: Best American car you can buy?

drewsdeville
05-18-11, 10:39 PM
I saw this article on one of the tech sites that I visit regularly. Thought it might be of some interest here:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/cadillac-cts-v-sport-wagon,news-10981.html

Jesda
05-18-11, 10:44 PM
I suppose it could become a collectible due to its low volume and high desirability. I agree though, its my top pick for any current US-designed and built car.

Stingroo
05-18-11, 10:46 PM
Cool hatch.

Aron9000
05-18-11, 11:26 PM
I'd take a CTS-V coupe over the wagon, but just barely. And I agree with Roo about it being a hatchback and not a wagon, there isn't that much room behind the rear seats with the way the roof line and rear door are designed.

DouglasJRizzo
05-18-11, 11:31 PM
I guess so....

Really, I prefer the coupe, but the wagon is nice.
For "best" tho, I'm not sure. I think that current Cadillac QC is good, but Ford has made huge inroads in the quality department. I guess it depends on what "best" you're looking at.

Jesda
05-18-11, 11:40 PM
If there's a D-pillar, its a wagon.

drewsdeville
05-18-11, 11:41 PM
If there's a D-pillar, its a wagon.
:thumbsup:

Destroyer
05-18-11, 11:43 PM
I like it! I don't $73k like it but I like it. When I can pick one for $25k or so I'll like it more. :lildevil:

ThumperPup
05-18-11, 11:44 PM
it's a wagon you know roo is excited now

Stingroo
05-18-11, 11:44 PM
That car barely has a C pillar at all. I don't buy it. It's nonsense.

Actually TP, I don't like the CTS Hatchback. I like its powertrain though, so I'd happily take a ZL1. :)

drewsdeville
05-18-11, 11:54 PM
That car barely has a C pillar at all. I don't buy it. It's nonsense.

Barely? Based on what, external appearance?

Pull away the sheetmetal and it has all pillars, A-D. Whether it was made to be obvious from the exterior is irrelevant. A wagon it is.

Stingroo
05-19-11, 12:01 AM
It's just not big enough to be a wagon. It's no longer than a CTS sedan (actually, it's shorter overall).

I'm really don't want to get into this. Most people here disagree with me on the subject, most people on the B-wagon forum do not. Personally, I think the CTS "wagon"'s rear end is hideous too, so it doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

I'd prefer either of the other two V's.

Submariner409
05-19-11, 12:07 AM
Man, oh man is THAT ever a subjective thread title - absolutely no reading or research involved: "best car" opinions are like a**holes: everybody has one.................

drewsdeville
05-19-11, 12:12 AM
Put dem der bifocals on and notice the question mark after the title that was taken from the article in question :)

Stingroo
05-19-11, 12:14 AM
Indeed, this was only this one site's opinion. Car of the Year says it's the Volt.

Everyone here probably has a different answer. That's why cars are fun.

Submariner409
05-19-11, 12:17 AM
Bifocals ?????.............hell, try tri- or constant gradient ! (I lost my tin ear horn :alchi:)

Ranger
05-19-11, 12:30 AM
"Best" car is as subjective as "best" oil. Probably more so. It's one auto writers opinion, nothing more.

orconn
05-19-11, 12:52 AM
^^^ How can you guys say that? Everyone knows automobile magazines know whats "best" for each and everyone of us! They can even tell us what color will best suit our choice to their recommendation!

Jesda
05-19-11, 01:10 AM
most people on the B-wagon forum do not.

Thats because they smoke too much weed :lildevil:

Stingroo
05-19-11, 01:13 AM
Not really, we're nothing like the stereotype you're thinking of.

Jesda
05-19-11, 01:20 AM
The last census proved it, brah

cadillac kevin
05-19-11, 01:24 AM
I agree with 'roo. its a hatchback, not a wagon. put a cts-v drivetrain in a B-body wagon then we'll talk. 190 mph custom cruiser :drool

Jesda
05-19-11, 04:22 AM
http://smiliesftw.com/x/Maria.gif (http://smiliesftw.com)

Submariner409
05-19-11, 01:31 PM
It's one auto writers opinion, nothing more.

Back in the Dark Ages one auto writer/tester whose opinions I respected was Tom McCahill.

thebigjimsho
05-19-11, 02:20 PM
I'd take a CTS-V coupe over the wagon, but just barely. And I agree with Roo about it being a hatchback and not a wagon, there isn't that much room behind the rear seats with the way the roof line and rear door are designed.
It's a wagon. Enough of that BS...

thebigjimsho
05-19-11, 02:22 PM
It's just not big enough to be a wagon. It's no longer than a CTS sedan (actually, it's shorter overall).

I'm really don't want to get into this. Most people here disagree with me on the subject, most people on the B-wagon forum do not. Personally, I think the CTS "wagon"'s rear end is hideous too, so it doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

I'd prefer either of the other two V's.
The V is the best looking wagon. On. The. Planet.

thebigjimsho
05-19-11, 02:29 PM
Not really, we're nothing like the stereotype you're thinking of.
If you think a wagon has to be super huge with a rear facing seat and a visible D pillar, yeah, you are like it. Just because an internet forum has decreed that history's view of a true wagon is wrong does not make it so.

Wagons have come in different sizes, seating configs and number of doors for decades. Your B peeps will not redefine what a true wagon is...

Aron9000
05-19-11, 02:35 PM
The V is the best looking wagon. On. The. Planet.

Yeah right. It ain't got nuthin on da old Family Truckster

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3047/2560168486_bb8b99d609.jpg

And yeah, some guy really did build that out of an early 80's Ford Country Squire. Its got an LS2 v8 under the hood as well.

stoveguyy
05-19-11, 05:09 PM
gotta be a new corvette. or 1-2yr old if you want to save a little money. if your going to have a fast car at least have one that gets looks.

gdwriter
05-19-11, 08:45 PM
I love that Cadillac has the balls to make a V wagon in the first place.

orconn
05-19-11, 09:06 PM

I don't kow about "balls," Cadillac is really just imitating the European sportswagon thing!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-20-11, 01:16 AM
It's a wagon, and it's awesome.

Playdrv4me
05-20-11, 06:35 AM
It's a wagon, and just barely.

Jesda
05-20-11, 06:40 AM
It's a wagon, and just barely.

You're a wagon, and just barely.

thebigjimsho
05-20-11, 10:05 AM
Newton is a waggin', and not bearly...

Sevillian273
05-20-11, 03:01 PM
This argument is a bunch of jackwagonry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaFy0x_Uixo

Why dont we just chug on over to namby pamby land?

gdwriter
05-20-11, 03:58 PM
I don't kow about "balls," Cadillac is really just imitating the European sportswagon thing!Americans have pretty much abandoned wagons for minivans and crossovers, and other than the Subaru Outback, I don't think any wagon sells in volume here. Even some European makes aren't bothering to bring their wagon models to the U.S. market.

Cadillac knew that the market for the CTS Sportwagon would be small, with an even smaller market for the V. That they did it anyway — and produced the most bad-ass wagon since a 455-powered Vista Cruiser, probably ever — takes some balls. And I applaud Cadillac for doing so.

Playdrv4me
05-20-11, 05:56 PM
Cadillac knew that the market for the CTS Sportwagon would be small, with an even smaller market for the V. That they did it anyway — and produced the most bad-ass wagon since a 455-powered Vista Cruiser, probably ever — takes some balls. And I applaud Cadillac for doing so.

Yeah I have to agree with you completely here. I applaud Cadillac for stepping out of the fold a bit with this. In fact, V Wagon sales are so small that they are available on order only. No dealer really keeps stock save perhaps a showroom display, if that. This will also keep the resale of the wagons high in my opinion.

vincentm
05-20-11, 05:59 PM
Man, oh man is THAT ever a subjective thread title - absolutely no reading or research involved: "best car" opinions are like a**holes: everybody has one.................

And right now mines is in pain, damn buffalo chicken pizza...

thebigjimsho
05-20-11, 06:41 PM
I think Cadillac said it had to sell 11 V wagons to be a profitable venture. We have at least that many on the forums...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-21-11, 09:31 AM
Do the "regular" CTS wagons sell well?

EChas3
05-21-11, 11:44 AM

We may not agree much, but we do on this. Whether it's 'balls' or whatever...

It's nice to see GM take one action that reflects a love of high performance automobiles.

:thumbsup:

ryannel2003
05-21-11, 12:08 PM
Do the "regular" CTS wagons sell well?

Not really. When I worked at the dealer last year we had one that sat on the lot for almost a year before somebody finally bought it. I've only seen 4 or 5 on the road, but I swear the other day I saw a red CTS-V wagon driving down my road. It was sexy.

thebigjimsho
05-21-11, 03:27 PM
I've seen a few wagons. Not a lot, but a few. Cadillac freely admits it wasn't going to be a barn-burner. At least the Vagon is a Bahn-burner...

Koooop
05-23-11, 01:04 AM
There's been lots of cool wagons, the V wagon is up there with the best of them. I'll look good in one of them!

thebigjimsho
05-23-11, 04:26 PM
There's been lots of cool wagons, the V wagon is up there with the best of them. I'll look good in one of them!
That's not saying much, you stud...

MauiV
05-23-11, 05:22 PM
Ummmmmmmm, Im fairly certain that the Rossion Q1 and the SSC Ultimate Aero are built in America thus making this a 2 horse race and nothing out of the Big 3 gets an invite, including that soccer mom mobile.

Koooop
05-23-11, 07:57 PM
That's not saying much, you stud...

Typo, I meant to say "I would make a Red V Wagon look even better".

thebigjimsho
05-24-11, 12:01 AM
hmm...