: '05 V giving way to '09 V today...any insider info on the '09?

js615
05-19-11, 09:00 AM
So I got tired of hanging out in the 2004-2007 V forum and only peeking in now and then to see what you guys and gals were up to in the 2009+ forum, so I'm signing the papers on an '09 today...sad to see the '05 go (she's been so good to me), but excited to get the '09.

Looks like there is a ton going on in the forum - lots of reading to do - any insight on hot topics/issues I should be searching on?

2 other questions for you kids:
(1) the new-to-me '09 has the stinking front license plate bracket mounted to the front fascia (UGH!) anyone got a line on paintable plugs or OEM plugs that can be used to cover the holes if I take the bracket off?
(2) The stock exhause note seems a bit anemic to me (I had the GM option Borla on my '05 that provided a nice throaty rumble). What is the option dejour for the second gen V's?

Regards,
J.

neuronbob
05-19-11, 09:14 AM
Lots of exhaust options.

Axleback Corsa Touring and Sport
B&B
Borla
Wait4me
...and so on.

I have Corsa Touring and love it.

Can't help you with your first question as I don't have a front plate factory mount.

js615
05-19-11, 09:37 AM
Thx neuronbob. I'm not going to be much into modding right away, but would like the V to "announce it's presence with authority". (appologies to "Nuke" LaLoosh)

Any other things to look out for with the 2ns gens? I'm surfing the forum now, but insight is appreciated.

PremierJosh
05-19-11, 09:43 AM
You will forget all about your V1 within the first 5 minutes. My personal favorite exhaust is removing the rear cats, restrictions, and moving the X pipe up front. Its not loud but you know its there. Beyond that I would go with the corsa if you want it a little louder.

njdevilz1
05-19-11, 09:50 AM
I recently removed my front license plate bracket and had a hard time finding something to cover up the holes.

I finally found some plugs that worked perfectly.
They are the perfect size as the are a very snug tapered fit , the head on them is very small , head does not protrude , nice gloss black finish that matches the Raven black paint nicely.

I am from Canada and found the plugs at Canadian Tire.
They are panel/trim retainers.
Yellow package with black at the bottom that says BODY-TITE!
Name of company that makes them is Dorman Products Inc.
Made for Nissan & Toyota
Part #45470
website is -- www.DormanProducts.com

Ones I got came in a package of 2
I bought all they had on the shelf in case they stop making them. I believe they were about 2 bucks per pack.

Hope that helps.

njdevilz1
05-19-11, 09:56 AM
I just went to the website listed above.
I entered the part # into search on their main page and for some reason a totally different part came up.

After doing some more searching , I found the correct part.
It can be found here:
http://www.dormanproducts.com/c-156-body-fasteners-interior.aspx?pagenum=2

Second one down.
If you do not have the raven black V , hopefully they make something simular that can be painted whatever color you need?

jwa999
05-19-11, 09:58 AM
http://bumperplugs.com/BPindex.html
They match colors for a lot of manufacturers.
(click on the color tab)
I have them for my 996 and to cover up the keyhole as well.
Fortunately, no holes on my white V.

oneman42
05-19-11, 10:02 AM
What deal did you get?
Thanks,
George

njdevilz1
05-19-11, 10:03 AM
$25 for 2 pieces of plastic the size of a dime??? :bighead:

I can see if you needed to color match if you had something other than black.
In all honesty , their plugs are way bigger and noticeable.... and $23 more.

js615
05-19-11, 10:40 AM
@ONeman42 - '09 Silver with black interior. Recaro, suedeed steerign wheele, Nav, Ultraview - loaded expect it's an auto. So badly wanted a manual, but it's been awefully difficult to find a 6-speed. I'm hoping this is not a major sacrifice on my part. It;s the only misgiving I have on the whole deal, but all else considered, it's still a hell of a ride. I'm getting it as a certified Cad used - so the extended warrantey coverage is a nice plus.

@njdevilz1, @jwa999 - thanks for the tips. other than the car being an auto, this is the only other "bummer" I have with the car. Maybe I'll just get a nice V logo chrome plate to put in the bracket.

jb_bgg
05-19-11, 12:46 PM
FYI - There is a black/black '10 manual in classifieds here that looks very good...

js615
05-19-11, 01:49 PM
@jb_bgg Yep - that is a sweet looking ride! I have never had good luck with black cars - don't know why it's been that way, but I avoid owning them them anymore. I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with the auto - or at least I'm pretty much hoping so... ;)

oneman42
05-19-11, 02:51 PM
@ONeman42 - '09 Silver with black interior. Recaro, suedeed steerign wheele, Nav, Ultraview - loaded expect it's an auto. So badly wanted a manual, but it's been awefully difficult to find a 6-speed. I'm hoping this is not a major sacrifice on my part. It;s the only misgiving I have on the whole deal, but all else considered, it's still a hell of a ride. I'm getting it as a certified Cad used - so the extended warrantey coverage is a nice plus.

@njdevilz1, @jwa999 - thanks for the tips. other than the car being an auto, this is the only other "bummer" I have with the car. Maybe I'll just get a nice V logo chrome plate to put in the bracket.

How much was it if you don't mind? If so, please use my email address gcoman@telus.net
Thanks,
George

thebigjimsho
05-19-11, 10:05 PM
You will forget all about your V1 within the first 5 minutes. My personal favorite exhaust is removing the rear cats, restrictions, and moving the X pipe up front. Its not loud but you know its there. Beyond that I would go with the corsa if you want it a little louder.
I didn't. I miss my '04...

thebigjimsho
05-19-11, 10:06 PM
Also, headers with stock axle back exhaust is a very nice option. Let it age a little and the stock muffs will season very nicely...

js615
05-20-11, 04:16 PM
@jwa999 - just ordered from bumperplugs.com - I talked to them and they have a great product (mutiple passes of base coat and 3 passes of clear coat - 3 day process to make the plugs - and they are an exact match to my paint code).

Anyone know where to get the best deal on exhaust?

thebigjimsho
05-20-11, 09:17 PM
Jesse at w4me has good prices...

js615
05-20-11, 09:32 PM
@thebigjimsho - Luke at Lindsay mentioned that to me today when I called him...seems that with Linday's price on the headers and including 4 hours for install, it's about the same price as a cat-back system. Is this what you have done? I am looking to improve the exhaust note to somethign that is a bit throatier but has a nice bite at acceleration - yet doesn't sound like a Sprint Cup car if I'm, just cruising around town. Would this fit the bill? Also - My apoologies for the ignorance, but who/what is w4me?

thebigjimsho
05-20-11, 09:38 PM
@thebigjimsho - Luke at Lindsay mentioned that to me today when I called him...seems that with Linday's price on the headers and including 4 hours for install, it's about the same price as a cat-back system. Is this what you have done? I am looking to improve the exhaust note to somethign that is a bit throatier but has a nice bite at acceleration - yet doesn't sound like a Sprint Cup car if I'm, just cruising around town. Would this fit the bill? Also - My apoologies for the ignorance, but who/what is w4me?
w4me is Jesse at wait4me performance.

I know a lot of guys have done headers with a catback and then went back to the stock muffs. I had a full B&B exhaust on my '04 but I wanted the '09 to be a little more subtle. A full exhaust on this car will be loud, especially if you go for Corsa. Headers and stock muffs will get you a more aggressive sound without being over the top. Really, it's right on when matching up against the Euro assassins. Also, at first, the stock muffs may seem a little quiet. But after time and some aggressive driving, it wakes up A TON...

js615
05-20-11, 09:41 PM
By the way - I have a full set of Optional GM wheels and new tires mounted for the series 1 V is you all know anyone that might be interested.

The tires are Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sports and are showing 8/32nds on tread depth. The rims are the original GM option polished aluminum (part #46423) and have no scuffs or rashes. They were only ever used in the summer months as I had winter tires mounted to the factory wheels that I used October through April each year.

Here is a link to some pics (I'll be posting some detailed pics and listing in the classified later). http://www.flickr.com/photos/19269606@N05/sets/72157626712797446/

darvish
05-21-11, 08:04 AM
I kept my 05... if it sells,fine. If not, that is OK too. My wife actually prefers driving the 05. I don't know what it is... but the V1 is fun to spank in a different way than the V2. I was thinking it would be time to get back into road racing...The V1 would make a cool SCCA T1 car.

js615
05-21-11, 11:18 AM
@darvish - lucky bastard!! ;)

JFJr
05-21-11, 01:18 PM
Yeah, there are no flies on the 2005 CTS-V either. I loved mine and thought that the LS6 with stock mufflers sounded much better than my 2009, probably because of supercharger noise interference.

Jud
(Sent from my iPhone 4)

js615
05-21-11, 02:48 PM
Anyone got any sounds clips of headers with stock mufflers?

thebigjimsho
05-21-11, 03:36 PM
I kept my 05... if it sells,fine. If not, that is OK too. My wife actually prefers driving the 05. I don't know what it is... but the V1 is fun to spank in a different way than the V2. I was thinking it would be time to get back into road racing...The V1 would make a cool SCCA T1 car.
Agreed. The V2 is the competent cruiser and speed demon. I do miss the V1 for its charming old school feel. It also likes to be flung more in the corners and is more tossable.

I love them both...

JimmyH
05-21-11, 07:58 PM
headers :drool:

js615
05-21-11, 09:56 PM
@JimmyH - you are the fourth person that has said headers with factory mufflers - I'm thinking this must be the way to go...is this what you have done? If so, got any sound clips?

JimmyH
05-22-11, 06:25 PM
I never said with factory mufflers. If it were me, lt headers, hi-flow cats, magnaflow exhaust. Maybe even cat delete.
Right now, my car is bone stock, so don't go by me.

embassured
05-22-11, 09:34 PM
JS,
My guess is you bought the silver automatic @ Auto Werks. If correct, it was a finalist for me until I called this past Thursday and was told it had been sold. I was torn between a manual or an automatic but your purchase helped me make up my mind and I went with the black, manual, listed by forum member DG144 (who is great guy!).

I had an '06 and absolutely love the Gen 2 - what a beast. Congrats to both of us.

Best,
Eric

js615
05-23-11, 10:24 AM
@embassured - Yep - that's the one! Did you get a chance to even talk to them about it? I had been talking to them for about a week on it as of alst Thursday. I too, was firstly interested in a manual, but after researching the Silver on Silver laoded 6 speed I really wanted, I leanded of it's interesting history: a detailed VIN check exposed that it was indeed a one owner car...that one owner was Fard Motor Company and it was the car they purchased for their proving grounds in Michigan. I called the dealer in Michigan that serviced it for them and he gave me the scoop...so I immediately backed away and went to my #2 car which was the Silver on Ebony Auto at Barrington. All said & done, Ron and the boy at Barrington were amazing to deal with!! Did the whole thing via phone - and they were not only accomodating but transparently honest about what they could do and couldn't - and really, there wasn't much they didn't do to make me happy. Sorry I beat you on the trigger. For what it's worth I'm still somewhat jealous - I really wanted a stick, but I have a BAAADDDD track record with black cars, so I just avoid them altogether anymore; plus Barrington Auto Werks certifed the V for me, which gets me the factory warrantly extended to 6/100K with no deductible.

Indeed - congrats to us both! Now - how to hide my jealousy for the 700HP guys... :)

SPEED74V
06-05-11, 11:16 AM
w4me is Jesse at wait4me performance.

I know a lot of guys have done headers with a catback and then went back to the stock muffs. I had a full B&B exhaust on my '04 but I wanted the '09 to be a little more subtle. A full exhaust on this car will be loud, especially if you go for Corsa. Headers and stock muffs will get you a more aggressive sound without being over the top. Really, it's right on when matching up against the Euro assassins. Also, at first, the stock muffs may seem a little quiet. But after time and some aggressive driving, it wakes up A TON...

Hello all,
I just bought a 10' CTS-V (Silver / 6 Speed Manual) and I have been browsing your forum for about a week now. I absolutely love this car!!! For you guys staying with the stock mufflers, what brand and size headers are the best for this car? I live in SD, so I plan on getting rid of the cats. Is there anything with the stock exhaust that needs to be tweaked?

I will probably end up with the LPE 650 or 700 package sooner or later. I want to get the car out to the road course before I change anything to see how she feels first. I should be headed out our local 2 mile road course in a couple weeks and I can't wait!! I still have my 2010 LPE 600 Camaro but I am looking to sell it very soon. After driving the V, I don't think my Camaro will be getting that much love anymore.

I am glad to have found this forum and look forward to the great info here:thumbsup:

JimmyH
06-05-11, 02:32 PM
welcome. you are required by law to post some pics of your car.

SPEED74V
06-05-11, 10:21 PM
Here is a pic of my Camaro and a pic of the new CTS-V:thumbsup:

SPEED74V
06-05-11, 11:58 PM
I'm pretty sure everything is all there

thebigjimsho
06-06-11, 12:16 PM
Hello all,
I just bought a 10' CTS-V (Silver / 6 Speed Manual) and I have been browsing your forum for about a week now. I absolutely love this car!!! For you guys staying with the stock mufflers, what brand and size headers are the best for this car? I live in SD, so I plan on getting rid of the cats. Is there anything with the stock exhaust that needs to be tweaked?

I will probably end up with the LPE 650 or 700 package sooner or later. I want to get the car out to the road course before I change anything to see how she feels first. I should be headed out our local 2 mile road course in a couple weeks and I can't wait!! I still have my 2010 LPE 600 Camaro but I am looking to sell it very soon. After driving the V, I don't think my Camaro will be getting that much love anymore.

I am glad to have found this forum and look forward to the great info here:thumbsup:Welcome, d00d!

I always love B&B products but they weren't out yet when I got my Kooks headers. When I first made the change, the sound was more aggressive but still a little subdued. But after you get some miles and some aggressive driving(2 track days last summer), they really wake up! I can only imagine how much more it'll be without cats...

JimmyH
06-06-11, 01:38 PM
Here is a pic of my Camaro and a pic of the new CTS-V:thumbsup:

fellow camaro SS owner :thumbsup:

I like the wheels.

SPEED74V
06-07-11, 12:33 AM
Welcome, d00d!

I always love B&B products but they weren't out yet when I got my Kooks headers. When I first made the change, the sound was more aggressive but still a little subdued. But after you get some miles and some aggressive driving(2 track days last summer), they really wake up! I can only imagine how much more it'll be without cats...

Thanks for the info - I definitely need some exhaust. I don't look at the tach much and like shifting to the engine sound. I will have to search for some audio clips and see what I like best. I really like the Borla that I have on my Camaro.

fellow camaro SS owner :thumbsup:

I like the wheels.

Thanks - it will be sad to see it go. Too bad I don't have room to keep it. It think I will get some good track time out of the V though. I drove my V and Camaro back to back today and I definitely need a little more hp in the V. It looks like it is pretty easy to get there, it should be fun:thumbsup: