: Voice Command Feature

Ormond
10-12-04, 11:48 AM
I am at the dealership looking at a loaded STS with navigation, etcetera, and the salesman tries the voice command to change the radio station. After five attempts, we gave up.
Does it have to be trained?
I'll bet he doesn't attempt that again. :histeric:

Slick V
10-12-04, 06:16 PM
No idea, everything we tryed telling the car to do worked. Maybe he wasnt pushing the button.

gothicaleigh
10-12-04, 09:41 PM
You need to know the specific command for any action you want it to do.
Press the button and say "What can I say?" It will list off every known command.

STSgirl
10-12-04, 10:27 PM
The owner's manual states that it is an "Advanced Voice Recognition" system. So I am wondering if the vehicle needs to be programmed with the owners own voice. :hmm:

EgyptianQueen
10-13-04, 01:39 PM
I am at the dealership looking at a loaded STS with navigation, etcetera, and the salesman tries the voice command to change the radio station. After five attempts, we gave up.
Does it have to be trained?
I'll bet he doesn't attempt that again. :histeric:

I am wondering if he pressed the talk symbol on the steering wheel long enough or released when he heard a beep??? :hmm:

Ormond
10-13-04, 01:48 PM
I will have to try it again. I may test drive this afternoon. Perhaps he didn't press it long enough. :yup:

gothicaleigh
10-14-04, 01:14 AM
On the CTS, you just have to push the button. The beep indicates that the system is ready for your command. You don't need to hold the button.

The 'advanced recognition' means that it doesn't have to be programmed. It is intelligent enough technology to accept directions from almost anyone's voice.

Like I said in my previous post, ask it which commands it acknowledges by saying, "What can I say?" after the beep. Also be sure that the person giving the commands is in the driver's seat. The system usually ignores noise from other areas of the car.

Ormond
10-14-04, 08:56 PM
I had better luck this afternoon with the voice commands. My favorite feature was the Bose 5.1 stereo and the XM. Is it wrong to buy the car for the sound system? :rolleyes2

STSgirl
03-07-05, 10:05 PM
I am FINISHED even trying to use the voice command stuff. Today, I wanted to locate "gas stations." Thought that it would be simple, but after getting ice cream parlors 2 times, I finally got gas stations. Then it took about 50 times to get the "POI OFF" voice command to work.
I think that a feature should be perfected just a bit more before production.

DG2
03-07-05, 11:13 PM
I am FINISHED even trying to use the voice command stuff. Today, I wanted to locate "gas stations." Thought that it would be simple, but after getting ice cream parlors 2 times, I finally got gas stations. Then it took about 50 times to get the "POI OFF" voice command to work.

I am finding the same problem with my STS. What is so surprising to me STS Girl is my CTS had voice command that worked flawlessly... I wonder if the system can be modified with downloaded software?

eamc
03-08-05, 11:20 AM
The voice recognition does not need to be programmed. I use a Dragon dictation program f or writing letters, memos, and e-mail, which I have trained for many hours, and can say anything at all and have 99% accurate spelling. A training program can handle hundreds of thousands of words, the automobile speech recognition programs have just a few hundred commands and do not require training.On the other hand, I also have had bad luck with the STS system, but have only lived with it for 48 hours. The dealer clearly had no idea at all how to give voice commands, but that is not GM's fault. I have been practicing with "Navigation I'm hungry" which should add restaurants to the map, but no luck so far. There must be a way - perhaps we are speaking too loud, perhaps there is background noise, but I think it is more likely that I as a greenhorn am just making the same mistake again and again. What about the "What can I say?" command that an earlier replier suggested? Does that work? Has anybody tried the "UK English" option, or a different gender option ?

I am convinced we'll solve it,

Edwin M.

PTC Sclade
03-08-05, 05:41 PM
If you go back and read some of the older posts you will find that there is a great deal of criticism of the Voice technology. It really is a joke and there are a great many problems just like you are experiencing. Most owners just give up and do not use that feature. You really should write Cadillac Customer Service and register your complaints and experiences. That is the only way we will get them to improve the technology and perhaps give us an improved upgrade. Just sit back and enjoy the other features of the car and forget about the voice system which continues to be a joke. Congrats on the car. The more you drive it the better you like it.

CaddyFan2004
03-08-05, 09:48 PM
I had better luck this afternoon with the voice commands. My favorite feature was the Bose 5.1 stereo and the XM. Is it wrong to buy the car for the sound system? :rolleyes2

Not when it's the 5.1 sound system.... Did you use a DTS disc - that's where it really shines !

CaddyFan2004
03-08-05, 09:49 PM

I had a similar experience, but the more I tried the better I got at it, and it really is handy when you get the hang of it....

trmc47
03-13-05, 11:35 AM
I just got my STS. The voice commands work perfectly for me on some commands and not on others. Windows up always works but windows down never works. If I say windows down the response is windows help and I get the help screen. Radio commands work a high percent of the time if I am parked but not if driving with any background noise. I haven't had much time to play with the navigational commands but plan to. The phone commands work perfectly for me.

Tom

Blue Chip
03-14-05, 12:42 PM
I had a similar experience, but the more I tried the better I got at it, and it really is handy when you get the hang of it....

Amen to that. My best advice is to stop thinking it doesn't work and start thinking about what you may be doing wrong.

eamc
03-14-05, 01:32 PM
Fine advice. Truer words were never spoken.

DG2
03-14-05, 07:59 PM
We should not have to think so much !! My voice recognition in my '04 CTS worked perfectly ! I would say "select disk 3 track 8 " and it would follow commands perfectly. My new STS is just crazy. Sometimes it works in CD mode and sometimes, like this afternoon when I was showing off the STS to a client, it did not. I said " CD select disk 3 track 8" and the STS said " defrost on high" ! I repeated the command and the STS said "ejecting disk".

?????? COme On !!:hmm:

When in NAV mode " forget about it" ! You will wind up punching out your NAV screen....

Other then the voice command the STS really is the best car I have ever owned. Awesome car.

EgyptianQueen
03-17-05, 01:51 PM
I think maybe it may have a problem with the microphone. And not to say you aren't doing so, maybe try slowing down and speaking clearly. You may have your dealer check the mic to make sure it is clear of any dust or particles.

Playdrv4me
03-17-05, 04:08 PM
While I agree the system needs to be at least as intuitive as the one in the CTS, 90 percent of the problem can be resolved by lowering your tone of voice. Many people automatically assume that you have to speak loudly to get the system to operate, when in reality it is listening for commands at normal conversational volumes.

DG2
03-17-05, 10:12 PM
While I agree the system needs to be at least as intuitive as the one in the CTS, 90 percent of the problem can be resolved by lowering your tone of voice. Many people automatically assume that you have to speak loudly to get the system to operate, when in reality it is listening for commands at normal conversational volumes.

I wish that were the case but it is not. I tried every tone and something is amiss...

skfurr
03-17-05, 11:43 PM
I wish that were the case but it is not. I tried every tone and something is amiss...

Agreed. Similar system (also sourced from same OEM: Denso) in the Corvette has the same problems.

Running joke over on the Corvette forum: I press the voice button and say "I'm hungry." The car replies "The system is displaying the brothel icons." :)

If anything the STS is worse, because the Corvette has fewer commands. It doesn't have the changer, the voice doesn't control the A/C or defroster, and there's no Bluetooth or integration with OnStar.

Is this just normal, or is there actually someone who can use this system accurately? It should be much more accurate; there are only so many possible commands. It's not like you're composing a letter or something...

Stephen

BenC
03-19-05, 12:20 AM
I, too, have had trouble with the voice recognition feature. Most recently, when I would give the command "temperature 70 degrees," the system would respond by acknowledging a temperature in Celcius units, and buck the setting up to 80 or above Fahrenheit. I decided the problem possibly was that the unit was set to recognize metric units rather than English, so, following the instructions in the owner manual, I commanded "display units English." Each time I gave that command, the system responded by acknowledging some completely different and irrelevant command. Finally, as I kept repeating the command, the sytem changed to Italian language and is now stuck there, not recognizing the proper command to operate in English.

After reviewing the other posts in this thread, I thought it would be a good idea to open a case with Cadillac customer service, to help try to build up a file of complaints on this problem. The representative was very snippy with me, telling me that it didn't matter what "rumors" were out there about the voice recognition system, if I hadn't been to the dealer yet about it, nothing could be done. She went on and on essentially berating me for calling Cadillac instead of going to the dealer, although I explained that I was convinced from reading many other posts that there was nothing the dealer could do to make the system operate properly. Repeatedly, she argued that whatever was going on with my car may not at all be the same problem someone else may have had, and nothing would be done until the matter was initiated through a dealer. She also implied that Cadillac knew of no problem with the VR system. When I asked whether there was a TSB out on the VR system, she started lecturing me about recalls. Only with my persistence did she finally give me a "no" answer to my question as to whether there was such a TSB, but even then her spiel was along the lines that TSBs are just guidance for the dealers, seemingly implying that I should not even know about such publications and I certainly would not be capable of understanding them. What a way to deal with an owner!

Incidentally, do all of you have a male voice on the system that speaks with a British accent? My personalization features are set for US English (male), and other than getting the VR units to English measurements (which I could not do), I can find nothing that would tell the VR system to use US English. (I recognize that the VR system and vehicle personalization settings apparently are not one and the same.) What am I missing in this regard?

eamc
03-19-05, 12:21 AM
Re voice commands: I have made some improvement by working with each command some dozen times, and definitely agree that speaking softly is a help. Some unpredictability does remain, and I would like to suggest the possibility that the STS microphone quality may be involved. When I and others use the microphone on OnStar private telephoning, the call recipients are all amazed how "metallic" and "other-continent-like" our voices sound, and refuse to recognize us at first. They all say "Who's this??" and when you say "Jack," they say "Jack who?" Seriously. Their voices come in fine, but then the Bose speakers are definitely good speakers. What's the feeling out there? Call somebody and ask how you sound.

Edwin M.

eamc
03-19-05, 12:34 AM
My system (built in Feb,) uses a female respondent, standard US speech. My 2 dealers are not much help (I went to 2 for security wheel lugs) and my salesman does not know the commands to give, saying "Im hungry" instead of "Navigation I'm hungry" That command (the respondent says "Navigation Restaurants") and the windows commands I have worked with through kindergarten, high school college, and postgraduate - and I'm better now than I was, almost a professor. I actually feel hungry:madtalkin after saying it ten times, and then the machine delivers. It is, after all, a great car, runs silent, runs deep. The ACC works like a charm, the navigation finds a needle in a haystack and guides you through multi-lane cloverleafs like Houdini.

Edwin M.

rustadillac
03-30-05, 02:08 AM
The VR is great at changing the radio as long as the XM channel is under 100 (one hundred). If you say "Radio, Select twenty-one XM" --no problem. Anything over 99--forget it. The bugger starts 101.1 FM... and so forth. I agree also that the mic is of poor quality. People I have spoken to over the bluetooth connection and OnStar personal calling feature tell me that they can barely hear/understand me... There seems to be no sensitivity adjustment. Inexplicably though, softer commands are more successful with my VR as well.

:dammit::dammit::dammit: Defrost Off...

eamc
03-31-05, 12:27 PM
Hi - Have any of you guys gone to a dealer and started what an early post called an "issue" - without which Cadillac would not entertain complaints? It seems to me that a software update or microphone replacement might eventually appear.

Edwin M.

kingroadie
04-01-05, 11:39 AM
My voice command seems to be acting up too. However I have found something that might relate to the problem. GM TSB #05-08-126-001. It seems that there are problems with the outbound caller not being heard, in my case my bluetooth was the first indication. I was told by the people that I was talking to that it sounded like a was 1/2 a mile away in a tunnel yelling at them. I did some research and found this TSB. Correct me if I am wrong. But I believe that the mic for the phone is the same as the voice command. There may be some link to the problems. I will follow up after the dealer does the radio reprogram on my car.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36046