: Fender has a slight wave in it?

JohnnySpagz
05-21-11, 07:48 PM
Hey everyone

I have had my V coupe for 3 weeks. Haven't had it out much due to all the rain we had. Anyway I had it out today and noticed that the passenger side fender has a wave in the upper part. I'm not sure if that is how to describe it. Basically, when you run your finger on the upper part of the fender where the fender vent is - where the fender meets the hood - it isnt straight - it has a slight wave. I'm probably not describing it well - sorry about that. I dont know if I should let the dealer know or just leave it be. I dont think I would want to replace and paint a fender. Here are some pictures - you really cant see it much - but you can see how the gap between the fender and the hood gets smaller.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/albums/j361/johnnystats/CTS/

Any advice as to what I should do.

cbloveday
05-21-11, 08:00 PM
If it bothers you enough, have it fixed. You run the risk of paint not being exact.

I saw in your photo where the gap is not uniform. I am curious if it may also have a slight indentation or two on the horizontal part of the fender close to the hood? If are front of your car, get your head horizontal with that fender plane and look down the fender. You may need to be in certain light to see it.

I would caution anyone from resting their hand or anything on that part of the fender as it is very very weak. I noticed that I have a few on each fender and I believe it was from the dealership service or wash when it has been in their care. Jesse is very aware of it and I have never seen them lean on it at all. Regardless, of how it happened, it is there. Again the light and angle has to be perfect to see it.

When I borrowed his car, I saw it as well.
I haven't been around other Vs to compare.

Not sure if it is inherent in the metal or caused by slight weight being put on the area.

JohnnySpagz
05-21-11, 08:28 PM
That's exactly what it is - when you look from the hood - the horizontal part of the fender looks like it has 2 slight indentations in it - and only in certain light.

When you say that part of the fender is weak - what would happen if someone did lean or touch it?

Does Jesse have the same problem with his car?

cbloveday
05-21-11, 11:13 PM
Yes, I noticed it when I used his car while I was having my LSX installed. Mine almost look like elbow indents. I am starting to believe it is OEM now that you have the same thing.

I only said that part is weak because I thought it was due to someone leaning on it. Now I am not so sure.

It would be great if everyone would look at their cars and post up if they have the same.

JohnnySpagz
05-21-11, 11:44 PM
Thanks for your help. The funny thing is that it is only one the one side - the other side is fine. I would love to know if others have the same thing. I plan on going to the dealer to check some on the lot.

Oh, did Jesse leave his the way it is or did he get it repaired?

Again, thanks for your help!

cbloveday
05-22-11, 12:04 AM
Mine is on both sides. :(
Jesse did not get his repaired.

I wonder if the fenders has a fastners there or if some sort of torque is at that spot. I will look at that next time I remove the rubber strip that runs along the hood/fender.

Let me know what you find out at the dealership.

Gary Wells
05-22-11, 10:33 AM
I really don't want to step on anybody's toes here, but I'm not liking that at all. If that was my car, I would be jumping up and down. I think that came out of the factory that way. I also think that something went wrong at the factory in the metal forming process of that fender. There is a slight jag in the fender radius line where is runs parallel with the hood. In other words, the fender line is not straight. That shows up in one of the pics. Also, I really don't think that material is that easy to bend / dent in that area by hand or elbow. That is a very small area to be able to dent from the outside. I personally could not live with that.

JohnnySpagz
05-22-11, 11:12 AM
I totally agree - it had to come from the factory like that - but then I wonder if they replaced it and repainted - if that wasn't perfect, which would bother me more. Only if they were able to repair the fender, but I don't think that is possible.

JohnnySpagz
05-22-11, 06:00 PM
So, today I decided to go to the dealership and check out all the CTS's on the lot. Some appeared to have that 'wave' in the fender. Here are some pictures of a couple I saw - http://s1082.photobucket.com/albums/j361/johnnystats/may%2022/

cbloveday
05-22-11, 09:02 PM
If car wasn't owned by me since june of 09, I would have it fixed.

I have had it too long and been touched by too many people to feel confident that it was like that from the factory.

In your case, I would have it repaired and have the dealer fix it properly.

Razorecko
05-23-11, 12:29 PM
Be very very wary of having something body related fixed by the dealer or their associated shops. You always risk of having the car come back to you with bigger and or more/body issues than originally

Gary Wells
05-23-11, 12:44 PM
The only fix that I would consent to on that would be a fender replacement and then the concern would be color matching. I don't see them removing the fender and just pounding out the dent, which I think would be difficult at best. I'm sure they would try and get the owner to consent to mudding it in.

JohnnySpagz
05-23-11, 12:55 PM
That's my biggest fear - of having it replaced then the color not matching. I think I could probably live with the way it is more so than a color mismatch. I'm surprised I was able to find others like this as well if you look at the pictures in one of my last posts.

Richard MacGregor
05-23-11, 03:48 PM
Johnny,

I came over to check you guys out to see what you are up to, and noticed this thread. I noticed that dent on my car right away, but as you mentioned, you have to see it when conditions are right. I showed my dopey salesman, but he looked at me like I was wearing 2 heads. (he is used to selling cars to 75 year olds who don't pay attention to this I recon)

I have white pearl paint and am afraid to let them mess with it. If I knew for sure that paintless dent works would help I'd go that route.

My car is not a V but a CTS Sportwagon. The dent is on the right fender top near the windshield post.

Richard

ChicagoV
05-23-11, 07:45 PM
I am checking my wagon tonight for this issue, but I have noticed other (admittedly mostly minor, but noticeable to people who care about such things) similar issues like differences in panel gaps, door hanging, etc. in the wagon and in my first V. I love the V, but sometimes some of the factory work and the dealer interactions drive me crazy. If you design cars like these, you have to build and sell them right too.

For you guys that really know paint, is it hard to get the paint matched for a just-built car? A couple of years out it gets tough, but a car so new should expected to be matched, no?

JohnnySpagz
05-25-11, 12:22 AM
Thanks everyone for their opinions and feedback. Still curious if others are noticing this as well.

Caddy Wagon
05-25-11, 01:06 AM
Looked at mine today after reading this. It does not have this condition.

hulksdaddy
05-25-11, 01:37 PM
Mine does not have this condition.