: CLicks but wont turn over? help me troubleshoot?

acermcgraw77
05-21-11, 05:38 PM
Hey guys 71 deville been sitting quite a while, i wanted to get it started before i start the restoration. it ran when parked several years ago. The ignition switch had been removed due to binding and thats why it sat.

I went out to just hear it turn over yesterday, hooked up the fresh battery and scraped a little outercoating off of the purple starter wire coming from the ignition. i hooked up a wire to my positive battery terminal and touched it to the exposed wire and expected it to turn over and i got a click did it again and click, i did it over and over, and each time the motors main pully would turn mabey an eighth of an inch. The wires began to heat up too much so i stopped.

so the solinoid seems to be kicking out but the actual starter motor doesnt turn. i took out all of the sparkplugs to lower compression and it didn turn any easier.

ANU IDEAS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRICIATED. thanks fellas.

jayoldschool
05-21-11, 06:15 PM
From your description, I am not sure you are jumping the wires correctly. You need a wire going from +12V to the + coil terminal, and then simply short across the two big terminals of the starter. A little wire from the battery is NOT going to handle the current required to start the car.

Once you get things wired right, you need to confirm that the motor isn't seized up. Just get a socket and a breaker bar on the crank and give it a twist. Or, take the inspection cover off the trans, grab the flywheel (with the car in neutral), and rotate. You should be able to spin the engine by hand. If you can, you have starter problems.

acermcgraw77
05-21-11, 07:50 PM
good ideas, the motor seems stiff but like i said it did rotate as i clicked the starter. also there isnt any big crankshaft nut on the front of the 472 that i could see or feel. but when i took out the plugs i couldnt turn it by hand. the wire i ran is an old 12 guage jumper cable wire, so its twice as big as the purple wire already there. i would hvae hooked up the coil but i only want to get it to turn over and not start so would that still be neccessary? thanks man

Ryansmagic
05-21-11, 10:21 PM
this is your starter being weak. I deal in mostly junk cars and this is a classic start is going out/is out sign.

jayoldschool
05-22-11, 12:34 PM
Hit the starter with a hammer as you are trying to crank it. I got a few extra starts out of my 81 before I had to replace it.

acermcgraw77
05-22-11, 07:47 PM
i would like to turn it over by hand to make sure its not stuck, this motor doesnt have a main pully bolt head for me to put a breaker bar on, i have taken out all of the sparkplugs, has anyone evey been able to turn it over by hand? im going to put something in to the sparkplug holes to lubricate and possibly free the motor what should i use?

jayoldschool
05-22-11, 07:59 PM
Every time I have worked on a starter or a transmission, I have been able to grab the flexplate and rotate the engine by hand. With the plugs in.