: That first scratch.

chris13
05-19-11, 12:21 AM
Isn't it hard having a brand new car and dreading that first ding or dent or scratch? Well I've pretty much got it covered. We noticed some bumper damage on our SRX the very first day we took it home. Brought it back to the dealer and they replaced the bumper cover at no charge. The very next day my wife scratched that newly repaired bumper. I was able to buff that out. Then the garage door opener scraped the rear hatch down to the metal. I couldn't look at the car for days. My brother in law owns a body shop and is going to repair it as soon as possible. Mind you we just got the car on March 31. Hopefully we got that out of our system now! Other than that we really love the car. I'm looking forward to getting some wax on that Black Raven paint and chrome, if it ever stops raining in Connecticut. I hope your Cadillac experience is a little less traumatic.

MiCR0C0SM
05-19-11, 01:43 AM
Our garage door opener also scratched the rear hatch recently. Not sure I'm as lucky as you to know someone who can repair. =(

algiorda
05-19-11, 08:05 AM
I feel your pain...bought mine in July 2010 and my Silver SRX was egged on Halloween and left a circle of spider cracks and a small indentation. I saw the kids who did it, but I couldn't catch them in time; they would have made excellent hood ornaments. I've yet to fix it....Grrrrrrr!

Smokin' SRX
05-19-11, 10:50 AM
Yup. Can be upsetting. But it's only metal. It can be fixed!

I also have a small blem. You wouldn't notice unless you did a slower inspection. Most people are so blown away by the overall beauty of the X that they don't see or care about small blems/scratches. Reminds me of a girl in high-school (think Sofia Veragas!) who had a pimple and didn't want to go to school for 2 days. Believe me, none of the guys cared about that blemish......:cool2:

SS

PJ1520
05-19-11, 11:45 AM
I can fully appreciate those who take pride in the appearance of their vehicle. If one keeps up with a scratch here and a ding there, the SRX can look very nearly new many years down the road.

One of the advantages of buying pre-owned is that your vehicle comes with a couple of these blemishes; so one more blemish, while still traumatic for many of us, is not as traumatic. But it makes me nutso. Sometimes it seems like the world is populated by too many who resent others (me) who pride themselves on a pristine ride. Then they proceed to take it out on me and my vehicles.

A year ago I had just gotten out of my SRX. A guy then entered a pickup and began backing out of the parking space next to me. BANG! He had cut his wheels too soon and took out my right rear quarter panel. Yup, he was talking on his cell phone. He managed to do it despite the fact that I was parked in an end spot and for safe measure was over the parking space line furthest from his vehicle. Even my anal-retentive, strategic, defensive parking did not save me. He was insured. My SRX got fixed on his dime, and at my collision shop.

About four months later I was not so lucky. Same parking scenario, end spot, over the line to boot. The difference this time was that I was not there at the time. The perpetrator took out the exact same quarter panel and also scraped the rear fascia on that side. The jerk skipped, leaving me holding the bag. The latter cost me $880 out of pocket for the repair because I have a $1,000 deductible.

Where has the sense of responsibility and respectful conduct toward the property of others gone?

PJ

chris13
05-19-11, 10:49 PM
Well I guess I'm not alone. I appreciate the feedback and I'm sorry for your mishaps. Sometimes it makes you crazy to have a new car or car you love. Put a little touch up paint on the scratch and it is much less notiable now, until it is fixed for good. Like most things in life,it hurt the most at first and lessened over time. It's not completely killing me right now but still anxious to have it repaired.
I've installed the OEM splash guards and they are a perfect fit and match.Now considering some thicker floor mats with the new Cadillac crest on them.(from US Speed) Happy motoring.

stevec5375
05-20-11, 01:24 PM
I can fully appreciate those who take pride in the appearance of their vehicle. If one keeps up with a scratch here and a ding there, the SRX can look very nearly new many years down the road.

One of the advantages of buying pre-owned is that your vehicle comes with a couple of these blemishes; so one more blemish, while still traumatic for many of us, is not as traumatic. But it makes me nutso. Sometimes it seems like the world is populated by too many who resent others (me) who pride themselves on a pristine ride. Then they proceed to take it out on me and my vehicles.

A year ago I had just gotten out of my SRX. A guy then entered a pickup and began backing out of the parking space next to me. BANG! He had cut his wheels too soon and took out my right rear quarter panel. Yup, he was talking on his cell phone. He managed to do it despite the fact that I was parked in an end spot and for safe measure was over the parking space line furthest from his vehicle. Even my anal-retentive, strategic, defensive parking did not save me. He was insured. My SRX got fixed on his dime, and at my collision shop.

About four months later I was not so lucky. Same parking scenario, end spot, over the line to boot. The difference this time was that I was not there at the time. The perpetrator took out the exact same quarter panel and also scraped the rear fascia on that side. The jerk skipped, leaving me holding the bag. The latter cost me $880 out of pocket for the repair because I have a $1,000 deductible.

Where has the sense of responsibility and respectful conduct toward the property of others gone?

PJ

There are many in today's society who don't give a hoot about other people or their property. Some people would even destroy your property on purpose if they knew for sure they would get away with it.

PJ1520
05-20-11, 01:36 PM
Chris, Steve, and all,

My two "not my fault" snafus turned out OK. The fit, color matching, and finish produced on the right side of the rear rear fascia area and the right rear quarter panel by my collision guy of 20 years came out absolutely perfect, both times.

After my collision guy's quote on the hit/skip incident, where I had to pick up the whole tab myself (deductible), I said we had a deal, provided he included removing some other "stuff" on the rear fascia which were compliments of the previous unknown owner and my wife. He agreed.

In the exchange, I was ahead on the cosmetics but of course was way behind on the $. And I wouldn't have been behind on the $ either if that lousy, no-good, bottom feeding, slimy slug, miserable excuse for a human being who hit me and skipped had an ounce of decency in him (or her).

Re the hit/skip incident, when it happened the wife and I were on our way home from dog training. It was a beautiful evening, so we decided to stop on the way to dine at a favorite small and reasonably-priced local restaurant (lobsters $10 per). The outdoor section allowed obedient and quiet dogs. The area was roped off from the passers-by and had a "dog bouncer" to evaluate the entering dogs and to insure there was no dog racket or customer/dog carnage. My dog passed muster and laid quietly the whole time while we dined. When we returned to our SRX after dinner the sight of the smashed rear quarter panel and no "I hit your car, sorry, call me to make amends note" lit me up!!!!! Big time.

To this day I still dream of witnessing the perpetrator hitting my SRX, bolting, then chasing him down, and finally confronting him with my Doberman. After he dropped a load, wet his pants, and begged for mercy, only then would I call the police and turn him in for a property damage hit/skip. Problem is, my dog would probably just lick him to death.

PJ

frankrizzo135
05-20-11, 09:20 PM
Well I have another tale about store parking lots. It is about the lazy, inconsiderate S.O.B. shoppers who leave the shopping cart by their parking space after they unload it and just drive away. I came out of the store last week and a cart rolled or was pushed by another car into the side of my SRX. It must of not been going very fast because it did't leave a dent but it did left some marks and blems. The dealer did me a favor , they power buffed it out but it took a second visit with another type of compound to get it all. Sometimes I guess parking lots are worse than roads and highways for accidents because some jerks probably feel that in a parking lot, driver etiquette does not matter.