: If I had to buy a new 2011 car, what would it be?

orconn
05-22-11, 05:16 PM
I've been reading Road &Track and Car and Driver and am not really turned on by any of the new cars in the U.S. marketplace today. If I had my druthers it would be an Alfa Romeo 156 Sportwagen, but unfortunately this would have to be a gray market car and competent service would be a problem. So that leaves with models that are available.

What would be your first choice of a new car that is sold in the U.S. today. Price isn't so much a problem, although $100,000 and above is stretching it.

If I were forced to buy something today it would probably be a DTS "Platinum" but given a choice I'd stick with my '95 Seville STS.

ThumperPup
05-22-11, 05:27 PM
unrealistically i would pick a 2011 Mercedes S Class AMG 65 model in White with the full glass roof

Realistically i would say a 2011 STS4 in a red or white diamond

Jesda
05-22-11, 05:40 PM
2011... hmmm...

A Miata, since the Sky and Solstice are gone.

The brand new Chrysler 300 V6 is within my grasp. That 292hp Pentastar engine is appealing, as is the new interior and body. But like you, I'd stick with my older Cadillac as long as it stays reasonably together.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-22-11, 07:25 PM
Under $100,000 huh....

Either the CTS-V Sedan or the Equus Ultimate. I like the CTS-V because it's total automotive badassery, with a comfortable cabin for 4, a beautiful design inside & out and comes from my favorite brand. The Equus I really like because it offers so much for so little, and adds a new fresh face and name to the game and shakes up the competition. I find it's design to be very restrained, yet good looking, unlike so many other cars in it's class.

Destroyer
05-22-11, 08:54 PM
I've been reading Road &Track and Car and Driver and am not really turned on by any of the new cars in the U.S. marketplace today. If I had my druthers it would be an Alfa Romeo 156 Sportwagen, but unfortunately this would have to be a gray market car and competent service would be a problem. So that leaves with models that are available.

What would be your first choice of a new car that is sold in the U.S. today. Price isn't so much a problem, although $100,000 and above is stretching it.

If I were forced to buy something today it would probably be a DTS "Platinum" but given a choice I'd stick with my '95 Seville STS.Z06 or ZR1 Corvette.........without question. A CTS-V wagon would probably be the one I'd go with though, kids and all.............:cool2:

ryannel2003
05-22-11, 09:49 PM
2011 DTS Platinum or Escalade.

Playdrv4me
05-23-11, 01:36 AM
DTS Platinum definitely, Escalade absolutely not. It's outdated in its market, Orconn hates Escalades, and in the SUV world there are far more luxurious choices (RR Supercharged) with far richer interiors. I love mine, but it's not really a "keeper" like an old Seville or a DTS Platinum.

As for cars in a higher strata, I'd probably still go with a decked out S550 or CL550 Designo Edition despite it being as old as the Escalade and looking like a fancy Altima. I absolutely LOVED riding in my friend's from Saint Louis to Chicago. That car really did a great job at rebuilding so much of what was destroyed with W220 model.

Koooop
05-23-11, 02:10 AM
CTS-V wagon.

Over $100,000 would drop me into a Panamera Turbo.

Since Cadillac is currently declining warranty repairs on my V, a new Caddy may be out of my future.

ryannel2003
05-23-11, 03:07 AM
DTS Platinum definitely, Escalade absolutely not. It's outdated in its market, Orconn hates Escalades, and in the SUV world there are far more luxurious choices (RR Supercharged) with far richer interiors. I love mine, but it's not really a "keeper" like an old Seville or a DTS Platinum.

As for cars in a higher strata, I'd probably still go with a decked out S550 or CL550 Designo Edition despite it being as old as the Escalade and looking like a fancy Altima. I absolutely LOVED riding in my friend's from Saint Louis to Chicago. That car really did a great job at rebuilding so much of what was destroyed with W220 model.

I love my mom's Denali... and I love the Escalade even more. Range Rovers are ok - but I have never really been that into them. Outdated or not, the Escalade is still a damn good looking vehicle. I'll take mine in Silver with Black leather. Besides GM has been discounting Escalade's for about 3 years now and you can get a fully loaded Escalade for around $64k in my area.

Jesda
05-23-11, 03:29 AM
I've become more accepting of Cadillac's black interiors. I'm SO SICK of sitting in a sea of grey.

ryannel2003
05-23-11, 03:32 AM
Been sitting in it for 3 years. You get used to it after awhile.

Playdrv4me
05-23-11, 04:46 AM
I love my mom's Denali... and I love the Escalade even more. Range Rovers are ok - but I have never really been that into them. Outdated or not, the Escalade is still a damn good looking vehicle. I'll take mine in Silver with Black leather. Besides GM has been discounting Escalade's for about 3 years now and you can get a fully loaded Escalade for around $64k in my area.

Something horrible I recently discovered is the embarrassingly hollow noise you get from the plastic directly underneath your fingers when you're holding the door handle. It feels like I could push right through it with my fist if I pushed down hard enough. And the funny thing about the Denali is that now that GM gotten over their first year trick of "dumbing" it down, you can get them not only with the same HP rating (like anyone really believed there was a difference), but even their own version of a 22 inch wheel! If you can get loaded Escalades for 64k, figure 52-54 for a Denali, and that's quite a bargain.

C&C
05-23-11, 07:46 AM
Not using your $100,000 cap (as that is unrealistic for me), I believe I would be looking at a Chevrolet Cruz (I think I could, maybe, swing the LTZ).

Playdrv4me
05-23-11, 08:24 AM
Not using your $100,000 cap (as that is unrealistic for me), I believe I would be looking at a Chevrolet Cruz (I think I could, maybe, swing the LTZ).

Boy wouldn't that be a sad sad world if those of us with lower budgets HAD to buy NEW cars. Amazing that you can deck out a new Cruze MSRP to nearly what our Escalade cost used. Blah.

orconn
05-23-11, 10:09 AM
I've become more accepting of Cadillac's black interiors. I'm SO SICK of sitting in a sea of grey.

I know what you mean about grey interiors. The Thunderbird Turbo had a grey leather interior. I was really happy when that car was stolen (only car I've ever had stolen, and the least likely by my estimation); as I had long since begun to hate the grey interior!

Aron9000
05-23-11, 03:45 PM
CTS-V Coupe. Love the Gotham City styling. Didn't like the big rear end until I saw one on person, but it really works IMO.

I'd like a new Corvette, but they're coming out with a new model in the next 12-18 months, I'd rather just hold off until then.

As for something a LITTLE more affordable, a Challenger SRT-8 would be badass. Make mine Plum Crazy Purple please.

Although I'd have a hard time turning down a HD diesel Chevy or Dodge Ram. Diesel tech now days is simply amazing. With some minor modifications(ie a handheld tuner and deleting all the emissions bs) you can be pushing 600+hp and 1000+lb-ft torque.:spin:

Koooop
05-23-11, 04:10 PM

I tried so hard to get Grey leather in my wife's minivan. The only Red '10 (Limited) left within 500 miles had Cream leather, so we have Cream. I already regret the Cream, the kids foot prints, dropped food etc... just didn't show up in the old van with the Grey leather. And the Black interiors show so much dust.

gdwriter
05-23-11, 04:50 PM
Black leather looks good, but too hot in summer for my taste. I used to hate tan, but the Neutral Shale looks so nice in the Seville, and I like the Cashmere in the CTS.

But I miss the colorful interiors you used to get to choose from. Consider the interior color choices Chevrolet offered in 1964:

http://gdwriter.com/graphics/64_interior_colors.jpg

hueterm
05-23-11, 06:20 PM
A SILVER (or Crimson Pearl) DTS Platinum w/the black interior and no adaptive cruise, so you get the full chrome grille.

BTW...The black paint is driving me crazy. I SWORE I'd never get another one, reneged on it, and now every little spot stands out...

If SUVs are included, then a silver/black Escalade EXT would be a close runner up.

MauiV
05-23-11, 06:32 PM
As is known I LOVE the CLS 63. The new XJ's are INCREDIBLE too.

Koooop
05-23-11, 07:45 PM
There's a E63 wagon around here, that is such a cool family express wagon.

Jesda
05-23-11, 07:52 PM
I'd also consider a Cruze Eco since they're lower and lighter than the standard car.

Fiat 500 would be awfully tempting.

Stiggy
05-23-11, 10:48 PM
Well, it depends on one's requirements. If it is my daily driver and only vehicle, I'd be strongly considering a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. If I didn't have to worry about snow and carrying my 85-pound dog with bad hips, I would be picking up a 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392.

thebigjimsho
05-24-11, 12:15 AM
Porsche Boxster Spyder

Stingroo
05-24-11, 12:25 AM
Where's that video Jesda put on Sal's wall....

Koooop
05-24-11, 01:23 AM
Porsche Boxster Spyder

The question to this answer is:

If I had to buy a new 2011 CHICK car, what would it be?

:florian:

Jesda
05-24-11, 01:32 AM
Not gonna lie. I'd go full-h0mo in a new Boxster if I could afford one.

Koooop
05-24-11, 01:36 AM
Didn't some dude trade a cell phone for one of those?

M Charles
05-24-11, 01:45 AM
I want a Ford F150. I miss my old one.

Playdrv4me
05-24-11, 05:23 AM
Didn't some dude trade a cell phone for one of those?

Yea he kept trading and trading until he got all the way to the Boxster. Then he wanted to trade that for an Escalade.

thebigjimsho
05-24-11, 12:09 PM
The question to this answer is:

If I had to buy a new 2011 CHICK car, what would it be?

:florian:

Not gonna lie. I'd go full-h0mo in a new Boxster if I could afford one.

Only the fool ignorantly calls the Boxster a chick car. It doesn't look any more feminine than a 911, if you want to call that feminine. The Boxster has a far superior mid-engine setup to the 911's read-engine. And now that it has an increasingly powerful 6, it'll match lap times of top end 911s with its superior handling.

Koooop
05-24-11, 01:46 PM
They scoot (for chick car).

orconn
05-24-11, 02:20 PM
^^^ Since well educated "chicks" seem to be making more money than their contemporary guys, more chicks can afford a Boxer. Does that make it a "chick car?"

MauiV
05-24-11, 02:22 PM
Boxter is a chick car. Cayman R is the Mans version.

MauiV
05-24-11, 02:32 PM
If you want a 2 seater under $100K......

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/jdinmaui/02%20cars/Picture259.jpg

Koooop
05-24-11, 05:46 PM
Boxter is a chick car. Cayman R is the Mans version.

^^I was gonna say that^^

Jesda
05-24-11, 08:13 PM
Boxster > Cayman

Why? Convertibles are a sports car tradition.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-24-11, 08:56 PM
I'm gonna argue against that because true race cars are never convertibles. Convertibles add weight and weight is never good when talking true sports (race level) cars. However, having the wind blow in your hair is certainly a lot sportier feeling than a closed cabin.

Jesda
05-24-11, 09:31 PM
In a car as short as a Boxster, being topless has a negligible effect on weight. Its when you take something that started as a hard top and chop the roof that things get heavy, like my Saab which gained something like 250lbs, or the BMW 3-series which adds an insane 400lbs (but I can attest to its safety). I'd argue that the Saab and BMW convertibles are sporty luxury cruisers, not sports cars, and they don't fall into the same category as focused, short-wheelbase two-seaters.

http://www.coolnessroundup.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/web580-3aunion.jpg

http://www.carversation.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/formula-1-cars.jpg

^Its not like any Boxster drivers will be doing that kind of driving, but its a tradition. The original idea was probably easier ingress/egress.

Of course, some autocross events require a hard top or at least fixed roll bars to participate, and my understanding is that the Boxster always had a roll bar from the factory. This weekend amateur racing requirement is what lead to the development of the Solstice Coupe, which unfortunately died with Pontiac.

The British kept the roadster tradition going, and the Japanese made it feasible as everyday transportation rather than a temperamental hobby car.

thebigjimsho
05-24-11, 11:41 PM
I'm gonna argue against that because true race cars are never convertibles. Convertibles add weight and weight is never good when talking true sports (race level) cars. However, having the wind blow in your hair is certainly a lot sportier feeling than a closed cabin.
The Boxster is a softtop that is meant to run its life open. The top is meager and barely will do what it needs. I think Jesda adequately debunked the rest of that statement.

thebigjimsho
05-24-11, 11:43 PM
And if anyone thinks the Cayman is manly while the Boxster is feminine, have fun in your ugly, slabassed thing that doesn't do anything better than the Spyder...

Koooop
05-25-11, 01:01 AM
And if anyone thinks the Cayman is manly while the Boxster is feminine, have fun in your ugly, slabassed thing that doesn't do anything better than the Spyder...

Except look like a man car.

Koooop
05-25-11, 01:02 AM
The Cayman is an exceptional tribute to the original 901, in every way.

Jesda
05-25-11, 01:06 AM
The Cayman is pretty cool but it does cost a little bit more.

thebigjimsho
05-25-11, 01:23 AM
meh.

Koooop
05-25-11, 02:08 AM
The Cayman is pretty cool but it does cost a little bit more.

And nobody will punch your man card for driving it.

ga_etc
05-25-11, 02:31 AM
Staying out of the Porsche argument.

Under $100k and an '11 model? CTS-V Wagon would be my first choice. I'm sure there are some others I could think of, but would do what I wanted them to quite so well.

Jesda
05-25-11, 03:06 AM
And nobody will punch your man card for driving it.

lol, I'm not quite that concerned about public opinion :histeric:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-25-11, 08:44 AM
^ I mean, after all, Jesda is the guy that brought us Ducky! :lol:

Jesda
05-25-11, 09:03 AM
Exactly!

Being paranoid about public opinion is inherently girly.

Koooop
05-25-11, 02:53 PM
I have no room to talk, look at the upper link in my signature. gay

ga_etc
05-25-11, 03:26 PM
^ I mean, after all, Jesda is the guy that brought us Ducky! :lol:

What's wrong with Ducky???

Actually, the girls dig Ducky.

Jesda
05-25-11, 04:10 PM
What's wrong with Ducky???

Actually, the girls dig Ducky.

Yes they do, and they tend to want the driver to come over and watch Dancing With The Stars with their mom. :histeric:

orconn
05-25-11, 04:22 PM
Yes they do, and they tend to want the driver to come over and watch Dancing With The Stars with their mom. :histeric:

Very well said, my lord Jesda, of course at this point their mom could be Jane Seymour or Jodi Foster! On the other hand after watching you warm up to their mom they may insert a Berginstock in your butt!

thebigjimsho
05-25-11, 05:14 PM
Staying out of the Porsche argument.

Under $100k and an '11 model? CTS-V Wagon would be my first choice. I'm sure there are some others I could think of, but would do what I wanted them to quite so well.
If I didn't already have a V, I'd agree...