: 2010/2011 Turbo engine vs 2012 new engine?

flashy09
05-18-11, 07:18 PM
If I buy a 2010 or 11 turbo model, how does that compare to the new engine coming out for 2012? They are both 300 hp I believe. Thank you!

Smokin' SRX
05-18-11, 09:41 PM
the Turbo needs premium gas! Not the 2012 Eng.
The Turbo has about same 300 HP (308 HP for 2012 Eng) , but has about 35 ft/lbs of torque MORE! And it comes ON sooner. Winner by about 10%= TURBO.

BUT, the 2012 only, is rumored to be a Flexfuel eng! So if you live near an E-85 gas station, run the E-85 and pick up roughly 30 more HP!! ( the eng timing adjusts automatically within 10 miles). E-85 costs 25% less money than reg gas, but yields 25% less MPG.......roughly a wash.

You won't be sorry either way, but if gas $$ is no problem and top performance a must, go TURBO.

JIMHO

SS

Marc NY
05-18-11, 09:49 PM
SS is correct... but I do believe one can expect that the 3.6L will get better gas mileage than both the 3.0L & the 2.8 Turbo does.

Smokin' SRX
05-18-11, 10:03 PM
Good point my friend! Very likely a solid mile or two additional at least! Purely subjective tastes/needs here.

SS

b4z
05-21-11, 11:07 AM
You won't pick up 30 more hp with the E85.
If you are looking for the most off the line acceleration with your foot on the floor get a 2.8L Turbo.
If you are looking for a more refined engine and almost the same acceleration get the 3.6L
The new LFX 3.6L has many improvements that will ake it quieter more fuel efficient than the turbo and it will also rev more quickly due to the lighter weight connecting rods.
I think you will be happier with the improved for '12 3.6L

qball
05-21-11, 01:34 PM
The 2.8 turbo puts out roughly the same HP as the 3.6L (300HP) but the turbo has a good bit more torque (295 vs 260 for the 3.6). Once again, many of these normally aspirated engines put out plenty of horsepower but the peak torque comes over a narrow RPM range. GM is claiming a broader torque curve for the 2012 3.6L but I I haven't seen graph so it's hard to compare. If your goal is pure acceleration, I'm sure the 3.6L will get you to the next stop light in a hurry just as the turbo version will do. If you do mostly city driving and live in a flat area, the 3.6 should serve well. However, as I've posted before, these high HP engines with narrow torque, coupled with the current transmissions constantly shift up and down hunting for the proper gear, drives me nuts. The turbo does none of that. Hopefully the 2012/3.6L will address that. Flex fuel is a nice option and the turbo needs premium...but if you can pony up the coin for a Caddy...maybe not such a big deal?

Smokin' SRX
05-23-11, 03:49 PM
You won't pick up 30 more hp with the E85.
If you are looking for the most off the line acceleration with your foot on the floor get a 2.8L Turbo.
If you are looking for a more refined engine and almost the same acceleration get the 3.6L
The new LFX 3.6L has many improvements that will ake it quieter more fuel efficient than the turbo and it will also rev more quickly due to the lighter weight connecting rods.
I think you will be happier with the improved for '12 3.6L

Agreed. My post was not gotten from an actual dyno test, but a guesstimate from my "seat-of-the pants" dyno, and my own multiyear experience, with my flexfuel GMC Yukons, both a 2003 and 2011 model. They call for/run on 87 octane. I too, very much doubt it will be a pure 30 HP gain ,on the charts. But E85 burns longer, cooler and slower than gasoline, providing a more exaggerated ignition burn as the piston continues to go down. It can do it because of E85's higher octane rating of 105. The cars computer adjust for this automatically. This real world feel is probably increased, earlier torque, also with some extra ponies. (maybe really 10-15?) I had a big launch diff. Pinned me back better. I felt it, it's real and it's spectacular! LOL Feels like 30 HP with the extra torque thrust, on my Yukons. (my '03 has 285 HP and the '11 has 403 HP stock, on reg gas).

There's gotta be something to this: The 2011 Buick Regal Turbos web site (GM!) are now claiming almost same gas MPG between E85 and reg gas, due to car computers ability to adjust and turbos ability to fully utilize the 105 octane. That's 15-30% cheaper fill-ups. Should be at least 25% less MPG with E85...........not almost same. Incredible stuff.

If you look at any of the Auto Forums that play with fast rides, such as (Corvettes/Mustangs/Dodge) many reports of more power and torque are shared, some with dyno tests. It's well known.

The prospect of a Flexfuel 2012 SRX is very exciting. What a "free" option!

SS

PS............only fair to mention E85 has known problems with cold starting (below 15* F) and hot starts with air temps above 95* F. To avoid warranty problems, use E85 with Flexfuel rated vehicles only.

Razorecko
05-24-11, 11:24 AM
E85 will give you more power because of the really high octane level. It will let you run more timing. Thats why many sport car fanatics will do conversions on their cars to run on E85 as its cheaper than race fuel