: Now an owner...

mckellyb
05-21-11, 06:27 PM
Of one white diamond 2005 STS, N*, 1SF.

82K miles, and it's as clean as I remember it being. I found two minor paint bits on the outside while rolling around on a creeper during inspection, but it is a used car, after all.

The PO thinks it was a GM employee-program car to an employee based on the previous title originally registered in Dee-troit, and by 2008, it had a whopping 13K on it. Also, the XM radio, which was enabled on the vehicle from when he bought it, is still being paid for by someone. Bonus! He said he expected it to shut off, someday, but it never did.

The machine does not have so much as a scuff, underneath. All the rubber boots are in good condition, and besides two minor windshield chips, I could not find anything all that "wrong" with it. Literally not a door-ding one, which I find amazing for a Texas car lacking any kind of bodyside molding.

Since, I've found the driver's seat bottom-cushion rear tilt is somehow disconnected. By this, I mean I can hear the motor click but there is no movement up-or-down. The PO was a good sized guy, I mean tall and fairly beefy, so it's low. I'll have to fix that.

First on the list of things to-do is to change everything to remember me as the new owner. I thought I was losing my mind, going back to it after adjusting things (filled the tank, just 'cause), and finding the seat/mirrors had moved.

He's also been a Mobil 1 guy, which is nice to see! He also did the 30K/60K/90K service at about 45K, and I'm going to do it again, at 90K. I'll do everything myself, of course.

The only two things he said which have gone amiss were a diff pinion seal shortly after his purchase, and I think a door control computer, 'cause it wouldn't let him in several months back, and it wasn't the battery.

The Mercedes is relegated to outdoors, tonight, will probably take it to a friend's airplane hangar, tomorrow, to keep his 30' cabin cruiser, a yellow 1973 Lincoln Mark IV, and my wife and I's 40' diesel-pusher motorhome company, until I can find the parts needed to fix the LF corner enough to sell it.

It looks like any other WD 1SF, so no pic needed, though I did take one while it was in his driveway, just 'cause.

madmanmogan
05-21-11, 06:50 PM
Glad to hear you purchased it, congrats. I love mine, strangely I have the same drivers seat problem.

EChas3
05-21-11, 08:12 PM
Congratulations on your new (to you) car. My wife & I love ours.

chazglenn3
05-21-11, 11:07 PM
Congrats Kelly!

ancuster
05-23-11, 02:20 AM
Congratulations. STS's are the way to go. I love mine!!

Neutrocuted
05-23-11, 11:09 AM
Congrats!!! Sounds like an excellent buy! Love mine and I'd bet you'll love yours too. Good luck!

mckellyb
05-23-11, 12:27 PM
Update:

I've driven it just a bit...home from Arlington to SW Fort Worth, which is about 25 miles, but for around here, that's "down the street".

Played with the memory/radio setting/other stuff for about two hours, yesterday in the garage. Wow. Just...wow. I will likely never get everything exactly the way I want it only because there is so much to tweak! The PO had almost everything set the way I wanted it set, save for the NAV and the suspension setting (I moved it to 'performance' after pulling into my driveway had the car rocking/bobbing like the '73 CDV I used to drive)

Drove it to work this AM...I can see I'm going to have to wire in the V1 immediately 'cause this car creeps toward 80 effortlessly. The blackout above the RV mirror will kill laser detection, but that's really the most appealing place for it...at least for me.

I put Rejex on all the windows & tail lights last night 'cause there is rain in the forecast, today. It's a frog-choker right now, but I think we're escaping hail. If it hails...Mother Nature and I are gonna have a chat out back....

Rejex?

Rejex, and I'm just a user of the stuff, learned about it from motorhome forums, is like Rain-X, but about 300% better, and you can use it on paint! So, wash, polish, wax, Rejex, then re-apply Rejex every 6 months, and you'll not have to wax, again. Plus, washing, if you ever need it, is two minutes at the high-pressure wash on "rinse". It's like teflon for paint/glass/chrome. Wipe-on, and by the time you're back to where you started, if you're doing more than one window or the entire car, wipe-off. No buffing or anything.

Putting the W124 up, yesterday...I'm storing it for the time being, until I can find some parts for it...I realized it's not a bad car, by any stretch of the imagination, just tired. I'd rather move on then put a few (possibly several) grand into fixing a car which has 175K miles on it.

turnne
05-23-11, 01:59 PM
FYI

I have 1SG AWD..and it make "feel" different than yours

However...the performance setting does little to change the ride

Interesting you say you have old W124 benz

I understand the car is very...BUT it would not surprise me if it feels substantially more "solid" on the road than the STS...even in the shape you say its in needing quite a bit of work

I used own a 1992 w124 diesel..years ago...drove it to over 200K and sold it for $10K

Warren

EChas3
05-23-11, 10:30 PM
Congratulations on your purchase!

The MRC setting changes suspension response under agressive or 'sport' driving. If you drive sedately, you may never notice the difference.

mckellyb
05-23-11, 11:06 PM
I can tell a difference...slight, but definitely there. I like it.

Now if I can find the minor squeak in the dash...and why the driver's seat cushion rear tilt is hosed.