: Life of a tire?

Kuya
05-21-11, 10:45 PM
I did a quick search and did not find the information already posted . . at least under the search "srx tires", so here is my question:

What is the typical life span of a tire on the SRX AWD?

1. How many miles of average driving should I expect from each tire?

2. How often do you rotate? Every oil change?

3. Is it ok to replace two at a time (both front or both rear) on AWD? Or do you need to do all 4 the same time?

Cooper10
05-22-11, 07:09 AM
Standard equipment tires are Michelin Latitude Tour HP in size 235/65 18(Luxury) and 235/55 20(Performance,Premium).
This series of Michelin tire should last 50,000 mile with proper tire air inflation.
I rotate tires every 10,000 on my SRX AWD, I dont know if these tires are uni directional. Most likely front to back on the same side of the SRX.

smiley47
05-22-11, 09:18 AM
I've got 23,000 miles on the Michelin 20's on an AWD turbo. Very little wear showing at this point. Rotate at every service. I wouldn't rule out 50,000 mile tire life.

Smokin' SRX
05-22-11, 09:41 AM
Cooper is right, by the book. However I found with previous similar rides, having AWD/weight class that 75% tire life was gone at 30-35K miles. Rotating is a must (along with proper REGULAR pressure checks-don't wait for the TPMS to tell you they are dangerously low pressure) 10K is a good approx interval, but co-ordinate with oil change and yearly safety Inspection (in NY anyway)

I say about 30K because recent studies show that after you achieve 65% wear on your tires you have increased stopping distances (handling) by about 50% !!! 60-0 goes from 120 ft to 180 ft! Rain/snow traction equally compromised. So I budget for new skins before the wear indicators say "replace", unless my lease is up real soon. Too late in my book. 1 accident will make you wish you had bought new skins sooner.........

Good luck!

SS

Smokin' SRX
05-22-11, 09:53 AM
dup.....

Kuya
05-22-11, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the info. At 15kmi, I can expect to get at least another 15k - 20kmi from them . . . that's good. I was checking out prices and see they range around $280 - $330 a piece.

Is it ok if I replace 2 at a time, or is it better to just save up and do all 4 at the same time?

Thanks for all the input. Total newbie, not only to Cadillac but to "how things work" in general on all cars.

But, I already LOVE my Caddy. It's just amazing. The first night, I wanted to sleep in it lol. . . .

Smokin' SRX
05-23-11, 09:40 AM
Replacing all 4 is best, but the system will easily handle just one axle at a time ( both front or both rear). It isn't always feasible to do all 4 at same time. My neighbor never rotates his tires (cause he hates the re-programming of the tire sensors). Naturally the front wear out much sooner than the rear (due to their steering funtion) so he replaces them one year, then a year or two later, the rear get changed.

In the FWIW dept, unless I'm at the Dealer and he rotates them, I don't reset the positions on the TPMS program (just lazy/don't want to wait for local repair shop to figure out how to do it), EG..... I leave the TPMS system alone. If I then get a "LOW TIRE" signal from my dash info center, I can figure out if it's a rear/front, with my handy pressure gage. I only rotate front to rear, then back again, (so I at least know what side to look at) even though the tires are not uni-directional like the Caddy CTS-V. Most important thing is that I can get warned of an impending high speed blow-out/slow leak, somewhere! LOL

SS

Smokin' SRX
05-23-11, 11:17 AM
(sorry, duplicate)

Smokin' SRX
05-23-11, 11:34 AM
Yeah, those Michelins are pricey and last about 40K miles MAX, according to their own rating. See them @ $288 ea, from Tirerack.com, a well known supplier who ships to your home or shop and has Yokohama Parada for $217. Figure $50 total shipping? This is a basically similar tire to the OEM Michelin's. It may be slightly less worthy in medium to heavy snow, but otherwise a good cheaper replacement for the OEM tire. Likewise, if ya gotta get some skins "on the cheap", here is a lower wear rated tire for only $159! Goodyear Eagle RSA in 255/50/20. Def fits with similar ride quality and some SRX are using already.Both will handle the SRX well, including speed and load ratings. See sites below.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?search=true&startIndex=0&width=255%2F&ratio=50&diameter=20&performance=HPAS&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=235/&ratio=55&diameter=20&manufacturer=Yokohama&autoMake=Cadillac&autoYear=2010&autoModel=SRX%203.0L%20AWD&autoModClar=Performance

I suspect the Michelins will be the best ride/snow/noise performance of all 3 by about 5-10 % . But nice to have options, especially if at lease end, in several months........
SS

PJ1520
05-23-11, 04:27 PM
No one has mentioned running nitrogen intead of plain old air in their tires.

PJ

Kuya
05-23-11, 07:54 PM
Please expand . . . How does one add nitrogen to tires and what are the benefits ??

Sorry, all my previous cars were jalopies . . . the hardest thing to figure out was where the spare tire was . . oh wait . . that's still the hardest thing to figure out.

No one has mentioned running nitrogen intead of plain old air in their tires.

PJ

Kuya
05-23-11, 07:57 PM
Smokin . that is some great info . . and very useful.

I am still a bit confused on the TPMS. Am I correct in thinking that you SHOULD reset your TPMS every time you rotate or change a tire? If so, is resetting the TPMS something I can do or is it something the service station does?

If it is something that should be done, and something that the service station does . . I guess I am kinda stuck buying tires from the Caddy dealer . .if I want to keep things on the up and up ??? Great . . .cause they charge an extra $60 per tire than other local places.

Yeah, those Michelins are pricey and last about 40K miles MAX, according to their own rating. See them @ $288 ea, from Tirerack.com, a well known supplier who ships to your home or shop and has Yokohama Parada for $217. Figure $50 total shipping? This is a basically similar tire to the OEM Michelin's. It may be slightly less worthy in medium to heavy snow, but otherwise a good cheaper replacement for the OEM tire. Likewise, if ya gotta get some skins "on the cheap", here is a lower wear rated tire for only $159! Goodyear Eagle RSA in 255/50/20. Def fits with similar ride quality and some SRX are using already.Both will handle the SRX well, including speed and load ratings. See sites below.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?search=true&startIndex=0&width=255%2F&ratio=50&diameter=20&performance=HPAS&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=235/&ratio=55&diameter=20&manufacturer=Yokohama&autoMake=Cadillac&autoYear=2010&autoModel=SRX%203.0L%20AWD&autoModClar=Performance

I suspect the Michelins will be the best ride/snow/noise performance of all 3 by about 5-10 % . But nice to have options, especially if at lease end, in several months........
SS

Smokin' SRX
05-24-11, 08:26 AM
The TPMS sensor is part of the air valve assembly. If merely rotating it just moves to new position on car with the tire. You do not have to reset it to function normally, but then if a low air condition happens one day, you will not know exactly which tire without a visual/hand held air guage. You can quickly figure that out yourself. No biggie really. Caddy dealers (and some tire shops) usually reset the sensors to learn their new position after they rotate. It's not mandatory. Bring the Owners Manual with you if going to local shop! I personally never re-learn upon rotating (my local guy usually rotates it for $10 if I'm there for a oil change or something) as I just rotate the front to the rear and visa-versa, so they are always on same side of car and I just need to figure out if it's the front or rear tire if a lite comes on.

If you are buying new tires, I think the new tire just needs proper inflation and the TPMS systems resets automatically after a few miles of driving. (they keep tires in same positions) Not sure about that however, as I never changed tires on any of my TPMS vehicles yet.......... Maybe another member can chime in. And NO, while it's nice to buy tires at a Caddy Dealer and get (hopefully) first class, hassle free service, it ain't mandatory, and any brand name tire shop can help you!

SS

Smokin' SRX
05-24-11, 08:45 AM
dup.

Smokin' SRX
05-24-11, 09:27 AM
dup.