: 1985 DeVille OMG help me please

jetengine
05-18-11, 07:46 PM
hey guys, i need a new song radio for my car, took the pioneer out and the sony in, then i started the car and i have no digital read outs for the climate control and fuel data center, the funny thing is when i moved the light switch and turn the head lights on they would work but the dimmer controlled the fan,i removed the radio and now i get no digital read outs, i noticed when i turn the car on and off i see the readouts for a quick second and thats it. what should i do, thanks

jetengine
05-22-11, 08:07 PM
hey guys i got car dash working correctly again, i connected the new sony radio to the wire harness adapter which was fine used a cross referance diagram between the car and radio, the dash digital readout wire was connected to a brown dimmer wire from the car wire harness, hense turning the light swith on and off turned the dash digital read out on and off and moving the light dimmer changed the blower speed, as far as the radio goes it has the main large harness on the side but on the upper right side the is another wire adapter that has three wires (brown, orange, orange with white strip) i believe for power ant, i used the unswithed ant trigger wire for the radio to keep the memory which is working fine, next to the same adapter (upper right) was another wire that didnt have a quick disconnect it was just cut i looped it around to the switched orange/white wire to and the instrument panel works like it should, i think the wires at that location might have been modified and not from the factory like that, anyway it works, any ideas about the wire with out the quick disconnect and why connecting it to the switched power wire would make the dash work. thanks

piorun
05-23-11, 01:00 PM
I used this website for wire colors and it worked like a charm
Cadillac Fleetwood / Cadillac Deville
1985 to 1993 - Radio Installation (http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/GM/PDF/460017.asp)

jetengine
05-23-11, 03:58 PM
thanks for your help

85DeVille
03-18-14, 01:33 AM
jetengine, I am having the same problem with my 1985 Sedan DeVille. I took it to Fry's last week to get my deck installed and after it was installed the electronic climate control, fuel gage, and radio stopped illuminating and showing any readings. When I first start up my car the gauges will flash on and off quickly...enough to just get a glimpse of the info it is displaying. Have you had any luck getting yours to work again?

I'm glad I'm not the only one out here with the same problem. Thanks for posting about your 85 DeVille. It's so hard to find any postings or info about this make and model out here!!!

MoistCabbage
03-18-14, 01:43 AM
Neither this thread, or jetengine, have been active in nearly 3 years.

still_walkin
03-18-14, 03:54 AM
Sounds like you need to pull the radio out and post what colors are going to the factory harness. Something wasn't wired right

MoistCabbage
03-18-14, 04:07 AM
.....Why haven't you just taken it back to the installer?

85DeVille
03-19-14, 03:31 AM
I didn't even leave the parking lot before I noticed the digitals weren't coming on so I went back and the worker tried fixing it for about an hour but wasn't able to.

I put in a claim for them to repair my vehicle but in the mean time, I would like to know the problem myself.

still_walkin
03-19-14, 05:28 AM
This is random but have u checked ur fuses

MoistCabbage
03-19-14, 05:39 AM
If the screens are working for a second when the car is first started, it's not a fuse.

85DeVille
03-19-14, 01:19 PM
Yes...I had the guy at the place check my fuses also, he said they are good, no shortage!!