Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Gas Fumes

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  pompste 
#1 ·
My Brougham lately has been putting out gas fumes while i'm drivng it. a while ago i tried to change the fuel filter but couldnt and i twisted the gas line alittle but and there is no visible leak while started or sitting and i also started putting 89 in it. when i tried to change the filter. and it is missing a little piece of exhaust by the rear passanger wheel what should i do???

#2 ·
Running a higher octane fuel than the engine was designed for can have detrimental effects. The engine cannot full burn the better gasoline and it will leave residue in the combustion chamber.

A missing piece of exhaust pipe will not cause fuel vapors to enter the passenger cabin.

It is possible that the engine is experiencing a rich running condition. Because the engine is getting flooded with fuel, you will have raw gasoline being dumped into the exhaust.

It is also possible that you lessened the fuel inlet when you attempted to change the filter. It might only be a small leak and might only leak when the engine is warm or at higher RPM. Anything that leaks out of the inlet while driving will vaporize on the manifold, leaving no residue or sign of a leak.

You should also check to see if your fuel tank is leaking. Get under the rear of the car and check all four corners of the tank for wet spots.

#3 ·
the pics wont upload but i took off the carb. and went in from the drivers side where the throttle is and it looks like there is a bolt going into the block and that looks like where the fuel is coming from. i used a rag to soak it up and i ran out of light to see if anymore came back.

#4 ·
Did you have the gas fumes "before" trying to change the fuel filter?,or "after".I tried changing my fuel filter on '78 Deville 425 recently and could`nt do it either--AC compressor in the way.Even though i could only turn the nut an 1/8" or so it began leaking gas and i could smell the fumes quick.I just re-tightened the nut and it stopped the gas leak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.