: Virginia is for lovers of lovely roads!

orconn
05-18-11, 06:40 PM
While Virginia's VDOT has to be one of the lousiest highway departments in the country, Virginia itself has some of the most delightful roads for recreational driving in the country. While Virginia has some decent limited access highways for when you really need to get someplace, it also abounds in two to four lane roads that wind through the countryside from the flat Tidewater areas, to the roiling Piedmont and into the moderately challenging, but picturesque Blue Ridge and Appalachian mountains. You can't really surf in the morning and ski in the afternoon like you can in Southern California, back you can pack a wide variety of scenery and activities into a day in Virginia.

I often take an afternoon to explore the roads that wind through "horse country" and surround the city of Richmond and always am amazed at the pastoral beauty the abounds here. With a little more planning and time I can have a beautiful ride over the Blue Ridge in to the Shenandoah Valley to the rolling hills that become the Appalachians. Maybe lunch in Lexington and a visit to Robert E. Lee's tomb on the historic Washington & Lee University campus.

For real eastern mountain beauty the windy two lanes of West Virginia are a real revelation for their views as they twist through the Appalachian/Alleghenys with lovely streams and crystal clear lakes. The high price of gas in West Virginia comes back in the form of the states well surfaced primary and secondary roads.

So if you are out this way take some time to enjoy the driving pleasures both these states have to offer!

thebigjimsho
05-18-11, 06:57 PM
Been up, down and all around VA and WV. Tis some amazing terrain...

Jesda
05-18-11, 09:42 PM
West Virginia. Southern poverty with Northern weather.

Nice mountain drives though.

Submariner409
05-19-11, 12:41 PM
orconn, You ever get over to I-81 and head north toward Luray and Front Royal, Harper's Ferry, and out toward NW Maryland ???? Pretty country but 81 is definitely dead deer country.............or you could just head toward Skyline Drive.

- I think PDOT (Pennsylvania) ties with VDOT for building Italian/Roman roads = instant ruins. MDOT is right in the mix, too. Gotta spend them Fed gas tax $$$ !!!

Aron9000
05-19-11, 01:45 PM
Nobody can be worse than Alabama's DOT. When we drive to the beach, the interstate is god awful. Then when we turn off onto the state road in southern AL near Brewton, every single side road that intersects the main road is red dirt. Not gravel, but dirt. Looks like something you'd get stuck on without 4wd if it was to rain real hard.

thebigjimsho
05-19-11, 01:47 PM
Nobody can be worse than Alabama's DOT. When we drive to the beach, the interstate is god awful. Then when we turn off onto the state road in southern AL near Brewton, every single side road that intersects the main road is red dirt. Not gravel, but dirt. Looks like something you'd get stuck on without 4wd if it was to rain real hard.
Not enough licking of Obamer's ass...

ga_etc
05-19-11, 03:10 PM
No, it's just how they roll in AL.

orconn
05-19-11, 03:29 PM
orconn, You ever get over to I-81 and head north toward Luray and Front Royal, Harper's Ferry, and out toward NW Maryland ???? Pretty country but 81 is definitely dead deer country.............or you could just head toward Skyline Drive.

- I think PDOT (Pennsylvania) ties with VDOT for building Italian/Roman roads = instant ruins. MDOT is right in the mix, too. Gotta spend them Fed gas tax $$$ !!!

I used to drive 81 a lot back when we lived in Great Falls,VA and my son was attending Washington and Lee in Lexington, VA. While the deer were a worry the semi's were a real threat too. Back in the late '90's it was not uncommon to be delay, on the way to Lexington for here of four hours because of wrecked semi's.

I used to take Route 15 north from Leesburg towards Gettysburg and take a jog off into the Catochtin(SP?) Mountains. Very pretty country; lots of twisties and pretty streams to be seen.

Skyline Drive is beautiful, especially during the Fall Color Season, but gets rather congested during many times of the year.

Submariner409
05-19-11, 04:52 PM
Skyline is indeed a beautiful drive, and everyone in the 4-state area also thinks so during the fall foliage change.......................

Bunch of my relatives (father's side) live up in Catoctin Furnace and Thurmont.

gdwriter
05-20-11, 03:23 PM
Oregon has many lovely drives, including old U.S. 30 that parallels I-84 through the Columbia River Gorge, the passes over the Cascades and the Coast Range, U.S. 30 along the Columbia River from Portland to Astoria, U.S. 101 along the Pacific Coast and even I-5 going through the mountains for Southern Oregon. Some of these roads unfortunately tend to be crowded, but the scenery is spectacular. I'm fortunate to have a number of lightly traveled back roads near me where I can drive the Seville at a brisk pace.

Our roads are generally in decent shape, although the pavement material on some roads tends to be noisy.