: 43 days in the shop and the V is home

tbss08
05-20-11, 06:38 PM
I finally got the call the V was ready. I picked it up this afternoon. So far no noises from the roof. The paint was repaired and looks good.
It sure in the hell felt good driving the V instead of the DTS. I hope this fixes the roof noises once and for all so I can start to enjoy the car again.
I'm keeping an eye on the oil area to make sure the leak doesn't develop again.

dlin95123
05-20-11, 07:29 PM
**43** days in the shop? I missed the beginning of the story. What happened to your car?

shade
05-20-11, 07:33 PM
Facory workers slacked on building his car. Some of the welds were done poorly causing popping noises in the rear pillar area.

Let us know how the car ends up! Bout time you got it back.

MReiland
05-20-11, 07:45 PM
Facory workers slacked on building his car. Some of the welds were done poorly causing popping noises in the rear pillar area.

Welds on all modern vehicles are actually robotically applied.... If you all get the chance to tour an automotive assembly plant you should all take the opportunity, it will change many of your notions what it takes to assemble the vehicle from just small pieces of sheetmetal to a near dimensionally perfect assembly that we call the V. I will tell you I couldn't work the line for long putting the same assembly together 600 times a day in only 45 seconds each. I haven't seen any of the reports on what exactly happened to TBSS's door ring where the popping sound was coming from.

Matt Reiland

SleepTight
05-20-11, 08:00 PM
Glad to hear your V has returned to its rightful home. I sure hope they've got your roof fixed this time.

tbss08
05-20-11, 08:13 PM
Matt,
Thanks for your help on this.

All,
I asked the service rep what they did to the roof but he wasn't sure. He did say they re-welded the area which was repaired before but the problem was still there. Two engineers came in to town and assisted the body shop with the repairs. They also left very specific instructions on how to assemble the head liner, ultraview, interior trim and remaining trim pieces. I have only put 10 miles on the car since picking it up but so far no noise from the roof. I also have no wind noise from the sunroof.
My next task is to wash the beast and see if the roof leaks at all. I still don't have disposition on the damaged rims, the regional rep denied fixing them. I guess it would be time to break out the old repair orders to show where they were damaged 1 year ago after the first roof repairs and tire change. To be honest though, I just don't feel like fighting anymore. It has been a very long 15 month journey trying to get the V right. Sadly it has taken the joy of owning such a car away.

I hope to put some miles on the car this week. A trip through the Dragon should flex the car and see how well it holds together.

I also agree with Matt on how the cars are put together. I take a tour of the Corvette plant and it boggles ones mind how they are put together. I've also toured the plant where the Aluminum frames are made for the Z06 and ZR1. Very impressive watching both the robotic welders and human welders tackling that frame. Throw in the automatic riveting machine, CNC for the suspension and laser welder, WOW very impressive.

Companies and people make mistakes, it is how the mistakes are handled and fixed which sets companies apart.

shade
05-20-11, 08:22 PM
Matt,
Thanks for your help on this.

All,
I asked the service rep what they did to the roof but he wasn't sure. He did say they re-welded the area which was repaired before but the problem was still there. Two engineers came in to town and assisted the body shop with the repairs. They also left very specific instructions on how to assemble the head liner, ultraview, interior trim and remaining trim pieces. I have only put 10 miles on the car since picking it up but so far no noise from the roof. I also have no wind noise from the sunroof.
My next task is to wash the beast and see if the roof leaks at all. I still don't have disposition on the damaged rims, the regional rep denied fixing them. I guess it would be time to break out the old repair orders to show where they were damaged 1 year ago after the first roof repairs and tire change. To be honest though, I just don't feel like fighting anymore. It has been a very long 15 month journey trying to get the V right. Sadly it has taken the joy of owning such a car away.

I hope to put some miles on the car this week. A trip through the Dragon should flex the car and see how well it holds together.

I also agree with Matt on how the cars are put together. I take a tour of the Corvette plant and it boggles ones mind how they are put together. I've also toured the plant where the Aluminum frames are made for the Z06 and ZR1. Very impressive watching both the robotic welders and human welders tackling that frame. Throw in the automatic riveting machine, CNC for the suspension and laser welder, WOW very impressive.

Companies and people make mistakes, it is how the mistakes are handled and fixed which sets companies apart.

Yes everything is almost all robotically welded and the factories are incredible. I understand issues come up and my 'slackers' comment came out of frustration for the way customers are treated before they buy the car then are shoved out of the way after, especially when issues come up.
Mreiland - not sure if you do this on your own or its part of your job to help out but you deserve a raise and should be in charge of getting customers taken care of. Should GM have more people like you in charge they would crush the other auto makers.

tbss08
05-20-11, 08:31 PM
Yes everything is almost all robotically welded and the factories are incredible. I understand issues come up and my 'slackers' comment came out of frustration for the way customers are treated before they buy the car then are shoved out of the way after, especially when issues come up.
Mreiland - not sure if you do this on your own or its part of your job to help out but you deserve a raise and should be in charge of getting customers taken care of. Should GM have more people like you in charge they would crush the other auto makers.

I agree 100%. MReiland is an excellent example of how to represent GM. My hats off to him, thank you!

e6t
05-20-11, 08:58 PM
it's not MReiland's job.

in fact he is quite removed from making sure we V owners are happy. He does it because he cares about the Company he represents and the customers happiness.

For what it's worth, I'd hire the guy in a new york second; gm is LUCKY to have him.

neuronbob
05-20-11, 09:44 PM
Matt rocks. He made it easier for me to own a V in the first place. GM is lucky to have a dude like him.

tbss, I am glad you have your car back. Having followed your story from the beginning, I am a bit surprised that GM put so much time and money into fixing it rather than just buying it back, figuring out what happened and then applying the solution to whatever error your car had to the line. Then again, I'm a doctor, not an automotive engineer, so what do I know? *shrugs*

Your situation makes me super-glad my V has been trouble-free since day 1.

tbss08
05-21-11, 08:10 AM
I've had quite a few people ask why GM just didn't get the car back and figure out what the heck went wrong so other could be fixed when the problem arises with them. :hmm: I'm not an engineer either, just retired USN with a background in a lot of mechanical stuff.

I hope to shake the cobwebs out of the car this week and see how it holds up. I would like to think this is the last shop for the V.

cbloveday
05-21-11, 08:59 AM
Hope she is right, so you can get the warm fuzzy feeling back. Matt has also assisted me in a matter unrelated to build quality on the V.
If he can't help, he will point you to the right people who can.

turbol15
05-21-11, 07:48 PM
you should damand GM buy the car back and/or give you a chance on another V. absurd you had to wait 43days.

laynrockers
05-21-11, 09:01 PM
Just wandering if the noises I am hearing are similar to the ones you had. The roof and backend near the pillar are constantly making little popping/crackling noises when on uneven terrain like going down or up a driveway.. ?

Can't tell if it is just all the plastics GM use or something done wrong?

tbss08
05-22-11, 08:32 AM
Just wandering if the noises I am hearing are similar to the ones you had. The roof and backend near the pillar are constantly making little popping/crackling noises when on uneven terrain like going down or up a driveway.. ?

Can't tell if it is just all the plastics GM use or something done wrong?

Same area and noise mine had. It was concentrated by the right rear door. At times I thought the Ultraview was ready to crack into a million pieces. When the body flexed it made sharp loud snaps. My noises were especially noticeable when pulling out of the garage and driving over a little 1 inch variance in pavement. My wife about jumped out of her seat the first time I pulled the car out with her in it. She thought the glass was going to break.

For everyone saying I need to demand a new car, that is about as far as it goes with GM. You can demand all you want and even ask nicely, they are not in the business of taking a car back unless they are forced to either through arbitration or court.

dlin95123
05-22-11, 02:25 PM
My experience has been the same with tbss08's. I had to resolve to legal action to get GM to give my money back and more. Check your state's anti-lemon laws. If your car has been in the shop for 43 days, it may qualify as a lemon. It is pretty black and white if they need to give you the money back or replace it. It may take some effort. But if all your records are legit, the chance is that you will prevail.

To be fair for GM, their cars are not the worst in terms of reliability from my experience. After being fed up with 3 GM cars, I bought a new BMW 7 series. It turned out to be worse than any of my GM cars. It was on its 3rd transmission and 2nd rear differential, among many other component failures, when I sold it.

I have been lurking in this forum to get a feel if CST-V would be good for my next car. I now drive a Mitsubishi Evo X MR and my wife has a Lexus ES350. Both cars have been very reliable. My Evo X has been fun, but a bit too noisy/raw and kiddish for me. The wish-list for my next should have: reliability, performance, fun, and luxury.

tbss08
05-22-11, 04:41 PM
I have been down the road with both a lemon law and Magnuson Moss legal path. I've learned a lot about lemon laws in the past year. In Indiana the car must be purchased in IN, registered here and the owner a legal resident.
I bought the car in KY so it kills the lemon law for Indiana. The first trip to the shop for 49 days would have qualified it as a Lemon, now tack on another 43 days this time.
Trust me, my next car will be eligible for state Lemon Law.

dlin95123
05-22-11, 05:34 PM
Why would you want to get another lemon? In my own mind, a BMW M3 would have probably been the best sports sedan if reliability were not an issue. But I won't buy another BMW again from my experience. I won the lawsuit against GM about 20 years ago. I have the knowledge for doing it again if I have to. But why do I want that?