so your MAP sensor may not be functioning properly. The computer in your '87 might be slightly different than my '89, and might differentiate between the MAP and BARO sensors.

caddyshacks
05-23-11, 02:29 PM
I live in Canada, but the car was purchased from someone from Florida if that makes any difference. i have no idea what the barometric pressure sensor function is. does it effect vehicle performance? is it something i can ignore. when i was reading the flashes. it gave me the 3 flashes pause 2 flashes. a few times in a row before going back to the 1 flash pause 2 flashes. if that means anything. looking on the sticky list on the code reference all i could match it up with was what you mentioned the egr circuit fault.

csbuckn
05-23-11, 02:34 PM
I think MAP and EGR codes are the hardest to figure out on a 307, just too broad of a code to pinpoint. Too many vacuum lines.

Mackster
05-23-11, 02:54 PM
I`m trying to read the flashes. wouldnt 3 flashes pause 2 flashes represent 32?

I found a list with codes here: Sorry I am not ALLOWED to post links. Now isn't that cool, try to help someone and mamma bear sticks up her paw.

But if you boogle extreme-check-engine-light-codes, or maybe put a dot behind that before you go com you can get the list too. It says there: 32 egr circuit fault

I didn't realize this forum was part of the former ussr.

Hope that helps.
Mack

sven914
05-23-11, 03:25 PM
^http://www.extreme-check-engine-light-codes.com/GM%20OBD1%20Decoder.htm

That site gives you all of the OBDI codes used by General Motor for their entire fleet of models. Some of the codes don't apply to Cadillac because of the antiquate methods they use. According to that site, Code 31 is "CAM position sensor Fault" where on the Brougham, which does not have a camshaft position sensor, Code 31 is for the Canister Purge Valve. The site also lists Code 23 as "intake air temp sensor low" but the 307 is not a mass air flow engine, and uses a carburettor, so Code 23 is actually "mixture control solenoid low." There are a few other codes like that.

i have no idea what the barometric pressure sensor function is. does it effect vehicle performance? is it something i can ignore. when i was reading the flashes. it gave me the 3 flashes pause 2 flashes. a few times in a row before going back to the 1 flash pause 2 flashes. if that means anything. looking on the sticky list on the code reference all i could match it up with was what you mentioned the egr circuit fault.

Yeah. I probably should have gone through and put some of the 307 specific codes into that post.

The BARO sensor measures atmospheric pressure. When you drive a car to different altitudes, the engine needs a different air fuel ratio to run. When you turn the key to RUN or the engine is at wide open throttle, the MAP (or there might be a separate BARO sensor) measures the pressure of the atmosphere, and the computer then adjusts the fuel ratio and spark timing.

If the computer does not receive a BARO reading, it will go to default fuel metering. I don't know what the default is, but the engine is either going to be operating as if your at sea level or it will assume you are on a high mountain. Either way, the engine is not running at peak efficiency.