: Crank pulley vs. blower pulley

Elliot M. Siegel
05-20-11, 12:01 PM
I understand that by changing the size of the crank pulley it is easier to go from one diameter to another to vary your horsepower when compared to changing the pulley on the blower snout but doesn't changing the crank pulley increase the speed on the auxiliaries as opposed to changing the compressor pulley. Many of the air conditioner compressors used today have rpm limits. I have no idea about what happens to the alternator and I forget whether the steering is electronic of hydraulic. What can you guys tell me about the mechanics of the two choices?

EMS

Domsz06
05-20-11, 12:04 PM
I understand that by changing the size of the crank pulley it is easier to go from one diameter to another to vary your horsepower when compared to changing the pulley on the blower snout but doesn't changing the crank pulley increase the speed on the auxiliaries as opposed to changing the compressor pulley. Many of the air conditioner compressors used today have rpm limits. I have no idea about what happens to the alternator and I forget whether the steering is electronic of hydraulic. What can you guys tell me about the mechanics of the two choices?

EMS

AC is on it's own seperate belt.

Rabbitctsv
05-20-11, 12:14 PM
and the crank and accessory stays the same, I think you will bolt on a second crank pulley that is dedicated to the SC. so everything will turn the way it is from the factory but the SC

wait4me
05-20-11, 12:59 PM
Both routes you are only changing the blower speed, not anything else.

Dr. Design
05-20-11, 01:02 PM
Hello,
Our crank pulley design allows all the accessories and such to spin at the OEM speed while over spinning the supercharger to the given speed. We offer a few different offerings in diameters to give you variable boost levels. Installing the upper pulley is considered more of a permanent modification to a non-serviceable part.

This picture shows the crank pulley in two pieces -
http://www.d3cadillac.com/graphics/Price%20App%20Guide/D3_Products/D3%20Pulley%20Kit%2009-11%20CTS-V/D3_CTS-V_Pulley-%20(3).JPG

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

EMS

DrumStix
05-20-11, 03:07 PM
If you do a crank pulley you would probably want to opt for one with multiple choices of reasonably priced rings, since it sounds like you may want to change them as you need the power! This also allows you to do an upper later while decreasing the lower ring size and not having to change dampners.

Domsz06
05-20-11, 03:16 PM
If you do a crank pulley you would probably want to opt for one with multiple choices of reasonably priced rings, since it sounds like you may want to change them as you need the power! This also allows you to do an upper later while decreasing the lower ring size and not having to change dampners.

who makes a lower that doesn't allow changing of rings? :stirpot:

BluMachine
05-20-11, 04:39 PM
As an aside, keeping the stock upper pulley provides for more belt wrap and less chance of belt slip than with the smaller, aftermarket upper.

6speeder
05-20-11, 06:33 PM
As an aside, keeping the stock upper pulley provides for more belt wrap and less chance of belt slip than with the smaller, aftermarket upper.

It seems vendors selling lower pulleys keep bringing up the "possibility" of slip but I haven't seen one single case of it from others on here or on my car with the smaller pulley. And they keep bringing up the upper as a "permanent mod of a non-serviceable part". Also not true. My stock upper was undamaged in removable and would be easy to swap back on.

Dr. Design
05-20-11, 06:49 PM
Maybe we should clarify "non serviceable". By that we mean if something was to happen to the supercharger snout and it needs to be replaced, you would have to purchase the entire supercharger assembly. We are all for modifications, we just like to make sure the consumers know the potential concerns before making a decision.

We also offer a 2.55 upper and everyone that is interested in it is also made aware of these same potential concerns. The only time we have seen belt slip is if the correct belt is not being used, just FYI.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

It seems vendors selling lower pulleys keep bringing up the "possibility" of slip but I haven't seen one single case of it from others on here or on my car with the smaller pulley. And they keep bringing up the upper as a "permanent mod of a non-serviceable part". Also not true. My stock upper was undamaged in removable and would be easy to swap back on.

Elliot M. Siegel
05-20-11, 07:47 PM
Thanks to all who responded. I see that I have several options but the one thing I need to be sure to do is have someone complete competent do the job if I have the blower pulley changed. I do like the idea of changing the crank pulley more for less potential of belt slippage when you go to 2.55" upper pulley. I'm not interested right now in more than a stage one setup, ported, CAI, pulley change and a tune. I am considering taking my car down to Lingenfelter, I'm in the Chicago area, and have the entire job done by them with their one year warranty. I'll have to call them to see what they do if you go with a crank pulley for the 630 horsepower and torque setup as opposed to the same rating for the 2.55" blower pulley change which they quote on their website. I'll let everyone know which way I go after I make my decision. I just passed my 900 mile mark today on my 6MT wagon and I am having a ton of fun driving a stick shift car again. My last stick car was years ago when I ran a Maserati Bora.

EMS

Domsz06
05-20-11, 09:18 PM

the lower pulley will not have belt slip.

the upper pulley could since it's smaller and has less friction. Also the upper pulley is not something you can do in your garage, you have to press it on and press it off. If the shop messes up (which happens often) you now have to buy a whole snout. You can't do it yourself unless you have a press. (most people do not). The upper is "not servicable" since it requires someone else to do it. The lower a monkey could do if you wanted them to. it just requires simple hand tools.

Caddy Wagon
05-20-11, 09:25 PM
...We also offer a 2.55 upper and everyone that is interested in it is also made aware of these same potential concerns. The only time we have seen belt slip is if the correct belt is not being used, just FYI.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Belt slip with a smaller upper is not a problem as long as you are using the correct length belt.

6speeder
05-21-11, 09:57 AM
The upper pulley is not a permanent mod, if done correctly, not by monkeys.

The upper pulley (2.55" at least) does not cause belt slip.

The 2.55" upper from W4M looks absolutely stock, I have no fear in taking the car to the dealer for service, but I am sure they would notice the lower with warranty concerns.

The upper costs less and it's install (labor) costs less.

If all you are doing is a mild upgrade, no headers, heads, cam, etc. I see no reason for doing the lower Vs. the upper pulley.

Ross L
05-21-11, 10:50 AM
What 6speeder said:thumbsup: Upper all the way! Add solid isolator while you're in there.

Domsz06
05-21-11, 12:15 PM
The upper pulley is not a permanent mod, if done correctly, not by monkeys.

The upper pulley (2.55" at least) does not cause belt slip.

The 2.55" upper from W4M looks absolutely stock, I have no fear in taking the car to the dealer for service, but I am sure they would notice the lower with warranty concerns.

The upper costs less and it's install (labor) costs less.

If all you are doing is a mild upgrade, no headers, heads, cam, etc. I see no reason for doing the lower Vs. the upper pulley.

the upper pulley is not something you can do in your garage, you can the lower. you have to have the upper pressed on, and you "should" have the new one pressed back on, some choose not to, but I wouldn't do it. So please tell me how the upper is not permanant. Most people here have tools, but not a press. If your lucky enough to have one then it's a different story. One of the two big shops here ruined a vendor's upper and they still have not gotten it right. I'm just saying.

also W4M is the only vendor I know selling one that looks stock. All the others do not look stock at all. (Upper that is)

cbloveday
05-21-11, 12:18 PM
I have had all my work done by Jesse @ wait4meperformance. He is cheaper and closer. Either LPE or Wait4me can get the jog done right.

I too live in the Chicago area and done the drive to Warsaw many times.

Domsz06
05-21-11, 12:20 PM
also the whole issue with belt slip stemmed from the maggies people would put on the v1. they would decrease the upper to spin it faster and only running a 6 rib belt it would slip. No one really wanted to pay for the 8 rib, and even then it would still slip. Everyone is correct, with ours there really has never been any reported belt slip (that I have heard of) but it COULD happen. Also with a lower pulley you can easily change your pulley from a 9.5 to 9 to 8.5 or what ever you want in a matter of minutes.

Ross L
05-21-11, 12:55 PM
Ok, a 12 ton press is $99 bucks on ebay. Factor that cost into the upper pulley swap.:duck:

6speeder
05-21-11, 05:27 PM
Ok, a 12 ton press is $99 bucks on ebay. Factor that cost into the upper pulley swap.:duck:

No thanks. I can afford a Cadillac, I can afford to have a pro install the pulley.

BTW: My cost for install AND three dyno pulls to ensure my tune was safe was $200.00, worth it to me.

Ross L
05-21-11, 07:40 PM
Hey, ya can't beat that. $200 bucks plus the dyno. Just saying a press isn't some overly expensive piece of equipment. And "pro" is very subjective. I would rather do it myself. IMO of course.

6speeder
05-22-11, 09:22 AM
Hey, ya can't beat that. $200 bucks plus the dyno. Just saying a press isn't some overly expensive piece of equipment. And "pro" is very subjective. I would rather do it myself. IMO of course.
I'm good with that also. I do some of my own work, but I've had this shop do pulley changes before, on a 2000 Lightning, and knew it'd be fine there.:cool2: