: 300c vs cadillac reliabilty & repair cost

thomas22
05-22-11, 01:33 PM
So as the title says guys does anyone have an idea on the reliability and repair cost of a 2000 - 2004 caddy vs 2005 Chrysler 300c. I know I might get some biased answers but im looking for a few educated responses. Any help is appreciated.

Jesda
05-22-11, 04:40 PM
Depends on which 300. The Hemi V8s tend to have fewer issues than the V6. The 2.7 has always been problematic. The 3.5 is prone to head gasket issues, but its a normal repair (~$500-~700) that doesnt require engine removal like the Northstar.

Expect the 300's door handles and interior bits to crack, rattle, or break on occasion. Ball joints, tie rods, bushings, and other suspension bits will require somewhat frequent replacement.

The V6 uses the Chrysler Ultradrive transmission which is prone to both electrical and mechanical issues. The V8, I believe, uses an old (1996) but dependable Mercedes 5-speed auto.

So, if you get a used 300, get the V8. I think the V8 300 is a much more dependable choice than a Deville or Seville, with the added bonus of superior handling. However, the 300 lacks the "magic" of the way Cadillacs ride, look, and feel inside and out. It definitely feels like a cheaper car all around, even though its mechanically more trustworthy than a FWD Cadillac.

orconn
05-22-11, 05:24 PM
Depends on which 300. The Hemi V8s tend to have fewer issues than the V6. The 2.7 has always been problematic. The 3.5 is prone to head gasket issues, but its a normal repair (~$500-~700) that doesnt require engine removal like the Northstar.

Expect the 300's door handles and interior bits to crack, rattle, or break on occasion. Ball joints, tie rods, bushings, and other suspension bits will require somewhat frequent replacement.

The V6 uses the Chrysler Ultradrive transmission which is prone to both electrical and mechanical issues. The V8, I believe, uses an old (1996) but dependable Mercedes 5-speed auto.

So, if you get a used 300, get the V8. I think the V8 300 is a much more dependable choice than a Deville or Seville, with the added bonus of superior handling. However, the 300 lacks the "magic" of the way Cadillacs ride, look, and feel inside and out. It definitely feels like a cheaper car all around, even though its mechanically more trustworthy than a FWD Cadillac.

I don't know, Jesda, you guys keep sighting the potential problems with the N*'s head gasket and yet you add up the cost of repairing all the suspension/and hardware replacements and problems for those of us that have to pay someone to fix that stuff it adds up pretty quick to the cost a HG job on a N*. Maybe not so much with a Chrysler mid range car, but certainly with anything from Mercedes, Audi or BMW.

Jesda
05-22-11, 06:11 PM
Thats a good point. The HGs, while expensive, are a one-time deal.

Playdrv4me
05-23-11, 12:45 AM
Of course, with a Mercedes, Audi or BMW, you haven't typically exceeded the value of the car in one repair. Fortunately that's irrelevant for many Deville and Seville owners that genuinely love their cars.

chatsworth
05-23-11, 01:44 PM
Having owned another LX platform Chrysler ('05 magnum) I'll agree with the V6 vs. V8 comments. I had the 3.5 and had the aforementioned tranny and headgasket issues, along with some diff problems which are inherent to the AWD LX cars.

Playdrv4me
05-23-11, 02:25 PM
I don't think I'd ever consider a non-V8 LX. The engine is half the appeal of those cars.

Aron9000
05-23-11, 02:34 PM
^ :werd:

I'd take a 300c over any N* Seville or Deville any day of the week. Of course you are going to be paying double for a 300c since its newer and has held its value pretty well.

ltdltc
05-23-11, 03:05 PM
The interior of the 300 is a joke. I think the Charger interior with the flatter dash is better looking. Before getting buying my first DTS Lux II in 2009, I looked at a few and never even went for a drive as I feel Chrysler's are still inferior to GM/Ford. Now that I have Magnetic Ride Control and the 3.71 gearing I'd pick a Performance Sedan over a 300C everyday of the week even with the Fail Wheel Drive.

orconn
05-23-11, 04:01 PM
Of course, with a Mercedes, Audi or BMW, you haven't typically exceeded the value of the car in one repair. Fortunately that's irrelevant for many Deville and Seville owners that genuinely love their cars.

Whether you are exceeding resale value (any time you have a major repair (or expensive minor repair) to any used car you exceeding the amount the car would be worth. The cost of the repair has to be added to the appropriate "used' market value of the car, not added into the market value. So if you have a used 5 year old BMW that has a used market value of $10,000. and you have a repair or (group of repairs) costing $4000. you are not going to be able to get $14,000. for the car if you sell it, but rather you will get the same $10,000. that the car would have brought if the repairs had not needed the repairs. So in this case you still have a net loss of $4000. not the ability to recoup the amount you spent on the repairs. I think Chad's experience with his Mercedes "S" class shows this to be true. My experience with my Audi %5000S certainly taught me this lesson; I had to keep trying to "drive" out the cost of repairs to the car as they certainly weren't reflected in any additional resale value!

In reality when you are buying a used car for a deep discount off of "new" retail price you are really gambling as to what the actual "net" cost of the vehicle will be, given the amount you will receive less repairs over and above major maintenance and defect repair cost. I will bet that the cost of owning European luxury cars will far exceed those of Japanese or Cadillac ownership costs.

Now if you are switching cars within a short amount of time and are lucky enough to not have expensive repairs to make to a vehicle, then a slower rate of depreciation or perhaps a higher brand reliability experience might lower your ownership cost. But this is unlikely if you are going to own the car past its' warranty period!

thomas22
05-24-11, 08:57 PM
thanks for the input guys